Moparts

BB Valve Cover Gaskets 1What do you use ?

Posted By: hemi_harvester

BB Valve Cover Gaskets 1What do you use ? - 11/25/11 10:34 PM

Guys over the years I have tried all kinds of gasket materials, fastners and sealents to keep my vavle covers tight and to not leak I have not had much luck..SO what gaskets etc do you use,...Its time to replace them again on my engine.
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: BB Valve Cover Gaskets 1What do you use ? - 11/25/11 11:33 PM

any quality brand gasket works, i've many different brands over the years. with good prep, and good sealant (i use orange silicone) and being careful to resist the urge to over tighten any good gasket will work even old fashion cork ones!
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: BB Valve Cover Gaskets 1What do you use ? - 11/25/11 11:40 PM

I've had the best success with the Fel-Pro black rubber ones. I torque them down to about 50-60 inch pounds repeatedly over the course of the first 10 or so engine runs--eventually they firm up nicely and seal real well.
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: BB Valve Cover Gaskets 1What do you use ? - 11/25/11 11:45 PM

Quote:

I've had the best success with the Fel-Pro black rubber ones. I torque them down to about 50-60 inch pounds repeatedly over the course of the first 10 or so engine runs--eventually they firm up nicely and seal real well.

yep, i think that's what i have one there now..............
Posted By: topside

Re: BB Valve Cover Gaskets 1What do you use ? - 11/26/11 12:51 AM

I've had good luck with the FelPro cork gaskets; I glue them to the covers and then smear a little grease at the head side. Double-check the fasteners after a week. Make sure your covers are straight, of course. On a car with the HP exhaust manifolds, I've found that they get baked pretty hard after a couple of years, so I keep an eye on them but they still seal. No problems so far with Maxie exhaust or cars with headers.
Posted By: ahy

Re: BB Valve Cover Gaskets 1What do you use ? - 11/26/11 02:26 AM

Felpro rubber/cork has worked best for me.
Posted By: Deepockets

Re: BB Valve Cover Gaskets 1What do you use ? - 11/26/11 02:32 AM

mr gasket rubber cork work fine and are affordable. i currently use the moroso blue thats metal reinforced. i relly think there going to last for ever. had the covers on and off several times and they still look as new as the day i put them on.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: BB Valve Cover Gaskets 1What do you use ? - 11/26/11 03:07 AM

none

I dont have BB anymore..
Posted By: mike s

Re: BB Valve Cover Gaskets 1What do you use ? - 11/26/11 03:40 AM

Moroso blue or Fitzgerald w/metal core(still in biz?). Much better than all the others and worth the cost.
Posted By: therocks

Re: BB Valve Cover Gaskets 1What do you use ? - 11/26/11 01:16 PM

We run the Mr Gasket Ultras.Mine have been off to check the valves and still seal.Even with the MP aluminum covers they seal.Run them on all the cars.Rocky
Posted By: idrivevintage

Re: BB Valve Cover Gaskets 1What do you use ? - 11/26/11 02:30 PM

Quote:

I've had good luck with the FelPro cork gaskets; On a car with the HP exhaust manifolds, I've found that they get baked pretty hard after a couple of years

That was always my problem...they'd get cooked and crack.

I've been running with old police package exhaust manifold gaskets on my daily driver for the past 4 years or so and that solved my problems (they have extra material that extends upward and acts as a heat sheild)

Maybe give them a try...my valve cover gaskets are just the Felpro cork ones too.
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: BB Valve Cover Gaskets 1What do you use ? - 11/26/11 05:38 PM

Moroso blue or Fitzgerald w/metal core

These are the only ones that will stand up the heat and not leak for years.....
Posted By: MRHWS

Re: BB Valve Cover Gaskets 1What do you use ? - 11/27/11 03:47 PM

Do the Moroso gaskets work on stock heads and covers? I tried the Felpro 1612s(rubber over fiber) and leak at #7 somewhere. Looks like the leak is between head and gasket, dry between cover and gasket.
Posted By: CHRGR69

Re: BB Valve Cover Gaskets 1What do you use ? - 11/27/11 03:59 PM

Mopar red rubber. RTV it to the valve covers over night. Makes install so much neater and easier.
Posted By: BB73Challenger

Re: BB Valve Cover Gaskets 1What do you use ? - 11/27/11 04:03 PM

I think like was said earlier a good straight cover is more important than the gasket.

On my aluminum head/aluminum cover I'm just using cork that I had applied a light coat of grease to both sides for placement and have been dry as a bone so far.
I have even had the covers on and off a few times all ready due to the solid cam I run to watch/set lash

My brothers small block has some cheapy chrome jobs and we can't get them to stop leaking after MANY gaskets and goo's.
© 2024 Moparts Forums