Moparts

"By Plymouth" emblem color?

Posted By: Mopar_Mudder

"By Plymouth" emblem color? - 09/28/12 03:07 PM

I am searching for a By Plymouth emblem for the tail panel of my 1971 Cuda. Looking at pictures I have seen cars with both a black background enblem and some that are either silver or all chrome. What is correct?

Also anyone know of a repop one that is available?
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: "By Plymouth" emblem color? - 09/28/12 03:45 PM

The only originals (on 71 Cudas) that I could confirm with no doubt were black. I haven't seen a quality reproduction of them yet, just cheap cheesey junk.
Posted By: shakerjoe

Re: "By Plymouth" emblem color? - 09/28/12 05:13 PM

agreed on that Scott - do you know if the black is flat, semigloss or gloss black on the survivors you've seen - thanks
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: "By Plymouth" emblem color? - 09/28/12 06:19 PM

The emblems were made by die casting a bezel/holder, which was then chrome plated (same bezel was used from 1968 through the mid 70s for various applications, Cudas, Darts, Dusters, Road Runners, etc.). A sandwhich/laminate was made as an insert to make them correct for the various applicatins. The laminate material (the process has a name I can't racall but it's obsolete technology and doesn't exist now) consisted of a foil stamped and colored (black) 3 dimensional layer which had a clear laminate cover over it so the resulting finish was a soft gloss black, sunlight and weathering can make them appear more matte and faded over time.
Posted By: Mopar_Mudder

Re: "By Plymouth" emblem color? - 11/07/12 11:31 PM

I am still searching for one of these if anyone has a secret source for finding one.....
© 2024 Moparts Forums