Moparts

Hemi choke picture

Posted By: JohnRR

Hemi choke picture - 05/22/08 09:17 PM

anyone have a photo of a hemi choke assembly , namely the alum housing that bolts to the side of the carb ?

without the bakolite piece installed would be helpful both with and without the thin metal plate .

thanks
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Hemi choke picture - 05/22/08 10:02 PM

John, are you not recieving your e-mails? I've sent those a few times

Attached picture 4444957-Choke.jpg

Re: Hemi choke picture - 05/22/08 10:07 PM

Attached picture 4444966-HemiChokeRear.jpg

Re: Hemi choke picture - 05/22/08 10:08 PM

Attached picture 4444970-HemiChokeFront.jpg

Re: Hemi choke picture - 05/22/08 10:11 PM

Attached picture 4444976-HemiChokeSide.jpg

Re: Hemi choke picture - 05/22/08 10:13 PM

Attached picture 4444977-HemiChokeUnder.jpg
Posted By: 70challrtse

Re: Hemi choke picture - 05/22/08 10:27 PM

Scott, that looks so nice it makes me want to own a Hemi, just so I can have you restore the choke.
Posted By: hemi70se

Re: Hemi choke picture - 05/23/08 03:37 AM

John, Keep in mind there are several styles of the choke bases depending on what year Hemi carb it is. The one in Scott's picture with the arrow pointing to it is a 70 style. The one behind it is a 68-69 style (has the plug in the port). I believe the 66-67 style didn't have the secondary port at all, but its been many years since I messed with those early cars so my memory is a bit fuzzy on that.

Re: Hemi choke picture - 05/23/08 03:52 AM

Quote:

John, are you not recieving your e-mails? I've sent those a few times

no scott , it might be you are typing it in wrong , i use only 1 N in it .

roadruner69

Re: Hemi choke picture - 05/23/08 03:56 AM

Quote:

John, Keep in mind there are several styles of the choke bases depending on what year Hemi carb it is. The one in Scott's picture with the arrow pointing to it is a 70 style. The one behind it is a 68-69 style (has the plug in the port). I believe the 66-67 style didn't have the secondary port at all, but its been many years since I messed with those early cars so my memory is a bit fuzzy on that.

thanks dirk , i didn't know that .

i bought a choke and the alum housing i got has that secondary port pointing down and the bakolite doesn't fit in it . i need pics to send to the seller so hopefully he can get me the correct one .

carb i got this for is a 67 , but if i can get a 68-69 i'll be ok with that .

Re: Hemi choke picture - 05/23/08 12:52 PM

What Dirk said is accurate, however it's not without exception, I've seen th earlier style on original later carbs as well. Also keep in mind that they are easy to change out so in many cases it's hard to say which they had when new. Some other non Mopar Carters (GM, etc.) had similar choke bases & housings which will bolt on and work but have minor differences in the casting shapes, however, some won't accept the other componants. It's possible that you bought one from a non Mopar application.

Re: Hemi choke picture - 05/23/08 02:58 PM

Quote:

What Dirk said is accurate, however it's not without exception, I've seen th earlier style on original later carbs as well. Also keep in mind that they are easy to change out so in many cases it's hard to say which they had when new. Some other non Mopar Carters (GM, etc.) had similar choke bases & housings which will bolt on and work but have minor differences in the casting shapes, however, some won't accept the other componants. It's possible that you bought one from a non Mopar application.

i'm sure it's from a non mopar application and i assume the guy never tried to put the bakolite in it as it won't fit unless i force it .

i brough in a camera , i'll post a pic of what i have later .
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Hemi choke picture - 05/23/08 10:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

i'm sure it's from a non mopar application and i assume the guy never tried to put the bakolite in it as it won't fit unless i force it .

i brough in a camera , i'll post a pic of what i have later .

John,the reason you probably have to force it is that most have a tendency to over tighten the retainer screws,this pulls the mounting ear down and makes the bakelite housing hard to fit.Easy fix if you're careful.

Re: Hemi choke picture - 05/24/08 11:53 AM

thanks bill , i'll look at that .

any news on those tags ?
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Hemi choke picture - 05/24/08 12:03 PM

Quote:

thanks bill , i'll look at that .

any news on those tags ?

John,also there is a part missing on 99% of the Hemi carbs.Unless you have a 100% original,unmolested carb you will never know it was supposed to be there.This small bracket was attached to the housing and bent around the tube to keep the heat tube from slipping out of the cap.Used as far back to 1962 on the 300H.

Next,"tags" !

Attached picture 4448167-Clamp.JPG

Re: Hemi choke picture - 06/10/08 03:28 AM

Quote:

John,also there is a part missing on 99% of the Hemi carbs.Unless you have a 100% original,unmolested carb you will never know it was supposed to be there.This small bracket was attached to the housing and bent around the tube to keep the heat tube from slipping out of the cap.Used as far back to 1962 on the 300H.

Next,"tags" !

Here's of an example from a set of original 1962 413 carbs (inline 3258's). The tag on this set was extremely clean so I used it to make a pattern and reproduce them. Any of my previous customers who need one are welcome to a free one.

Attached picture 4479134-Chokestrapa.jpg

Re: Hemi choke picture - 06/10/08 03:29 AM

As it was located when recieved

Attached picture 4479138-ChokeStrap.jpg
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: Hemi choke picture - 06/11/08 01:50 PM

That's interesting on the strap Scott. Any pictures of those in place on a intake setup all together?

Re: Hemi choke picture - 06/11/08 02:06 PM

I don't have any pics of one installed, in fact I've looked at several survivor Hemi cars that didn't have them. I think they were spotty in thier application and not necessarily "missing" due to them being removed and tossed. It's one of those little mysteries that won't likely get solved anytime soon......just like the CAP units.
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: Hemi choke picture - 06/11/08 04:32 PM

Quote:

I don't have any pics of one installed, in fact I've looked at several survivor Hemi cars that didn't have them. I think they were spotty in thier application and not necessarily "missing" due to them being removed and tossed. It's one of those little mysteries that won't likely get solved anytime soon......just like the CAP units.

Ahh, thanks Scott... At least I know where the CAP goes.. lol

Re: Hemi choke picture - 07/08/09 04:24 PM

Thought I would bring this back to the top, good info.

Bill O. , the one I had was bent , I straightened it out and got the bakolite to fit , thanks.

Anyone have pics of the seperate pieces ? trying to piece togehter a choke for a carb I have, any idea what they used to plug the hole on the 68-69 ?
Posted By: AZ-Nick

Re: Hemi choke picture - 07/08/09 08:05 PM

John - thanks for bringing it back, I never saw the thread and I have been looking at different Hemi carbs lately so this is good to know, thanks
Posted By: pacifica

Re: Hemi choke picture - 07/12/09 07:15 PM

68 hemi choke pics. Which plug do you mean?

Attached picture 5348063-1968hemichoke006(Small).jpg

Re: Hemi choke picture - 07/12/09 07:20 PM

Attached picture 5348066-1968hemichoke010(Small).jpg

Re: Hemi choke picture - 07/12/09 07:23 PM

Attached picture 5348070-1968hemichoke012(Small).jpg

Re: Hemi choke picture - 07/12/09 07:28 PM

Attached picture 5348076-1968hemichoke005(Small).jpg

Re: Hemi choke picture - 07/12/09 07:49 PM

Attached picture 5348097-1968hemichoke002(Small).jpg

Re: Hemi choke picture - 07/12/09 07:51 PM

Attached picture 5348106-1968hemichoke007(Small).jpg

Re: Hemi choke picture - 07/12/09 07:52 PM

Attached picture 5348107-1968hemichoke009(Small).jpg

Re: Hemi choke picture - 07/13/09 02:37 AM

BTW, in case any of you were wondering, that yellow splotch on the choke cover is not a paint daub/inspection mark, that is the residue from a piece of yellow plastic tape (like electrical tape) that got hot and fell off after the choke warmed up the first few times.

*Pacific, I think the plug you are asking about is a lead plug sometimes found in the end of the cast metal tube (in your pic your tube is threaded).
© 2024 Moparts Forums