Moparts

plastic Lens Polish

Posted By: BigTerry

plastic Lens Polish - 10/09/08 05:34 PM

I thinking about buying some Durgloss Lens polish for my truck headlight cover. Have anyone ever try lens polish before? Permtex has a kit with sandpaper how good is that one?
Posted By: reflections7

Re: Lens Polish - 10/09/08 05:36 PM

you can use regular rubbing compound and get the same results. You can even use a buffer or get 3 inch pad from your local paint store.
Posted By: BradH

Re: Lens Polish - 10/09/08 06:36 PM

Lens Polish?

Really? I thought Len was Italian...
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Lens Polish - 10/09/08 07:54 PM

mothers mag wheel polish
Posted By: Cuda340

Re: Lens Polish - 10/09/08 08:02 PM

Quote:

Lens Polish?

Really? I thought Len was Italian...

I was thinking the same thing, I almost fell off my chair laughing!!!!

Len's Polish? hahaha

I don't know why that is so funny...

Anyways, I have used the sand paper method (wet sand with 220, then 300, then 400 and then polish with any type of compound. The mag wheel polish works well. You can even try Bomani. It is a soft type of abrasive found at the supermarket next to the Comet.
Jeff

Re: Lens Polish - 10/10/08 02:08 AM

I never thought about rubbing compound before I give that a try! Thank for answering guys and even you funny people hehehehe!
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Lens Polish - 10/10/08 02:41 AM

Quote:

I never thought about rubbing compound before I give that a try! Thank for answering guys and even you funny people hehehehe!

Very fine rubing compound work good.

Also.... Toothpaste. Seriously, try it.
Posted By: 68Cbarge

Re: Lens Polish - 10/10/08 03:22 AM

Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Lens Polish - 10/10/08 04:37 PM

Again Mothers mag wheel polish works wonders on lenses. Try it and you will see. Mike
Posted By: geno440

Re: Lens Polish - 10/10/08 04:50 PM

i use the same stuff i buff clear coat with. Medium. works fine by hand or buffer.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: plastic Lens Polish - 10/11/08 01:08 AM

Quote:

I thinking about buying some Durgloss Lens polish for my truck headlight cover. Have anyone ever try lens polish before? Permtex has a kit with sandpaper how good is that one?

Read my review HERE.

How often do you plan on polishing plastic lenses? This was a big factor for me buying the Permatex kit.

Re: plastic Lens Polish - 10/11/08 01:49 AM

Hey Thank for answering guys!! I just leeree about sanding plastic! I going to give the rubbing compound a try torrorrow or the Toothpaste!
Posted By: amchale

Re: plastic Lens Polish - 10/11/08 03:46 AM

I've used Meguiar's clear plastic polish on gauge clusters before that were lightly scratched with pretty solid results.
Posted By: minivan

Re: plastic Lens Polish - 10/11/08 03:59 AM

I purchased Eastwoods plastic polish and their string buffer wheel.. Makes plastic look new again.
Posted By: Kirk_Ingram

Re: plastic Lens Polish - 10/11/08 04:23 AM

3M also makes a plastic polish compound, available at most auto paint/supply shops.
It won't "revive the dead", but does a heck of a job on weathered lenses. Easy to use and will not harm your 30-40 year plastic.

My rating: out of dancing bannanas

Re: plastic Lens Polish - 10/11/08 02:12 PM

Re: plastic Lens Polish - 10/12/08 05:14 PM

wow toothpaste work pretty good,but not really well still some yellowing not as bad! going to use some rubbing compound to see if that bring a clearer shine! thank guys!!
Posted By: Fluffy

Re: plastic Lens Polish - 10/12/08 05:33 PM

Flitz and a powerball(or similar)

Re: plastic Lens Polish - 10/13/08 01:37 AM

never heard of that brand... is it any good?
Posted By: Fluffy

Re: plastic Lens Polish - 10/13/08 02:18 AM

Quote:

never heard of that brand... is it any good?

Yes, it worked well for me. It's like a paste with some gritty stuff in it to help. I'm not sure who sells it now, I've had mine for so long and haven't run out yet. Got a decent sample tube in the mail.

http://www.flitzusa.com/shop/
Posted By: Mass_Mopar

Re: plastic Lens Polish - 10/13/08 12:57 PM

My friend and I re-did his 2000 Camaro headlights with a cheap-o $12 "3 stage" polish kit. It had 2 levels of polish and a cleaner in it. We bought some sand paper, and started wetsanding with 600, then 1000, then 1500, then the 1st polish, 2nd polish, then cleaner. Sanding took 30-45 mins per layer, the longer you spend getting the sanding nice and even, the better the results. The entire process took us 4 hours and a case of beer. They came out looking brand new.
Posted By: GTXKen

Re: plastic Lens Polish - 10/13/08 01:28 PM

Quote:

My friend and I re-did his 2000 Camaro headlights with a cheap-o $12 "3 stage" polish kit. It had 2 levels of polish and a cleaner in it. We bought some sand paper, and started wetsanding with 600, then 1000, then 1500, then the 1st polish, 2nd polish, then cleaner. Sanding took 30-45 mins per layer, the longer you spend getting the sanding nice and even, the better the results. The entire process took us 4 hours and a case of beer. They came out looking brand new.

What he said, my son and I did the lenses on his intrepid Saturday, 600, then 2000 then rubbing compound and finally swirl remover. It might have taken a total of a half hour.
Posted By: 68CoronetRT

Re: plastic Lens Polish - 10/15/08 05:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

. . . The entire process took us 4 hours and a case of beer. They came out looking brand new.

. . . It might have taken a total of a half hour.

Hmmm, I wonder if the 3 1/2 extras hours had anything to do with the case of beer?
Posted By: goldmember

Re: plastic Lens Polish - 10/19/08 08:27 AM

I guess this is a PLASTIC lense? You don't need sandpaper for plastic.Use what the pros do,plastic polish. 6" buff at 1750rpm with the correct polish works wonders. I polish everything from watch crystals (vintage plastic) to motorcylcle fairings to tail light lenses and the results are beautiful.
Posted By: shaker340

Re: plastic Lens Polish - 10/19/08 01:49 PM

What polish do the pros use?

Mike
Posted By: goldmember

Re: plastic Lens Polish - 10/19/08 03:52 PM

I use Newall plastic refininsher,its sold as watch crystal polish in most jewelers supply outlets.
© 2024 Moparts Forums