Moparts

Paint engine bay first or last?

Posted By: herkamer

Paint engine bay first or last? - 07/30/12 12:25 AM

For the body/paint guys:

Do you paint the engine bay first or last when doing a complete? I would like to keep the vehicle mobile so doing it all at one time isn't going to be an option here. Besides, that is just too much painting all at one time.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Paint engine bay first or last? - 07/30/12 01:24 AM

Hard to keep it clean if you do it first. In your case I would do all the bodywork, then when it's truly ready to paint, I'd drop the engine out the bottom, prep and paint under the hood, reinstall the engine from the bottom and paint the exterior.

Sheldon
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: Paint engine bay first or last? - 07/30/12 11:33 AM

Quote:

Hard to keep it clean if you do it first. In your case I would do all the bodywork, then when it's truly ready to paint, I'd drop the engine out the bottom, prep and paint under the hood, reinstall the engine from the bottom and paint the exterior.

Sheldon

I did mine first and the guy who did it told me it was difficult(not impossible) to smoothly transition where you stopped on the engine bay and started on rest. But it also didn't hold up too well when I put the engine back in. Not the paints fault at all.
Posted By: AdamR

Re: Paint engine bay first or last? - 07/30/12 01:32 PM

Im doing mine last because I dont want to open a can of worms pulling the motor on a car that runs fine. I taped the engine compartment off just under were the fenders bolt up to the aprons and along the seam of the cowl/firewall (A body)

Attached picture 7313478-001.JPG
Posted By: burdar

Re: Paint engine bay first or last? - 07/30/12 01:43 PM

Mine was done first. The fenders were off though. When the rest of the car was sprayed, the engine comp was masked off under the fender lip.
© 2024 Moparts Forums