Moparts

Frame rail repair

Posted By: NortheastMopar

Frame rail repair - 11/12/12 10:06 PM

My both frame rails have rust through holes under the bottom right were the front kframe bolts were located. Kframe welded nuts are basically gone and all that is there is about a three inch square hole where they use to be. The rest of the frame rails are fine. Is this an easy fix or is replacing the frame rail a better option? The care is a U code so it has the welded in torque boxes which is also in great shape. I want to try and repair this without risking weakening or having the body bend on me. Anybody done this and have first hand advice as to best way to go??
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Frame rail repair - 11/13/12 04:24 PM

You can remove the rails without completely removing the torque boxes, I would avoid removing them, rails are not too bad to do
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Frame rail repair - 11/13/12 05:51 PM

If the rest of the frame rail is indeed solid, I would simply cut out the small rusty pce and weld in an appropriate patch.

Dave
Posted By: elitecustombody

Re: Frame rail repair - 11/13/12 11:15 PM

If rest of the rail is solid, there is no need to replace full rail, just cut out the cancer and weld a new section. You can buy a whole new rail if the area is too big and you want correct curvature,hole and nut locations and cut a patch from that.
Posted By: areibel

Re: Frame rail repair - 11/14/12 01:38 AM

Patching iisn't that bad, but I'd check it out closely. I've seen a lot of rotted rails, it's usually down by the TB crossmember or on the section ahead of it.. The section by the K member is a new one to me, I'd wonder if it wasn't worse when you cut out the obvious bad section?
Posted By: sthemi

Re: Frame rail repair - 11/14/12 05:40 AM

I would agree to section in the rotted bottom side, using a repo or clean used part as a donor.
That isnt a real difficult job and should be as strong as factory.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Frame rail repair - 11/14/12 06:51 AM

I patched quite a few spots on mine and when you cut the sections out, you can take a look inside and see if it's pitted beyond where you repair.
Posted By: chromedome426

Re: Frame rail repair - 11/14/12 03:33 PM

Quote:

My both frame rails have rust through holes under the bottom right were the front kframe bolts were located. Kframe welded nuts are basically gone and all that is there is about a three inch square hole where they use to be. The rest of the frame rails are fine. Is this an easy fix or is replacing the frame rail a better option? The care is a U code so it has the welded in torque boxes which is also in great shape. I want to try and repair this without risking weakening or having the body bend on me. Anybody done this and have first hand advice as to best way to go??

Reading your discription of having good frame rails except for some 3 inch "square" holes where the K-frame nuts use to be........Almost sounds like someone may have used a cutting torch to remove the K-frame at one point in time.

Take lots of measurements from another car to locate the welded nuts back in the correct location. Unless you plan on making it an altered wheel base.

Posted By: Silver70

Re: Frame rail repair - 11/14/12 07:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Reading your discription of having good frame rails except for some 3 inch "square" holes where the K-frame nuts use to be........Almost sounds like someone may have used a cutting torch to remove the K-frame at one point in time.

Take lots of measurements from another car to locate the welded nuts back in the correct location. Unless you plan on making it an altered wheel base.

I parted a rusty 74 cuda and it rusted in the same place while the rest of the rails weren't that bad... not where I usually see them rust, but there are plates there and an area that dirt and such will stay.
Posted By: cudabitten

Re: Frame rail repair - 11/21/12 01:21 AM

I did a similar repair a few months ago. Your repair may more or less involved. Maybe these pics will help. I had the same questions when I considered the repair. Just make sure you have good penetration.

© 2024 Moparts Forums