Moparts

Cars with HD 11" drums on front.. .same on rear?

Posted By: MONC

Cars with HD 11" drums on front.. .same on rear? - 03/21/12 04:28 PM

For mopars equipped with 11x3 HD brakes up front, are they the same in the rear? If not , what size?
TIA
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Cars with HD 11" drums on front.. .same on rear? - 03/21/12 04:34 PM

11x2.5 in the rear
Posted By: CornDogsCharger

Re: Cars with HD 11" drums on front.. .same on rear? - 03/21/12 04:37 PM

Fronts are 11x3 and rears are 11x2.5

Justin
"CornDog"
Posted By: MO_PA

Re: Cars with HD 11" drums on front.. .same on rear? - 03/21/12 05:08 PM

There are a lot of 60's Chryslers with 11 inch rears, New Yorkers especially!
Posted By: MONC

Re: Cars with HD 11" drums on front.. .same on rear? - 03/21/12 07:13 PM

Thanks was thinking A,B,E body from 68-71 .
Are the wheel cylinders the same for all 4 ?

Re: Cars with HD 11" drums on front.. .same on rear? - 03/21/12 08:16 PM

Quote:

Well your first problem is thinking A bodies had 11" brakes, they didn't.

Can't answer the wheel cylinder question till i have my parts manual in hand.
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: Cars with HD 11" drums on front.. .same on rear? - 03/21/12 08:20 PM

Joe- The front wheel cylinders are larger in bore size. I just rebuilt the brake systems for both the '69 Bee and the '69 Swinger and the master cylinder, front and rear wheel cylinders were the same casting #'s. The front cylinders are 1 1/8" bore, while the rears are 1".
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Cars with HD 11" drums on front.. .same on rear? - 03/21/12 08:21 PM

Front to rear wheel cylinder castings are not the same, '68 front are not the same as '69 front.
Things changed so often, if you want accurate answers - you have to ask the specific questions.

Re: Cars with HD 11" drums on front.. .same on rear? - 03/21/12 08:25 PM

Correct Dan, and the '68 11 X 2.5" rear drums are smooth, as opposed to the the finned '69-up. Then there is the backing plate changes for the different shaped wheel cylinder punchouts, etc...

Re: Cars with HD 11" drums on front.. .same on rear? - 03/22/12 04:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Well your first problem is thinking A bodies had 11" brakes, they didn't.

Can't answer the wheel cylinder question till i have my parts manual in hand.

Wheel cylinders are side specific and the same on B/E 10"/11" ... can't be used on the rear... and the same side to side 10"/11" on the rear.

Re: Cars with HD 11" drums on front.. .same on rear? - 03/22/12 04:31 AM

Quote:

Joe- The front wheel cylinders are larger in bore size. I just rebuilt the brake systems for both the '69 Bee and the '69 Swinger and the master cylinder, front and rear wheel cylinders were the same casting #'s. The front cylinders are 1 1/8" bore, while the rears are 1".

Casting numbers may be the same but the machining is different , front and rear are different, brake line goes into the rear straight and at an angle on the front and why they are side specific.

Re: Cars with HD 11" drums on front.. .same on rear? - 03/22/12 04:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Casting numbers may be the same but the machining is different , front and rear are different, brake line goes into the rear straight and at an angle on the front and why they are side specific.

Correct, I was mentioning to the OP that the casting #'s for the master cylinder, and all four wheel cylinders were the same from the '69 Bee to the '69 Swinger. The fronts are indeed side specific.

Re: Cars with HD 11" drums on front.. .same on rear? - 03/22/12 04:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Correct, I was mentioning to the OP that the casting #'s for the master cylinder, and all four wheel cylinders were the same from the '69 Bee to the '69 Swinger. The fronts are indeed side specific.

I missed the master cylinder part but you are correct , the wheel cylinders are the same A body and B body in 1969, confirmed in my parts manual and that is nuts. I'm changing my rears on the dart to 7/8" I got from Ebogger .
Posted By: 68Cbarge

Re: Cars with HD 11" drums on front.. .same on rear? - 03/22/12 12:15 PM

My 68 New Yorker had the towing package that included 11X3 drums on all four corners.They were not self adjusting.
The shoes were the same front and back.
The drums and wheel cylinders were different front and back.
Hope this helps.
© 2024 Moparts Forums