Moparts

68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild?

Posted By: petty43

68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 06/30/12 05:58 PM

I'm sure someone has done this but does anyone have a good website that has documented in pictures step by step putting back together a b body?

I have my 68 rr clone back from paint and have forgotten how a lot of things came apart.

Any help would be appreciated.
Posted By: kidmopar

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 06/30/12 06:38 PM

Quote:

I'm sure someone has done this but does anyone have a good website that has documented in pictures step by step putting back together a b body?

I have my 68 rr clone back from paint and have forgotten how a lot of things came apart.

Any help would be appreciated.

Seriously , Any photos of how it 'stands' now "?"

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 06/30/12 08:11 PM

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/orange54/1968%20Plymouth%20Roadrunner%20Clone/

Sorry I'm on an iPad and have trouble selecting img codes.

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 06/30/12 08:13 PM

Posted By: moparpollack

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 06/30/12 08:25 PM

Is that JJ1 poly gold?

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 06/30/12 08:29 PM

Quote:

Is that JJ1 poly gold?

FF1 mist green poly or something like that.

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 06/30/12 08:31 PM

It is definitely green. Very cool color that looks different in various light.
Posted By: Kowal

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 06/30/12 08:52 PM

Try www.musclecarrestorations.com

They have loads of pics.

The other is the Lift Off Hood forum with tons of pics and topics.
Posted By: A12

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 06/30/12 10:03 PM

Quote:

Yep, here's my '68 FF1 road runner and it always looks different depending on the light

There's no step by step that I know of so it may be better as you get to different areas of assembly to come back and ask the questions then, lots and lots of info here........then I have a ton of photos from doing my FF1 rr over the many years it took to almost get it finished (they are NEVER finished )

Attached picture 7271516-DSC02274phsp1aa3.jpg
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 06/30/12 10:52 PM

do you have a shop manual ? that would be a start , parts manual also is very handy.

I can't say that i have seen someone do a step by step reassembly and put it online.

Did you bag and mark the parts or just do like I do and disassmble it and throw it all in a box ???

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 06/30/12 11:37 PM

Quote:

do you have a shop manual ? that would be a start , parts manual also is very handy.

I can't say that i have seen someone do a step by step reassembly and put it online.

Did you bag and mark the parts or just do like I do and disassmble it and throw it all in a box ???

I have a shop manual and what I took apart got bagged and tagged but believe it or not some of the writing has faded and I don't know if it was right to begin with.

My concern right now it the big chrome roof rail piece. I got a seal kit from the Detroit based vendor and there are what look like four pieces of rolled up flat foam. One set has sticky tape and one does not.

I make the assumption that the non sticky tape foam gets glued to the top of the roof rail piece and the other is for another car. At least the old foam is on the top.

And as I was putt tin on new window fuzziest I put the quarter window piece in the backhand it looks like the back screw goes into the roof rail chrome.

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 06/30/12 11:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yep, here's my '68 FF1 road runner and it always looks different depending on the light

There's no step by step that I know of so it may be better as you get to different areas of assembly to come back and ask the questions then, lots and lots of info here........then I have a ton of photos from doing my FF1 rr over the many years it took to almost get it finished (they are NEVER finished )

A12 your ride was one of the reasons I went back ff1. Nice.
Posted By: SixPackRT

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 07/02/12 06:13 PM

This might be helpful....

http://www.restorick.com/tech/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58

Scott

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 07/02/12 06:47 PM

Quote:

This might be helpful....

Scott

Thanks Scott,

That is very helpful. I have that printed out. I'm looking for more visual help. I do know of a couple of cars close that I can go look at. There were a couple at the local cruise in Saturday night.

Tim
Posted By: SixPackRT

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 07/02/12 09:53 PM

Tim, If your looking for specific areas, I have tons of pictures of assembly on my 70. Some things wont be the same but most will. Im sure if your looking for specific assemblies people will be more than glad to post, email, or link through a site like photobucket, pictures that would help. I will pm you.

Scott

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 07/02/12 10:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

A12 your ride was one of the reasons I went back ff1. Nice.

THANKS!

Now how about a simple 10-points of order of assembly from everyone that has assembled a car after paint. You know like:

1. Install engine and transmission.
2. Finish engine compartment.
3. Install wiring then install dash.
4. Install vinyl roof....oops make this #1. or number 12.
5. Install carpet.
6. Install instruments.
7. Oops remove carpet so you can find seat and console mounts and oops wait because you forgot to install the head liner and locate the shoulder belt mounts..

You know what I mean There were lots of things that I had to undo more than redo because I got ahead of myself from inexperience so post your own list of just the basic steps. I'm sure if I did my list there would be lots of tips as to what I should have done before I did them......like sealing in the windshield BEFORE I put the dash in....which as most of you know "you can't put the dash in AFTER putting in the windshield

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 07/02/12 11:00 PM

I'm stuck on the chrome roof rails.

I think the headliner needs to go in before it but I'm waiting on the headliner. I ordered it two weeks ago and still not here!

Can't put glass in til I get it in.

Waiting on getting the dash pad from the upholstery shop cause the one I bought from Mega Parts that is after market has come apart after sitting in the garage in the original box and it doesn't look like or fit like the original. (Not knocking Mega Parts per say it's been 3 years since I bought it.)

I bought the dash pad when they first came out as repops and it may be a bad one.

I plan on calling them and sending this one back to them to see if the mfr. can back the product. ???

In the mean time I am getting the original fixed and then I can put the dash in.
Posted By: Daty Rogers

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 07/02/12 11:38 PM

On mine, rear first, engine/tranny from underneath, wiring, trunk, then intentror(sp). Lots of redos, just comes with the territory.

-Daty
Posted By: 68jim

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 07/03/12 01:02 AM

petty43,

I finished my 68 road runner a few years ago so some stuff I can remember. I took plenty of pictures - most have been posted on Moparts at one time or another. Post your questions or send a PM. I'll help as much as I can.

Good Luck!

Jim

Attached picture 7274682-P7311721.JPG
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 07/03/12 01:55 AM

Quote:

I bought the dash pad when they first came out as repops and it may be a bad one.

I plan on calling them and sending this one back to them to see if the mfr. can back the product. ???

The first repop dashpads are PURE GARBAGE, the pads that B/E+A sell are like the originals done on an original type core .

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 07/03/12 02:40 PM

Quote:

petty43,

I finished my 68 road runner a few years ago so some stuff I can remember. I took plenty of pictures - most have been posted on Moparts at one time or another. Post your questions or send a PM. I'll help as much as I can.

Good Luck!

Jim

Jim,

Thank you. You did a great job on your car. Nice and clean.

I like the hood black out too and have tossed around adding it on mine to break up the green a little.

Tim
Posted By: Chi_Town_Runner

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 07/03/12 03:01 PM

Quote:

I like the hood black out too

I had some conversations with Jim about his hood black-out. With his advise I did mine and have never looked back.

My advise, do it like Jim's. You'll be happy you did.

Frank
Posted By: RestoRick

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 07/03/12 03:04 PM

Quote:

Now how about a simple 10-points of order of assembly from everyone that has assembled a car after paint. You know like:

5. Install carpet.
6. Install instruments.
7. Oops remove carpet so you can find seat and console mounts and oops wait because you forgot to install the head liner and locate the shoulder belt mounts..

You know what I mean There were lots of things that I had to undo more than redo because I got ahead of myself from inexperience so post your own list of just the basic steps. I'm sure if I did my list there would be lots of tips as to what I should have done before I did them......like sealing in the windshield BEFORE I put the dash in....which as most of you know "you can't put the dash in AFTER putting in the windshield

You missed it just above your post...

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 07/03/12 03:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

5. Install carpet.
6. Install instruments.

You missed it just above your post...

I SURE DID!! THAT'S A GREAT LIST Rick

MikeR
Posted By: RestoRick

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 07/03/12 09:45 PM

Posted By: 70runner

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 07/04/12 08:17 PM

I created a photobook documenting the restoration of my 70RR. It is still online. Go here and enter 118305 in the search box. Click on the thumbnail and the photobook should come up with a "Flip Preview" option. Just click on each page and it will flip through the book.

And, I used Rick's list as a general guide.
Posted By: 52savoy

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 07/07/12 07:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Is that JJ1 poly gold?

FF1 mist green poly or something like that.

Isn't FF1.. Light Forrest Green Metallic?

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 07/07/12 02:58 PM

I show
FF1 = Mist Green Metalic and GG1 = Forest Green Metalic.

Frank

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 07/07/12 05:01 PM

Quote:

I show

Frank

and sometimes Mist Green Poly but I always knew it as Mist Green Metalic

Attached picture 7281226-1968-plymouth-pg012.jpg

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 07/07/12 05:25 PM

Quote:

I show

Frank

The two colors side by side and there is no mistaking which is which

My '68 FF1 road runner next to a friend's '68 GG1 Forest Green Charger

Attached picture 7281262-DSC01912rs.jpg

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 07/07/12 05:32 PM

I've seen where JJ1 gets confused with a mid-green color depending on the light it was photographed in,(as stated above and forgot) might be what you were thinking of, just throwing that out there because I do that all of the time
Posted By: NAS Backyard

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 07/07/12 05:36 PM

I have lots of pictures also. Drip rail moulding doesn't get in the way of anything. I did my head liner, you need to go out a buy about 12 little spring clamps for that job. Is your car factory air with that big round hole in the firewall?

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 07/07/12 10:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I show

Frank

The two colors side by side and there is no mistaking which is which

My '68 FF1 road runner next to a friend's '68 GG1 Forest Green Charger

Memory can be a strange thing.. and it's been about 25 years since I painted my roadrunner. But it seems there were 2 different dated charts for '68 and one listed FF1 as "Lt Forrest Green Met." and it was the lightest of the grns.. The chart I'm referring to showed 3 shades of green for 1968.
I've seen the 3 diff. distinct colors on Plymouths too.

Other sources call it that. Why?

http://www.wwnboa.org/68bgar.htm

Where is my back up when I need it...

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 07/07/12 10:10 PM

Quote:

one listed FF1 as "Lt Forrest Green Met." .... showed 3 shades of green for 1968

You may have seen the paint chart for Chrysler/Imperial in '68. Same colors and numbers but different names.

In '68 FF1 on Chrysler/Imperial was Frost Green Metalic
and
GG1 was Forest Green Metalic

There was a 3rd green, TT1
Plymouth = Avacado Green Metalic (Poly)
Dodge = Medium Green Metalic (Poly)
Chrysler/Imperial = Meadow Green Metalic (Poly)

Just my

Anything is possible with Mopar.

Frank

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 07/07/12 10:21 PM

thanks Frank.

Re: 68 RR Documented Complete Rebuild? - 07/09/12 04:46 AM

Quote:

I have lots of pictures also. Drip rail moulding doesn't get in the way of anything. I did my head liner, you need to go out a buy about 12 little spring clamps for that job. Is your car factory air with that big round hole in the firewall?

Yes it's factory a ac car. It is really a satellite 318 car but don't tell anyone.
© 2024 Moparts Forums