Moparts

better gears for more purpose use but power to.

Posted By: 67coronetman

better gears for more purpose use but power to. - 12/04/11 03:28 AM

Ok i have a 1966 plymouth Satellite with a 600 hp motor i changed over to a A-833 trans with a 8 3/4 rear with a 489 chunk & 391 gears yes its a posi when i am crusing in forth and hit third hard it hits the rev limiter fast i want more rpm would 3:55 be better or 3:23 any ideas.!
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: better gears for more purpose use but power to. - 12/04/11 03:49 AM

Think of the gear changes as a percentage so if you
drop X percentage you drop the engine rpm X percentage
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: better gears for more purpose use but power to. - 12/04/11 03:53 AM

Quote:

Ok i have a 1966 plymouth Satellite with a 600 hp motor i changed over to a A-833 trans with a 8 3/4 rear with a 489 chunk & 391 gears yes its a posi when i am crusing in forth and hit third hard it hits the rev limiter fast i want more rpm would 3:55 be better or 3:23 any ideas.!

Two things, what do you set the rev limiter at? 2nd, is it spinning the tires when you hit it in third gear? Mine does,(727 with a loose converter) if I'm not careful on the loud peddle application 4.10 gears, 13.5x30x15 M/T ET Streets I have my rev limiter set at 8000 RPM, I shift it at or close to 7300 RPM, it runs a 134 MPH in the 1/4 mile crossing the finish line at or close to 7000 RPM
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: better gears for more purpose use but power to. - 12/04/11 03:54 AM

MY vote would be a 3.23..

Re: better gears for more purpose use but power to. - 12/04/11 04:37 PM

Yes it did spin very good even into forth gear! & my rev limiter is at 6000 rpm.

Re: better gears for more purpose use but power to. - 12/04/11 04:38 PM

I was seriously thinking of 3:55 or 3:23 gears.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: better gears for more purpose use but power to. - 12/04/11 04:54 PM

You say that you want more rpm, I presume that you mean more usable rpm between your cruise speed and the rev limiter.

Gear choice when balancing crusing against best performance/fun factor, is usally a compromise and boils down to an individuals preference. Do the math as Mr.P suggests, or use an on line calculator to see how the rpm will change with different axle ratios. Also, if the concern is simply bumping into the rev limiter, maybe move it up a few hundred rpm. I would think that you would be shifting around 6000 anyways, and a 600 hp motor should have the internals to safely rev past that.

Re: better gears for more purpose use but power to. - 12/04/11 05:52 PM

Yes a more usable RPM. with my gear as of now 3:91 & my 4-speed it hits the Rev Limiter very fast and it breaks the tires loose so i am spinning & shifting and it keeps spinning & hitting the Rev Limiter i am getting ready to put a taller rear tire from a 27/10.5/15 ET streets to a 275/60/15 drag radials out back which i read is 1" taller i think.

Quote:

You say that you want more rpm, I presume that you mean more usable rpm between your cruise speed and the rev limiter.

Gear choice when balancing crusing against best performance/fun factor, is usally a compromise and boils down to an individuals preference. Do the math as Mr.P suggests, or use an on line calculator to see how the rpm will change with different axle ratios. Also, if the concern is simply bumping into the rev limiter, maybe move it up a few hundred rpm. I would think that you would be shifting around 6000 anyways, and a 600 hp motor should have the internals to safely rev past that.

Posted By: JohnRR

Re: better gears for more purpose use but power to. - 12/04/11 06:02 PM

Your bigger problem is a lack of TRACTION, you could switch to a 2.76 gear change the rev limiter to 8k rpm and if it's spinning you are still going to be on the rev limiter pretty quickly.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: better gears for more purpose use but power to. - 12/05/11 12:22 AM

Quote:

Your bigger problem is a lack of TRACTION, you could switch to a 2.76 gear change the rev limiter to 8k rpm and if it's spinning you are still going to be on the rev limiter pretty quickly.

That's what I was thinking too. It's not the gear's fault that you're spinning and hitting the rev limiter. Either up the traction or ease up on the pedal. With a 600hp engine, 2.76 rear gears and crappy street tires you'll still be blowing them away and bouncing off the rev limiter.

Re: better gears for more purpose use but power to. - 12/05/11 02:36 AM

Yes it is busting the tires loose so i am going to do something cause i am just wasting my time as it is,

Quote:

Quote:

That's what I was thinking too. It's not the gear's fault that you're spinning and hitting the rev limiter. Either up the traction or ease up on the pedal. With a 600hp engine, 2.76 rear gears and crappy street tires you'll still be blowing them away and bouncing off the rev limiter.

Posted By: UCUDANT

Re: better gears for more purpose use but power to. - 12/05/11 02:49 AM

Here's a link to an RPM calculator Randy's ring and pinion RPM calc
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: better gears for more purpose use but power to. - 12/05/11 10:52 AM

Quote:

Yes it is busting the tires loose so i am going to do something cause i am just wasting my time as it is,

Quote:

Quote:

On the track or on the street? Any car with that kind of power is going to blow away tires on the street no matter what.

Re: better gears for more purpose use but power to. - 12/05/11 04:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

On the track or on the street? Any car with that kind of power is going to blow away tires on the street no matter what.

you need a wide/sticky tire to gain traction.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: better gears for more purpose use but power to. - 12/05/11 07:27 PM

"Ok i have a 1966 plymouth Satellite with a 600 hp motor i changed over to a A-833 trans with a 8 3/4 rear with a 489 chunk & 391 gears yes its a posi when i am crusing in forth and hit third hard it hits the rev limiter fast i want more rpm would 3:55 be better or 3:23 any ideas.!"

Try the 3.55 gears. They are a good compromise for some freeway use and should get you up into the 140+ to 160+ mph range, depending on how tall your tires are.

Are you having traction problems too?

Tell us about your 600hp engine combination.
Posted By: forphorty

Re: better gears for more purpose use but power to. - 12/06/11 01:58 AM

B body ,600hp, standard transmission, 8.75 rear, traction... ..BANG Before you get some sticky tires, you might consider trading that 8.75 for a __________________.

Re: better gears for more purpose use but power to. - 12/06/11 04:53 AM

Yea i know a Dana 60 way ahead all ready have one but i may get alot of slack on this but that 8 3/4 is more than strong enough.! i have a friend here that had a 900 hp stroker 440 with indy heads and ran a 8 3/4 for years never broke it once.

Quote:

B body ,600hp, standard transmission, 8.75 rear, traction... ..BANG Before you get some sticky tires, you might consider trading that 8.75 for a __________________.

Re: better gears for more purpose use but power to. - 12/06/11 03:16 PM

Quote:

Yea i know a Dana 60 way ahead all ready have one but i may get alot of slack on this but that 8 3/4 is more than strong enough.! i have a friend here that had a 900 hp stroker 440 with indy heads and ran a 8 3/4 for years never broke it once.

Quote:

More info, what body, what did it weigh, pro gears, what did it 60 ft ???

Re: better gears for more purpose use but power to. - 12/06/11 04:18 PM

Bang.

Quote:

Quote:

Posted By: dogdays

Re: better gears for more purpose use but power to. - 12/06/11 04:57 PM

You could put a 1000 lb-ft torque engine in front of an 8 3/4 and as long as the tires broke free first the rear end would live. It's the amount of torque RESISTANCE that breaks the rear or the driveshaft or the transmission or the u-joints. Also spelled traction or hook.

R.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: better gears for more purpose use but power to. - 12/06/11 05:06 PM

Quote:

You could put a 1000 lb-ft torque engine in front of an 8 3/4 and as long as the tires broke free first the rear end would live. It's the amount of torque RESISTANCE that breaks the rear or the driveshaft or the transmission or the u-joints. Also spelled traction or hook.

R.

I've been VERY happy with my 8 3/4 with a 1.19 60'....
if you put certain items in/on a 8 3/4 they can/will
live a long life.... but I do have a light car
Posted By: BDS871Cuda

Re: better gears for more purpose use but power to. - 12/06/11 07:39 PM

I would put in a 3.23 or 3.08 depending on how much freeway speed you want. Then drive it with
your head, not with your foot!!
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: better gears for more purpose use but power to. - 12/06/11 09:01 PM

Quote:

R.

Yep well said; it's about traction, not power.

Dave

Re: better gears for more purpose use but power to. - 12/06/11 09:02 PM

Quote:

I would put in a 3.23 or 3.08 depending on how much freeway speed you want. Then drive it with
your head, not with your foot!!

except there is no 3.08 for the 8.75
Posted By: 383man

Re: better gears for more purpose use but power to. - 12/06/11 09:21 PM

Are you spinning the tires or the clutch ? I mean I have 4.30's with 30" tall radial slicks and I can be going 60 mph at 3300 rpm and hit it hard and it will easily run up to 120 mph before I crank over 6500 rpm. But I drive on slicks so the tires usually stay hoooked when I step on it at 60 mph. And by the calculations my eng makes about 600 flywheel hp. Just seems like with 3.91's that wont happen so easy unless something slips. Ron
© 2024 Moparts Forums