Moparts

GAUGE CLUSTER RESTO-WHO-OPINIONS?

Posted By: Black 69 Beeper

GAUGE CLUSTER RESTO-WHO-OPINIONS? - 12/01/12 02:16 PM

i want to send my gauge cluster from 69 road runner out to be restored. i want to make sure all the gauges, lights, etc. work and i want the artwork on the gauges redone. basically i want it brand new to reinstall in my dash frame. anyone have a company they had a good experience with or someone they would recommend over another vender?

Attached picture 7484127-driverside.JPG
Posted By: 1969RR

Re: GAUGE CLUSTER RESTO-WHO-OPINIONS? - 12/01/12 02:36 PM

Hello, When I restored my '69 Road Runner, I used a guy in Iowa (I think, been a while) named John. Company was 2K Gauges. I do not know if he still does that or not. He did a great job, sent me all kind of update pictures, and was very reasonable. PM me and I'll give you his phone#. I don't know if he'd want me to post it here if he's not doing it anymore. When I did my Challenger, I used Dash Worx out of AR. Both did a great job. Take care, Jeff
Posted By: pnypwr

Re: GAUGE CLUSTER RESTO-WHO-OPINIONS? - 12/01/12 03:12 PM

Quote:

Hello, When I restored my '69 Road Runner, I used a guy in Iowa (I think, been a while) named John. Company was 2K Gauges. I do not know if he still does that or not. He did a great job, sent me all kind of update pictures, and was very reasonable. PM me and I'll give you his phone#. I don't know if he'd want me to post it here if he's not doing it anymore. When I did my Challenger, I used Dash Worx out of AR. Both did a great job. Take care, Jeff

my mother said if I got nothing nice to say, say nothing at all...

id use instrument specialties out of RI they do nice work...ive used PCG in florida but I dunno if theyre still around.
Posted By: mopar383

Re: GAUGE CLUSTER RESTO-WHO-OPINIONS? - 12/01/12 04:13 PM

A guy I know used Dash Worx as well and it turned out nice
Posted By: TX9AAR

Re: GAUGE CLUSTER RESTO-WHO-OPINIONS? - 12/01/12 05:05 PM

I used Performance Car Graphics they did a great job. I have never heard any one say anything bad about Instrument Specialties.

http://www.instrument-specialties.com/

http://www.performancecargraphics.com/index.html
Posted By: jose jones

Re: GAUGE CLUSTER RESTO-WHO-OPINIONS? - 12/01/12 05:40 PM

Red Line gauges in California do nice work
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: GAUGE CLUSTER RESTO-WHO-OPINIONS? - 12/01/12 07:29 PM

I'd use/recommend Mike Mancini at Instrument Specialties in Rhode Island...Mike does nice quality work, keep in mind your looking at $1000 to $2000 for a complete cluster/dash restoration regardless of whom you choose, and the condition of your parts, and the "grade" of restoration you choose, esp the instrument faces, decal or silkscreen, or replacement/repro...

Make sure you understand that most warranties from these vendors start after you recieve your instruments back,....not 5 or 10 yrs later when you decide to install them...most warranties on workmanship run 1 to 3 yrs max

mike
Posted By: 5wndwcpe

Re: GAUGE CLUSTER RESTO-WHO-OPINIONS? - 12/02/12 02:38 AM

Quote:

I'd use/recommend Mike Mancini at Instrument Specialties in Rhode Island...Mike does nice quality work, keep in mind your looking at $1000 to $2000 for a complete cluster/dash restoration regardless of whom you choose, and the condition of your parts, and the "grade" of restoration you choose, esp the instrument faces, decal or silkscreen, or replacement/repro...

Make sure you understand that most warranties from these vendors start after you recieve your instruments back,....not 5 or 10 yrs later when you decide to install them...most warranties on workmanship run 1 to 3 yrs max

mike

They did two for me and came out quite nice. I'm happy with them.
Posted By: 72ls5fla

Re: GAUGE CLUSTER RESTO-WHO-OPINIONS? - 12/02/12 03:48 AM

Quote:

I used Performance Car Graphics they did a great job. I have never heard any one say anything bad about Instrument Specialties.

http://www.instrument-specialties.com/

http://www.performancecargraphics.com/index.html

I used David @PCG also. He did my tach (rebuild/face) and my factory clock as well.

Could not have been any happier!
Great guy - VERY fair pricing and very fast turn-around time.
You will not be dissapointed.

Bill
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: GAUGE CLUSTER RESTO-WHO-OPINIONS? - 12/02/12 10:10 PM

I had my 70 Charger Cluster done about 10 years ago by AutoInstruments.com (Gentry is the guy I spoke with) he left such a lasting impression on me that 5 years ago I sent him the cluster for my 69 Charger and he took care of everything, the silkscreening, the refurb of the chrome, the painting, the calibration...top notch. I knew it was going to the right guy and I would definitely send him another cluster if I ever needed to
Posted By: MMC Detroit

Re: GAUGE CLUSTER RESTO-WHO-OPINIONS? - 12/03/12 11:31 AM

Quote:

mike

Posted By: moparjo68

Re: GAUGE CLUSTER RESTO-WHO-OPINIONS? - 12/04/12 07:34 AM

Quote:

I had my 70 Charger Cluster done about 10 years ago by AutoInstruments.com (Gentry is the guy I spoke with) he left such a lasting impression on me that 5 years ago I sent him the cluster for my 69 Charger and he took care of everything, the silkscreening, the refurb of the chrome, the painting, the calibration...top notch. I knew it was going to the right guy and I would definitely send him another cluster if I ever needed to

I sent my cluster to the same folks. Had long conversations with Gentry. Very knowledgable. Will actually return your call...........everytime. Will help you troubleshoot if having problems. Highly recommend!!!
Posted By: maud

Re: GAUGE CLUSTER RESTO-WHO-OPINIONS? - 12/04/12 11:54 AM

Dang!!! You guys are spending up to $2,000 to restore clusters? I've never had one done, just always lived with faded ones. Think I'll let the next owners of my cars have mine done. Signed; Ole Tightwad.
Posted By: BURNTOJO

Re: GAUGE CLUSTER RESTO-WHO-OPINIONS? - 12/04/12 12:33 PM

Just had mine done by Gentry at auto instruments.com too!! I had a 70 challenger rally cluster done. looks flawless!! I am about ready to install it. Everything was re calibrated, set up for elec. ignition. and painted. Very happy. I would recommend them!!!!
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: GAUGE CLUSTER RESTO-WHO-OPINIONS? - 12/04/12 01:53 PM

I think the 2K price was for the complete dash not just the cluster?
Posted By: 1969RR

Re: GAUGE CLUSTER RESTO-WHO-OPINIONS? - 12/04/12 03:41 PM

Quote:

I think the 2K price was for the complete dash not just the cluster?

I would think that would be the price for the complete dash cluster. Mine wasn't near that on my Road Runner. 2K did mine for about 500.00. I just sent all my gauges to Dash Worx. I took everything apart, just sent in what was in need of repair. I think if you can take good pictures and have some mechanical aptitude, just take everything apart yourself and save a bunch of $$$. Dash Worx did all my gauges, including a new tach. Bill was $700.00. Do a lot of the work yourself! Jeff
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: GAUGE CLUSTER RESTO-WHO-OPINIONS? - 12/04/12 05:24 PM

'just take everything apart yourself and save a bunch of $$$.'

Yes...
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: GAUGE CLUSTER RESTO-WHO-OPINIONS? - 12/04/12 05:34 PM

I used AutoInstruments but if I was to do another I'd send it to Instrument Specialties. Mine looked great but the ammeter didn't work.

As far as costs go, in my case ('70 Superbee Rallye dash);

- rebuildable core - $200.00 ebay (actually bought three, but...)
- AutoInstruments - $400.00
- tach, Charger Specialties - $425.00
- repop bezels, PG Classics - $465.00
- repop woodgrain overlays, PG Classics - $569.00
- misc. repop knobs, NOS switches and used switches - $200.00

Total: $2,259.00 PLUS shipping, taxes and duty.

....of course the ENTIRE dash was far more; NOS dashpad; Jules' steering column, heater box, vent box, wiper transmission; radio; speaker; M&H dash harness; repop steering wheel; die job; sandblasting and refinishing the dash frame; restored heater controls and cables....and I'm sure I'm missing a few things. Total between the steering wheel and the firewall? Well over $5,000.00...and people wonder why I laugh when someone says they're gonna have a resto done for $20k!

Dave
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: GAUGE CLUSTER RESTO-WHO-OPINIONS? - 12/04/12 08:16 PM

I guess I was ahead of the game because my cluster was very nice to start with.

I LOVE what Instrument Specialties did for me with mine along with replating the ash tray.
THANKS MIKE!!!!

Posted By: DPelletier

Re: GAUGE CLUSTER RESTO-WHO-OPINIONS? - 12/04/12 08:30 PM

Quote:

I guess I was ahead of the game because my cluster was very nice to start with.

I LOVE what Instrument Specialties did for me with mine along with replating the ash tray.
THANKS MIKE!!!!

Looks great Yeah, $1,194.00 of mine was for the core, woodgrain and tach so you are way ahead right out of the gate!

Dave
© 2024 Moparts Forums