Moparts

67 Coronet sway bar bushings???

Posted By: Russ_Davis

67 Coronet sway bar bushings??? - 12/04/11 03:43 PM

How is the best way to change the front bushings??? Why do they make it so hard
Posted By: hemi_harvester

Re: 67 Coronet sway bar bushings??? - 12/04/11 03:59 PM

Sway bar bushings or...strut rod bushings ?

Re: 67 Coronet sway bar bushings??? - 12/04/11 09:09 PM

Sway bar bushings..
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: 67 Coronet sway bar bushings??? - 12/04/11 10:05 PM

I am going through this with a 68 Chrysler. Not sure if they are similar but I was told some unbolted others were spot welded just drill out the spot weld and replace with a grade 8 bolt of the appropriate size.
Posted By: T2R9

Re: 67 Coronet sway bar bushings??? - 12/04/11 10:22 PM

Clean the bar and brackets real good after getting the old rubber bushing out. Slide the bracket on the bar without the bushing in the correct orientation. Lube up the bushing real good and work it onto the bar. Lube up the outside of the bushing and use a pair of channel locks with a little duct tape on them to get them into the bracket. Start at one corner and work your way up. Sometimes 2 pair of channel locks are needed. It will pop in.
Posted By: hemi71x

Re: 67 Coronet sway bar bushings??? - 12/04/11 11:03 PM

What lots of people do, and i am one of them, is to cut away the weld portion on one end of the strap of the mount bracket.
Bend back the strap a little bit, and install the new bushing.
Weld the strap back down onto the bracket.
Of course if you go that repair method, your going to need a welder, and or die grinder, or Dremel to cut back on the weld seam.
But it's a good way to get the job done.
I never had any luck lubing up the bushing, and trying to squash the bushing in with channel locks.
Too frustrating for me, and never worked.

Re: 67 Coronet sway bar bushings??? - 12/04/11 11:15 PM

So does that mean there is no spot weld. Seemed an easy way out for me. Drill the weld replace with a bolt.
Posted By: hemi71x

Re: 67 Coronet sway bar bushings??? - 12/05/11 12:30 AM

Quote:

So does that mean there is no spot weld. Seemed an easy way out for me. Drill the weld replace with a bolt.

I don't know about your 68 Chrysler.
The OP is inquiring about his 67 Coronet.
Those sway bar bushings, and mounts, would be used on the 66-69 B Body cars, and also the 67-72 A Body sway bar bushings, and mounts, would be close to being the same.

Re: 67 Coronet sway bar bushings??? - 12/05/11 02:29 AM

Well I went with the cut and weld. I guess thats as easy as it can be. No problems. Thanks....
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 67 Coronet sway bar bushings??? - 12/05/11 04:08 PM

Quote:

Well I went with the cut and weld. I guess thats as easy as it can be. No problems. Thanks....

Russ did you use a rubber bushing or a poly ? I have to do the same thing .

Re: 67 Coronet sway bar bushings??? - 12/05/11 10:31 PM

Went with all poly bushings.

Re: 67 Coronet sway bar bushings??? - 12/06/11 12:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I understood he asked about the 67 B body was just trying to help. I was also told to do what you said. Just seemed easier to drill out. Turns out though the spot weld was way to big. I just drilled and cut out the old rubber and it slid off the side.
Not saying your wrong just this is what I encountered, and hope it helps some one.
Neres what I have is it similar to the b-body or way off?

Attached picture 6952490-swaybarlink002.jpg

Re: 67 Coronet sway bar bushings??? - 12/06/11 12:19 AM

the spot weld
Also looks like there wouldn't be much left once the weld were ground away(?)

Russ glad you got it figured out.

Attached picture 6952496-swaybarlink001.jpg
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 67 Coronet sway bar bushings??? - 12/06/11 12:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I understood he asked about the 67 B body was just trying to help. I was also told to do what you said. Just seemed easier to drill out. Turns out though the spot weld was way to big. I just drilled and cut out the old rubber and it slid off the side.
Not saying your wrong just this is what I encountered, and hope it helps some one.
Neres what I have is it similar to the b-body or way off?

That C body mount isn't anything like the B body mount.

The B body mount is a V shaped mount with a tab on each side (sort of like this -v- ) and a strap welded across the top after the triangle shaped mount is dropped in.

Re: 67 Coronet sway bar bushings??? - 12/06/11 12:23 AM

Thats nothing like a 67.

Re: 67 Coronet sway bar bushings??? - 12/06/11 12:25 AM

Just trying to help. The procedure sure seems the same.
© 2024 Moparts Forums