Moparts

SFI Hemi Flywheel needed for street car?

Posted By: SSAAHemiFan

SFI Hemi Flywheel needed for street car? - 11/21/11 12:27 AM

Want to know if I should upgrade to a SFI steel flywheel over a stock one? - Street car but will be beat on occasionally - have a lakewood shield and block plate that will be used.

I have never heard of a factory street hemi flywheel coming apart( like Chevy's did) BUT I wasn't around when these cars were built.

Are the Hemi flywheel's better quality than a 383 or 440 flywheel

Thanks !
Posted By: maxie

Re: SFI Hemi Flywheel needed for street car? - 11/21/11 12:39 AM

I have a mcleod flywheel behind my hemi. I get all my 4 speed stuff from Brewers. Give them a shout.
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: SFI Hemi Flywheel needed for street car? - 11/21/11 12:58 AM

I used to come off the line, side-stepping the clutch at over 5500 rpms on a low 11 second RoadRunner for years with a stock flywheel with no problem. Never heard of one coming apart. If you are just going to beat on it on the street once in a while or even with slicks at the track infrequently, I would not worry about it one bit...even if it has some crazing in it.
Posted By: 446acuda

Re: SFI Hemi Flywheel needed for street car? - 11/21/11 02:37 AM

I have a clutch and flywheel book that shows a list of engines that have "OEM high burst strength flywheels". They show the the Hemi as having a cast iron alloy flywheel, and some bb chevy and Boss 302/429 having Nodular cast iron flywheels. It also says engine not listed don't have high burst strength flywheels.
© 2024 Moparts Forums