Moparts

Resto Rick undercoating, tips & drying time needed??

Posted By: NV69B7RR

Resto Rick undercoating, tips & drying time needed?? - 10/30/12 05:11 AM

I'm going to undercoat my rear wheelwells this weekend and could use any tips you guys may have. The directions are good an say to use light coats. How long to dry between coats?
I'm using a 3M 8997 Shutz gun and pressure wll be set per the directions.
I'm trying to get as close to factory appearing as possible so any tips, tricks, or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: carcrazyguy

Re: Resto Rick undercoating, tips & drying time needed?? - 10/30/12 05:26 AM

Quote:

I'm trying to get as close to factory appearing as possible so any tips, tricks, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Don't try to make it look pretty. That was not a concern when the cars were built.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Resto Rick undercoating, tips & drying time needed?? - 10/30/12 05:33 AM

I'd reccomend masking off any areas that should not have it (like the entire outside of the car) that stuff can mess up a good paint detail job on the body as well as small parts, it doesn't come off easy.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Resto Rick undercoating, tips & drying time needed?? - 10/30/12 05:59 AM

Most cars I have seen, owned, and worked on it was put on heavy. I haven't been able to get it to look like the factory as much as I wanted to yet. I just got another gallon last week and going to do more experimenting soon.
Posted By: 69 mayflower

Re: Resto Rick undercoating, tips & drying time needed?? - 10/30/12 07:00 AM

I used Ricks undercoating to undercoat the entire underside of my 69 Sport Satellite.That's how it came from the factory.I don't think you will have any problems getting it to look like the factory did it.This is a very nice product that Rick makes.It goes on very nice and as long as you give it 20 minutes or so between light coats,you should be able to build it up to get that peaky appearance.You can't really mess it up.I would just go for it until you get the look your after.I did cut the top off of the gallon can that it came in so I could pour it into another container and then thoroughly mixed all of the particles.I bought 4 gallons and used 2 1/2 gals. for the underside.1/2 gallon for the inside of the quarter panels,which when dry,paints up to look exactly as the factory did it.I will use the remainder for the front wheelwells and for any future touchups.Just mask real well and go for it,you will discover how nice and easy this really is.
Posted By: Chally426

Re: Resto Rick undercoating, tips & drying time needed?? - 10/30/12 11:36 PM

Let it dry, and apply multiple coats to get it real thick and sloppy in areas, and as said, tape every thing off and not just the car, the floors, walls, tools anything that might get hit...I spent the good part of a day on my knees scraping it off my garage floor....But it is great stuff....
Posted By: CornDogsCharger

Re: Resto Rick undercoating, tips & drying time needed?? - 10/31/12 01:01 PM

I've used 3M Body Shutz and had a lot of luck. I was wondering if anyone has done a comparison between 3M's product and Rick's product? I'm always up for trying something new (if it's better) but I also believe in "don't fix it unless it's broken" haha Thanks!

Justin
"CornDog"
Posted By: 1cuda

Re: Resto Rick undercoating, tips & drying time needed?? - 10/31/12 02:03 PM

let me explain our method of applying proof coating so it looks like factory-we don`t use the sprayable proofcoat-we use the brushable one which is really thick like body filler almost. then we get out our sika gun that loads up sausages of sika and connects to an air line which compressors the tube through the nozzle and sends it out with no air-just pressurized proofcoat. yes it takes ages to refill a used empty sika tube with brushable proofcoat. there is no overspray because there is no air. the fade out is about 1/2 inch with adjustments to the gun. and thick!!
all the best
frank.
Posted By: SSAAHemiFan

Re: Resto Rick undercoating, tips & drying time needed?? - 11/02/12 03:19 PM

Quote:

I've used 3M Body Shutz and had a lot of luck. I was wondering if anyone has done a comparison between 3M's product and Rick's product?

I'm interested in this myself - My car had the sound deadening package so the entire bottom is coated. I just want to touch up some of the spots where it flaked off(oil from trans loosened it)

Can you blend either of these products in to match the original texture ?
Posted By: burdar

Re: Resto Rick undercoating, tips & drying time needed?? - 11/02/12 03:36 PM

Quote:

I've used 3M Body Shutz and had a lot of luck. I was wondering if anyone has done a comparison between 3M's product and Rick's product?

Mike Ross used the 3M body schutz on his pink T/A. There are pictures and an explanation of how he applied it in this thread. If I remember correctly, he had to use another product ontop of the body schutz to get the correct color.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...&PHPSESSID=
Posted By: SSAAHemiFan

Re: Resto Rick undercoating, tips & drying time needed?? - 11/03/12 05:39 PM

Thanks for that info.
Posted By: RestoRick

Re: Resto Rick undercoating, tips & drying time needed?? - 11/03/12 06:02 PM

It's been awhile since I've used it, but the 3M body shutz dries to a smoother & "rounder" texture.
Posted By: 68KillerBee

Re: Resto Rick undercoating, tips & drying time needed?? - 11/03/12 09:05 PM

I got a quick question that isn't too far off topic. Is this where a jig would hold the body while undercoating would be sprayed? Car is a 68 GTX convertible. The is above the driveshaft near the rear of the car.
two pictures:
http://s19.beta.photobucket.com/user/hun...D8A353.jpg.html
Posted By: RestoRick

Re: Resto Rick undercoating, tips & drying time needed?? - 11/03/12 09:20 PM

Can't say I've seen a masked strip where your picture shows, but I've seen areas by the rear spring hangers and front torque box where they were masked off.

Also you'll see a masking tape strip over the seat studs in some ass'y plants. Your mask strip could've been a piece stuck up there temporarily before tearing into pieces to use elsewhere and never got removed.. just a guess..

Rick
© 2024 Moparts Forums