Moparts

Fixing CAT rockers, will it work?

Posted By: 451Mopar

Fixing CAT rockers, will it work? - 11/23/11 03:03 AM

OK, I know they are cheap rockers, but here's the issue. CAT 1.7:1 stainless rockers need the tang that center over the valve stem ground down so they wont hit the valve locks.
I really don't want to mess pulling the roller out while doing this, so I have been thinking of dipping the roller end in wax (or grease) to seal it so grinding dust won't get on the roller. Do you think this will work?
If not how hard it it to get the "c" clip off the roller pin? looks like I may need a press to get the clip off?
Posted By: earlybee

Re: Fixing CAT rockers, will it work? - 11/23/11 03:56 AM

(OK, I know they are cheap rockers) If its a cheap engine,Go ahead with the grease.......
Posted By: 52savoy

Re: Fixing CAT rockers, will it work? - 11/23/11 01:21 PM

Why not just tape them up with masking tape except where you need to grind?
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Fixing CAT rockers, will it work? - 11/23/11 01:34 PM

I would never run 1.7 cheap rockers, I wouldn't run 1.7 top of the line rockers either.
Posted By: RAMM

Re: Fixing CAT rockers, will it work? - 11/23/11 01:46 PM

So the body of the rocker around the roller tip is larger than the diameter of the roller? Pics would help. Maybe your issues are fixable in another manner. J.Rob
Posted By: 52savoy

Re: Fixing CAT rockers, will it work? - 11/23/11 01:50 PM

Maybe you need the cut down valve locks if you've got rockers hitting them...
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Fixing CAT rockers, will it work? - 11/23/11 03:07 PM

Quote:

Maybe you need the cut down valve locks if you've got rockers hitting them...

Or replace the valve locks to a type that don't stick up like that, sounds like he has valve locks for use with lash caps?

I'd replace the CCJ rockers personally ...

Posted By: shoebox

Re: Fixing CAT rockers, will it work? - 11/23/11 08:56 PM

let me tell you whats going on with mine. i bought a set of used SS procomp 1.5 rockers for my 440. i felt the roller tips had excessive movement in them and i didnt like the tang hanging down. i ground the ends of the "pins" off to punch out the axle for the roller tip. then ground them on a grinder to make them look like the comp rockers. hand filed them smooth and sent the whole mess to gary at RAS. he said im not the first set of these rockers that needed pins. the oiling needs to be corrected to solve the issue. hes having a hard time finding the correct pins for me. he has some but not all. hes thinking of having some made for all of us out there. he likes the rockers as a whole. the geometry is good on them. nice bushings and adjusters etc.. im excited to get mine back sometime soon. i have a picture on my phone of my rockers with my mods and the pins removed id like to post but i cant load upload it here.. let me try thanks

Re: Fixing CAT rockers, will it work? - 11/23/11 09:03 PM

i put the pics on this computer but it wont let me upload them as they are too big sorry
Posted By: challengermike

Re: Fixing CAT rockers, will it work? - 11/23/11 11:45 PM

I just looked at mine and i had to grind some of them alittle.Its hard to see but it is where the flash from the camera is.My rollers are tight with no play,i must of got the only good set,lol

Attached picture 6933136-001(640x480).jpg

Re: Fixing CAT rockers, will it work?->pics - 11/24/11 03:40 AM

Sorry, really need pics to explain, so here they are.
First one is rocker arm with stock 7-degree Stealth retainers/locks (1.83" install height.) No retainer/lock contact throughout lift range.

Attached picture 6933429-droid037.jpg

Re: Fixing CAT rockers, will it work?->pics - 11/24/11 03:43 AM

Second pic with the 10-degree Comp lifters and locks. There is contact at the front edge of the rocker at higher lifts. I did not measure the lift where contact happens.

Attached picture 6933435-droid047.jpg

Re: Fixing CAT rockers, will it work?->pics - 11/24/11 03:50 AM

Pic of pushrod cup oil holes. With the supplied adjusters the upper adjustment would be with the adjuster flush with the lower part of the rocker arm body. It look like you may only have 2-Turns (maybe 3 max?) of adjustment down from there, So correct length pushrods are required. The stainless bodies are bushed, and the roller does not seem loose.

Attached picture 6933446-droid052.jpg

Re: Fixing CAT rockers, will it work?->pics - 11/24/11 03:52 AM

For identification, the CAT name is cast into the rockers.

Attached picture 6933451-droid034.jpg

Re: Fixing CAT rockers, will it work? - 11/24/11 03:55 AM

Quote:

I just looked at mine and i had to grind some of them alittle.Its hard to see but it is where the flash from the camera is.My rollers are tight with no play,i must of got the only good set,lol

Those look different than my CAT rockers? Looks like nicer adjusters too.
Posted By: challengermike

Re: Fixing CAT rockers, will it work? - 11/24/11 05:14 AM

Mine where sold as PRW rockers,but when i got them they had a faint cat symbol on the bottom.I bought them 3 or more years ago so may be the newer ones have changed some.I see yours are way down from the roller.I wonder if it has something to do with them being 1.7 verses my 1.5s.Mine are almost level with the roller but there was a few that would touch the valve so i ground them.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Fixing CAT rockers, will it work?->pics - 11/24/11 06:34 AM

Quote:

Pic of pushrod cup oil holes. With the supplied adjusters the upper adjustment would be with the adjuster flush with the lower part of the rocker arm body. It look like you may only have 2-Turns (maybe 3 max?) of adjustment down from there, So correct length pushrods are required. The stainless bodies are bushed, and the roller does not seem loose.

I run ProComp rockers that had these same adjuster studs in them when I got them. after breaking a second one of them because of this limited adjustability, I called ProComp and talked to them about the issue. They agreed that this design was flawed, and had changed the design of this component. They were happy to send me (16) new studs, that were of a much better design.
Posted By: dodgeboy11

Re: Fixing CAT rockers, will it work?->pics - 11/24/11 07:01 AM

Here were mine. 6000 miles..

Attached picture 6933676-012.JPG

Re: Fixing CAT rockers, will it work?->pics - 11/25/11 06:05 PM

I THINK MINE ARE PROCOMP. THERE IS NO MARKINGS ON THEM ANYWHERE
© 2024 Moparts Forums