Moparts

car won't warm up,no heater?

Posted By: HoosierGTX

car won't warm up,no heater? - 11/24/11 10:25 PM

I have a 88 Fifth Ave. that won't warm up,you can run it for hours and the temperature gauge never gets past the 1/4 mark,so I get no heat in the car.I just replaced the thermostat and coolant and it didn't help at all.Any suggestions will be appreciated,thanks guys.
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: car won't warm up,no heater? - 11/24/11 10:32 PM

you can't really go by the guage, it's just a indicator more or less. i'm gonna say you still have a thermostat issue. it's either stuck open or installed crooked (don't ask how i know about that).
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: car won't warm up,no heater? - 11/24/11 10:40 PM

Get a new hotter stat and a candy thermometer at your grocery store & see what coolant temp you do have. Get the eng coolant temp squared away then back flush the heater core and a garden hose/spray nozzle will work just dont use full psi. Make sure the heater hoses are on the correct nipples and the heater controls are positioning the doors where they should be & same w the vacuum servos if used
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: car won't warm up,no heater? - 11/24/11 11:35 PM

dummy gauge maybe...Do you have the correct radiator cap on it? Perhaps you aren't building enough pressure to start cookin' the coolant. If your thermostat was stuck closed you would boil over the block because it won't cool down. If it was stuck open you would at least get a lower than normal hot temperature. Can you grab the radiator hose with your hand when its been running for 10 minutes?
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: car won't warm up,no heater? - 11/24/11 11:44 PM

1/4 scale should be enough to get heat, your heater core is probably plugged.... Disconnect the hoses & flush the heater core,,, A garden hose works well for this.... If you still get no heat try partially blocking the radiator with cardboard behind the grill..
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: car won't warm up,no heater? - 11/25/11 02:31 AM

Quote:

1/4 scale should be enough to get heat, your heater core is probably plugged.... Disconnect the hoses & flush the heater core,,, A garden hose works well for this.... If you still get no heat try partially blocking the radiator with cardboard behind the grill..

If the heater core was plugged, wouldn't it run HOT??? In my experience, Mopars have always ran on the cool side according to the guage. Ae there other issues that you assume are related to your low temps???
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: car won't warm up,no heater? - 11/25/11 02:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

If the heater core was plugged, wouldn't it run HOT??? In my experience, Mopars have always ran on the cool side according to the guage. Ae there other issues that you assume are related to your low temps???

If the radiator were plugged it would run hot, the heater core is completely unimportant to cooling & if plugged coolant flow is un-effected..
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: car won't warm up,no heater? - 11/25/11 02:54 AM

OK, I see my mistake in reading the subject/question and responding to the OP (my apologies).
Posted By: dOc !

Re: car won't warm up,no heater? - 11/25/11 03:25 AM

After it has run for awhile .. is the top of the rad hot? ..It should be. IF NOT .. then there is a blend-door issue in the heater uNder the dash.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: car won't warm up,no heater? - 11/25/11 05:56 AM

My '88 Gran Fury police car barely gets to the 1/4 mark and has heat. It never passes the 1/4 mark even on the hottest Florida days. Like others have said, feel the rad and rad hoses. I agree it is probably a heater core or blend door problem.
Posted By: therocks

Re: car won't warm up,no heater? - 11/25/11 12:41 PM

Check the valve for the heater also.Those had vacuum problems and especially the control head in the dash.I replaced a bunch back when they were daily drivers.Check the heater hoses.Both should be hot.GMs were great for no heat with the crappy DexCool plugging the heater core.Rocky
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: car won't warm up,no heater? - 11/25/11 12:52 PM

Switch the heater hoses at the waterpump OR firewall.

There's usually always an inlet and outlet connection in a heatercore.

If connected wrong it will trap air in the heatercore and you'll barely feel any heat in the car.
Switch the hoses around to the correct factory position and the air will be expelled from the heatercore, making it able to fill up completely with coolant and give off heat again.
Someone must have connected them wrong in the past.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: car won't warm up,no heater? - 11/25/11 04:36 PM

Check the heater hoses, if they are both hot there is a problem under the dash. If one is hot, your core is plugged. If it's plugged flush it with a garden hose from the return (cold) side with the feed (hot) side removed from the engine.

Re: car won't warm up,no heater? - 11/25/11 08:32 PM

both heater hoses are hot

Re: car won't warm up,no heater? - 11/26/11 01:17 AM

You have a blend-air-door problem ... pick up a M-body FSM at the 'brary.
Posted By: therocks

Re: car won't warm up,no heater? - 11/26/11 01:20 PM

If both are hot Id say its a vacuum problem.The hoses usually break and loose vacuum to the control head.That or the head itself.Not a real hard system to fix.Rocky

Re: car won't warm up,no heater? - 11/26/11 02:53 PM

I'm into the vacuum hoses now,lots of dry rotted hoses,I think I'm getting close!

Re: car won't warm up,no heater? - 11/27/11 01:21 AM

we have heat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: car won't warm up,no heater? - 11/27/11 01:29 AM

was it the vac mini hoses

Re: car won't warm up,no heater? - 11/27/11 03:05 AM

yes it was the vacuum hoses under the dash,dry rotted.Didn't cost much to fix,just a little time consuming!

Re: car won't warm up,no heater? - 11/27/11 04:37 AM

U are lucky it was just the hoses .... the blend-air-door itself is a maggot-farmer to get at ...

Re: car won't warm up,no heater? - 11/27/11 05:40 AM

we had it out too,checked everything while there,and your right,I don't want to mess with it again anytime soon!
© 2024 Moparts Forums