Moparts

OE - Level Judging

Posted By: Mr D21

OE - Level Judging - 12/08/12 08:09 PM

Would like to hear from an OE judge regarding what reproduction parts are acceptable. If I try to build my car to OE level, is there flexibility when it comes to exhaust, rubber (hose / belts) etc. Or does every part have to be original ?
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: OE - Level Judging - 12/08/12 08:17 PM

Slippery slope.

Keep in mind that it doesn't matter how expensive, how difficult, or how impossible the goal may seem, the bottom line is that you are trying to duplicate the EXACT appearance of an original production line original car. ANY deviation (if recognized by the judges) can cost you points. Keep in mind that producing a "perfect" example regardless of the car you start with will be nearly impossible, you can only hope to incur the smallest amount of deductions and reach the level that you set out to accomplish. It is typically a VERY expensive way to go. You can learn more about O.E. judging here: ICCA O.E. judging
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: OE - Level Judging - 12/08/12 08:18 PM

You are specifically refering to oe judging that takes place at the mopar nationals?
Posted By: Mr D21

Re: OE - Level Judging - 12/08/12 08:23 PM

good point - Im in NorCal and doubt that I will be shipping a car to the Nationals for judging, but definately will go to the Spring Fling.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: OE - Level Judging - 12/08/12 08:25 PM

Steve, have you guys started to do O.E. Judging at S.F.?

Other than the few times the ICCA has done it at the MATS I've never seen a true O.E. judging program anywhere west of the Rockies.

Re: OE - Level Judging - 12/08/12 08:38 PM

Quote:

Other than the few times the ICCA has done it at the MAPS I've never seen a true O.E. judging program anywhere west of the Rockies.

No. Too low of demand and too high of resources.

Exactly. Most of the OE cars and people willing to take them to events are on the east coast.

We at Spring Fling do not judge to a "level" like gold, silver, bronze. We pick 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc to the cars that are present in the class that day.

In theory if two cars that won OE gold at Nationals were at Spring Fling in the same class one would place higher than the next. Chances of that happening are extremely low at best.

Re: OE - Level Judging - 12/08/12 08:49 PM

Quote:

good point - Im in NorCal and doubt that I will be shipping a car to the Nationals for judging, but definately will go to the Spring Fling.

I think you should discuss this with our head judge at Spring Fling to get a feel for things. He is not just a head judge but uniquely a person that has wholly himself restored Mopars to a very high level of recognition.
Posted By: Stewpar

Re: OE - Level Judging - 12/08/12 10:18 PM

I know one of the OE Nats judges lives in California....

Re: OE - Level Judging - 12/08/12 10:51 PM

Quote:

I know of two. Another that did it before Dan Helfat.

...Costs, equiptment, and most of all getting enough cars.
Posted By: 70 buzz

Re: OE - Level Judging - 12/09/12 01:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Other than the few times the ICCA has done it at the MAPS I've never seen a true O.E. judging program anywhere west of the Rockies.

Exactly. Most of the OE cars and people willing to take them to events are on the east coast.

We at Spring Fling do not judge to a "level" like gold, silver, bronze. We pick 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc to the cars that are present in the class that day.

In theory if two cars that won OE gold at Nationals were at Spring Fling in the same class one would place higher than the next. Chances of that happening are extremely low at best.

The O.E. judging is car being judged for its own merit and not against any other car or car.wp
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: OE - Level Judging - 12/09/12 01:35 AM

Quote:

The O.E. judging is car being judged for its own merit and not against any other car or car.wp

I don't think "ECS Dave" would agree with that statement!

Re: OE - Level Judging - 12/09/12 01:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Mr. Helfat is a fine individual.

Does he ever drive the Satellite around town?

Re: OE - Level Judging - 12/09/12 02:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

IIRC, Spring Fling gave it 1st place and/or best of show over a decade ago. Wasn't popular choice with hemi and 6-pack guys, but quality is quality. Haven't seen the car since that era.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: OE - Level Judging - 12/09/12 02:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

IIRC, we gave it 1st place and/or best of show over a decade ago. Wasn't popular choice with hemi and 6-pack guys, but quality is quality. Haven't seen the car since.

Must be the Blue 4 dr... Awesome car!!

Re: OE - Level Judging - 12/09/12 02:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's why I said "No" because we do not offer that type of judging program; which I assume you mean judging to Original Equiptment against a standard with awards given at levels under that standard.

Do you think the first car that won OE Gold at Mopar Nationals could win OE Gold again if preserved in the same state it was that first year?
Posted By: Troy

Re: OE - Level Judging - 12/10/12 05:44 PM

Yes the four door won that year. Boy did on that one amoung the other car owners.

oh well, life goes on.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: OE - Level Judging - 12/10/12 06:04 PM

I remember that car well.

No one has ever answered my question, HOW could that car be judeged OE ?

Re: OE - Level Judging - 12/10/12 06:16 PM

Quote:

You are referring to the 1970 Satelite/Belvedere 4 door?

Did it go through Mopar National OE level judging once? IIRC, I saw it listed once in a Senior Stock trophy list

It was around 15 years ago it was at Spring Flings. I remember there were pictures of it in a magazine.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: OE - Level Judging - 12/10/12 11:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You are referring to the 1970 Satelite/Belvedere 4 door? Yes

Did it go through Mopar National OE level judging once? Yes

With an air grabber hood and 15" rallyes, neither of which were avail on a 4 door satellite as far as I know of
Posted By: 44D6PAKCUDA

Re: OE - Level Judging - 12/11/12 02:55 AM

So it got OE judged with 2 major options added to the car that this model could not have come from the factory with? How did it score..Gold?
Posted By: Paul Jacobs

Re: OE - Level Judging - 12/11/12 03:51 AM

It did not have the two options on it the years it was judged. It also never went through OE. It won senior division. I have kept the list of all OE cars since 1994, not to mention I have known Dan and judged the nats since 1995.

Here is the car in 1997. 14" Rallyes and no air grabber. Maybe someone was thinking of a simlar car?

Having competed in the OE field of the nats six times, I can tell you it is a very daunting task-though I think most of you guys here are pretty sharp and already knew that.

Attached picture 7498006-danscarsmall.jpg

Re: OE - Level Judging - 12/11/12 03:56 AM

Paul is correct with everything posted above. The car never did go through OE, but I feel it would have done well if it had.

I am sure the when he won the spring fling. Just like when an AMC won best of show at the nats one year. Regardless, the car is flawless and has to be judged on it's own merits and not popularity.........
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: OE - Level Judging - 12/11/12 05:33 AM

When I saw it at Spring Fling there was no Airgrabber or even a bulge hood.. And it had 14" Rallies... The only thing I saw that wasn't right was Dual Exhaust... I don't believe that was available with a 318 though I could be wrong...
It did have Power Windows, Cruise Control, A/C, Rear Defog, Deluxe Seat Belts... Highly optioned & a very high level resto... While it wasn't a car I would have wanted I did think it deserved the award...
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: OE - Level Judging - 12/11/12 03:50 PM

Quote:

I am sure the when he won the spring fling. Just like when an AMC won best of show at the nats one year. Regardless, the car is flawless and has to be judged on it's own merits and not popularity.........

I had a similar incident wit ha 73 or 74 318 B body in the 71-74 class at a show that placed well , might have given it first , it was a very low mile unrestored car and it was better than the high performance models in the same class .
Posted By: Troy

Re: OE - Level Judging - 12/11/12 05:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You are referring to the 1970 Satelite/Belvedere 4 door? Yes

Did it go through Mopar National OE level judging once? Yes

With an air grabber hood and 15" rallyes, neither of which were avail on a 4 door satellite as far as I know of

I know the car that your thinking of but that is not it...different car.
© 2024 Moparts Forums