Moparts

Magnum headers fit LA?

Posted By: roadrunninMark

Magnum headers fit LA? - 11/23/11 03:17 PM

Hello, quick question about headers. I am looking at a pair of shorty headers that fit 95-01 5.2/5.9 engines. Will these fit the LA small blocks (318) as well?

Thanks,
Mark
Posted By: chargincharles

Re: Magnum headers fit LA? - 11/23/11 03:18 PM

I'm using Hooker headers for an A-body on my Magnum-headed 318 with no issues at all.
They were designed for the LA head.
Shouldn't be a problem.

CC.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Magnum headers fit LA? - 11/23/11 04:05 PM

yes,they fit either head,LA heads have the air injection hole that needs pluged before headers go on.

now wether those shortys fit any other older body style is another story.
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: Magnum headers fit LA? - 11/23/11 05:33 PM

thanks for the info
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Magnum headers fit LA? - 11/23/11 08:59 PM

Not all LA heads have air injection holes and there is a difference between the early and late LA heads.
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: Magnum headers fit LA? - 11/24/11 05:34 AM

Quote:

Not all LA heads have air injection holes and there is a difference between the early and late LA heads.

And a difference between truck LA heads and car LA heads. IIRC, the trucks escaped the air injection heads for a few years after the cars got them (different emission requirements?). I have a set of 360 heads off a '74 van that have the boss for the air injection, but they are not drilled.

And when mixing LA and Magnum exhausts, make sure your mating surfaces are perfect, or you can easily have exhaust leaks at the bottom of the port(s). The floor of Mag ports was raised for better performance , and there is only about 1/8" common sealing area at the bottom of the port when compared against the LA design. If any doubt about your machined surfaces, go with Remflex exhaust manifold gaskets to make sure you have no leaks.
© 2024 Moparts Forums