Moparts

Replacing Trans - use pilot bushing or roller bearing?

Posted By: Chi_Town_Runner

Replacing Trans - use pilot bushing or roller bearing? - 11/17/11 10:36 PM

Will be replacing my 4-speed trans in my '68 RR next month.

When we replaced the trans in my friends Formula "S" we used the newer roller bearing instead of the pilot bushing in the crank(his choice).

It looks like a nice piece. My bushing is relativley new but I was wondering, is the bushing preferred over the roller bearing or is the roller newer tech and better?

I know the roller is used on uncut cranks, but that is not an issue in my case.

Thanks for any input.
Frank
Posted By: Purpleracer

Re: Replacing Trans - use pilot bushing or roller bearing? - 11/17/11 11:07 PM

I prefer the roller. Never did like the bushing type.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Replacing Trans - use pilot bushing or roller bearing? - 11/18/11 01:18 AM

I hate the roller,just one more moving part to fail If you have just a small installation problem where the tranny doesn't go in just right you can damage the roller easily where the bushing is more forgiving when the pilot snout hits it wrong.
Gus

Attached picture 6924366-burnoutpicturegus.JPG
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: Replacing Trans - use pilot bushing or roller bearing? - 11/18/11 02:09 AM

rollers work fine I have pulled them out of cars that had 100k and them still look OK but have seen some that where tore up. but anything can fail I have also seen the bushing crack and fall into pieces.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Replacing Trans - use pilot bushing or roller bearing? - 11/18/11 02:42 AM

aw heck,, put both of them in..
Posted By: topside

Re: Replacing Trans - use pilot bushing or roller bearing? - 11/18/11 02:51 AM

I have one of each ahead of 833s in 2 fairly hot street cars, and can't tell any difference between the 2 in operation, if that's a consideration for you.
Posted By: Moparmaniacc

Re: Replacing Trans - use pilot bushing or roller bearing? - 11/18/11 08:03 PM

Sorry for jumping on your post, but if you have a crank that's not drilled for a 4-speed, and you use a roller, do you have to cut the mainshaft on the trans?
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: Replacing Trans - use pilot bushing or roller bearing? - 11/18/11 09:49 PM

Lots of good info in this one:
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...&PHPSESSID=
Posted By: radar

Re: Replacing Trans - use pilot bushing or roller bearing? - 11/18/11 10:15 PM

I think the hole is sometimes deep enough but unfinished, sometimes not deep enough and the nose of the input shaft has to come off. I have an eagle crank in mine it had a deep enough hole but it was unfinished. I used the torque converter pocket style roller bearing. I was a little worried about smashing it on install but everything went smoothly.

good luck!
Posted By: savoy64

Re: Replacing Trans - use pilot bushing or roller bearing? - 11/18/11 10:38 PM

i have never found an intact roller bearing in a cummins clutch job--find only the shell---personally i not sold on them---but you probably wont get that kind of mileage out of your clutch---bob
Posted By: 68LAR

Re: Replacing Trans - use pilot bushing or roller bearing? - 11/19/11 12:24 AM

Quote:

aw heck,, put both of them in..

That's what I did. I had the bushing in and couldn't get it out, so I left it in and installed the roller bearing. It works just fine.
© 2024 Moparts Forums