Moparts

Charging System

Posted By: CornDogsCharger

Charging System - 11/30/11 04:30 AM

I have an '88 Dodge Ramchargerwith a fuel injected 318. I don't drive it very often so I was checking it over this evening. When I checked the charging volts while running, I see that it is right at 15v at the battery. Isn't this a little high or would that be alright? If something is wrong, where do I need to start to fix the problem?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Charging System - 11/30/11 08:14 AM

slow charge the battery overnight on your batery charger then run it at a fast idle w air/lights ect on & post what voltage you get at the batt and at the alt "batt" stud & at the v reg blue sense wire at the reg triangle connector
Posted By: White440

Re: Charging System - 11/30/11 10:11 AM

Quote:

slow charge the battery overnight on your batery charger then run it at a fast idle w air/lights ect on & post what voltage you get at the batt and at the alt "batt" stud & at the v reg blue sense wire at the reg triangle connector

And if you have a the means, check the amps the alt is putting out.
Posted By: CornDogsCharger

Re: Charging System - 11/30/11 01:51 PM

I put the battery maintainer on the battery all day yesterday and over night. The charger showed full charge by the tins I got home from work yesterday. It's 30 degrees outside, so I could look for too long but I couldn't even fine the voltage regulator to check it. I don't know where they have it hid. Anyways, with the truck running, heat, and headlights on it was my meter said right at 15v. The ALT was putting out 15V at the battery stud. I wasn't able to check amps though. Thanks for your help!!
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Charging System - 11/30/11 02:12 PM

what is it when off?
just checking if the meter is good too.

about .2 volts to high for my tastes, and I would check for bad grounds or wiring somewhere.

in 88, should be a silver box with triangle plug.
Posted By: hooziewhatsit

Re: Charging System - 11/30/11 05:59 PM

When it's running, what's the voltage on the blue wire (small one) at the alt? I'd bet it's ~.5v lower than the battery. (if the voltage is constantly jumping around, that's the green wire; check the other one).
© 2024 Moparts Forums