Moparts

AMD cuda bumpers: any good? Elastomeric best?

Posted By: domingo

AMD cuda bumpers: any good? Elastomeric best? - 12/07/11 08:54 PM

Hi!

I need to buy some bumpers for my 71 cuda.

Has anybody tried the AMD bumpers?

Also, I might want to go with an elastomeric front bunper for my 71. I wonder how good are the repros and who makes em besides Gene Gregory?
Posted By: THESHAKERPROJECT

Re: AMD cuda bumpers: any good? Elastomeric best? - 12/07/11 09:05 PM

The Keystone bumpers are the best repos out there.. If you go with the AMD ones, you will not be happy with the chrome. Gene is the only source for repo elastometeric bumpers .

Re: AMD cuda bumpers: any good? Elastomeric best? - 12/07/11 09:09 PM

Keystone?

Are those brand new stampings?

And the AMD ones, other than the chrome,...are the stampings good quality? Are they the correct shape and gauge?

OK on the elastomeric bumpers....I wonder hows the quality on those compared to original....
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: AMD cuda bumpers: any good? Elastomeric best? - 12/07/11 09:09 PM

Quote:

Gene is the only source for repo elastometeric bumpers

Correct, and if you want some it would probably be a good idea to get some sooner than later, he's not getting any younger. Do yourself a favor and buy 1970 versions, they all start that way and Gene cuts the 70's to make them 71 versions. You'll probably do a better job if you do it yourself. As far as fit and accuracey they are pretty darn correct although I noticed the rears might need a SMALL amount of trimming/width adjustment

Re: AMD cuda bumpers: any good? Elastomeric best? - 12/07/11 11:39 PM

Can the Keystones be bought direct, or is Year One the only source?
Posted By: YYZ

Re: AMD cuda bumpers: any good? Elastomeric best? - 12/08/11 12:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Gene is the only source for repo elastometeric bumpers

Correct, and if you want some it would probably be a good idea to get some sooner than later, he's not getting any younger. Do yourself a favor and buy 1970 versions, they all start that way and Gene cuts the 70's to make them 71 versions. You'll probably do a better job if you do it yourself. As far as fit and accuracey they are pretty darn correct although I noticed the rears might need a SMALL amount of trimming/width adjustment

Scott, do you not mean the other way around: ie order '71 bumpers and trim them down to a '70 as the valance opening is much narrower on the '71

btw - does anyone know what happened to Kandy Koat (I think) out of Colorado that was reproducing elastomeric bumpers in the late 1980s?
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: AMD cuda bumpers: any good? Elastomeric best? - 12/08/11 01:15 AM

Yes you are correct, mind fart, I had it backwards. I have not seen anything from the CO source for many years.
Posted By: burdar

Re: AMD cuda bumpers: any good? Elastomeric best? - 12/08/11 03:52 PM

Quote:

Can the Keystones be bought direct, or is Year One the only source?

Dave at Rosevillemoparts.com sells the Keystone bumpers. He gave me a quote on them the other day.

Re: AMD cuda bumpers: any good? Elastomeric best? - 12/08/11 04:35 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys!
Posted By: 2fast4yourBrain

Re: AMD cuda bumpers: any good? Elastomeric best? - 12/08/11 05:32 PM

Anyone hear if Gene can pass off his expertise to anyone else to make bumpers in the future?

Thankfully I got one from him, but starting to wonder if I should buy another for a spare.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: AMD cuda bumpers: any good? Elastomeric best? - 12/08/11 06:31 PM

Quote:

Anyone hear if Gene can pass off his expertise to anyone else to make bumpers in the future?

Thankfully I got one from him, but starting to wonder if I should buy another for a spare.

I know his daughter helps him with some of the work, perhaps she will continue, should Gene decide it's time to quit, or scale back
© 2024 Moparts Forums