Moparts

Cleaning grime from leather seats?

Posted By: 67SATisfaction

Cleaning grime from leather seats? - 09/03/12 08:32 PM

Guys,
I've got old dirt/grime build-up on some tan leather seats. Looks like someone had grime on their pants getting in & out of the car.

Can you recommend any good products or methods for cleaning leather?
Thanks,
-Art
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: Cleaning grime from leather seats? - 09/03/12 08:44 PM

if it is true leather it will be aniline leather. i would go to a furniture store and get a kit for leather. the kit should have an aniline cleaner, a moisterizer and a protector in it. i clean leather furniture all the time at work so i kinda have a handle on it. cheap store bought products will have a silicone based moisturizer which will dry it out.

Re: Cleaning grime from leather seats? - 09/03/12 08:50 PM

Thanks for the advice mikemee-

It's a very soft beautiful leather. Thin too, like an expensive glove. The surface is not shiny, but a satin sheen. I'm almost afraid of it.

I believe the car was reupholstered in the late 90's.
Posted By: Daty Rogers

Re: Cleaning grime from leather seats? - 09/03/12 09:09 PM

Lexol, have both a conditional and cleaner, both work great.

-Daty

Re: Cleaning grime from leather seats? - 09/03/12 09:13 PM

that almost sounds like chamois leather. the same stuff shammy's are made of. you can use any mild cleaning agent on it but they can take forever to dry. i use a hair dryer at work. you can protect and moisturize using products for nubuck leather (again, at a furniture store).

Re: Cleaning grime from leather seats? - 09/04/12 12:42 AM

Yeah, it feels just a bit harder than chamois. It's an expensive car, so I'll try clipping a sample from under one of the seats and bring it to a furniture store or a high-end resto shop. Sounds like the aniline leather is the kind of kit I should get.
-Art
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Cleaning grime from leather seats? - 09/04/12 02:19 AM

Mr Clean Magic Eraser & a bucket of warm water to clean Plenty of terry towels to wipe things down then a quality leather conditioner.... Trust Me... Done it many times....
Posted By: cdp

Re: Cleaning grime from leather seats? - 09/04/12 02:35 AM

Quick and bright actually works pretty well. I friend of mine bought a pink AAR that had drawn mildew in the brand new interior. From headliner, to seats, etc. His wife used quick and bright, and I was amazed of the results.

Safe and easy to use

Or, you may try Zaino's Brothers products. I just bought one of their kits for an XK140 Roadster Jag we're putting together.
Posted By: AdamR

Re: Cleaning grime from leather seats? - 09/04/12 01:09 PM

Quote:

Mr Clean Magic Eraser & a bucket of warm water to clean Plenty of terry towels to wipe things down then a quality leather conditioner.... Trust Me... Done it many times....

This works very well but careful you will pull the color out of the leather if you are to aggressive.

An excellent cleaner is http://www.chemicalguys.com/Leather_Cleaner_OEM_Approved_Colorless_Odorless_p/spi_208_16.htm

best conditioner Ive used is http://www.leatherique.com/
Posted By: wylde8

Re: Cleaning grime from leather seats? - 09/04/12 09:17 PM

I'll second the Leatherique comment. That stuff was formulated for nice leather interiors, not like the stuff they make nowadays. Leatherique has several products you could put to use on that interior.

Re: Cleaning grime from leather seats? - 09/05/12 02:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

This works very well but careful you will pull the color out of the leather if you are to aggressive.

An excellent cleaner is http://www.chemicalguys.com/Leather_Cleaner_OEM_Approved_Colorless_Odorless_p/spi_208_16.htm

best conditioner Ive used is http://www.leatherique.com/

the first link (chemicalguys)sure uses all the right 'lingo' and buzz phrases. they sound like they know leather so i would give it a shot. the 2nd link annoyed me so i quit reading it.
Posted By: AdamR

Re: Cleaning grime from leather seats? - 09/05/12 02:40 AM

trust me, the leatherique is great on leather. Even if they seem a bit "snooty" LOL
© 2024 Moparts Forums