Moparts

Anyone remote power steering pump on an older Mopar

Posted By: 70chall440

Anyone remote power steering pump on an older Mopar - 11/11/11 02:44 AM

I am trying to figure out how to run a remote PS pump/reservoir on my 73 Cuda (416 CI, EFI 6 pac) and wondering if anyone out there is or has done it. There appears to be several options running from the Type II GM style to the late model Mopar versions. However I do not know the line pressure I should be looking for and subsequently would will work. I want to run one to clean up the left side of the motor and since this is a bit of a road race car, I think it will give me some options; not to mention I am not fond of the factory PS pumps, expecially thier pulleys. I can fabricate the brackets once I have a pumpt to work with.
Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: Anyone remote power steering pump on an older Mopar - 11/11/11 05:30 AM

Re: pressure. IIRC, a recent MA article said that
Mopar pumps for B/E bodies were originally 1300 psi or so. However, they were overboosted. A zero-buck fix was to add a washer in the valve assembly that dropped it to 700-850 or so for just-as-good steering with much better road feel to the wheel.

Can't talk to pump replacement, though.

Lots of late model vehicles have the remote reservoirs. Even my 86 Supra had a remote reservoir...

Re: Anyone remote power steering pump on an older Mopar - 11/11/11 11:03 PM

thanks, I remember reading about that now that you mention it. You are right, there are lots of pumps. I just needed a place to start (now I have one).
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Anyone remote power steering pump on an older Mopar - 11/12/11 12:35 AM

The late model pumps from a GM can be made to work if you have some machining capability. These pumps are nice and light and easy to find replacement parts for.

Attached picture 6914623-DSC_0518(Medium).JPG
Posted By: POS Dakota

Re: Anyone remote power steering pump on an older Mopar - 11/12/11 01:54 AM

That's pretty slick Andy.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Anyone remote power steering pump on an older Mopar - 11/12/11 03:10 AM

You can get a remote saginaw pump from a mid-late 80's chebby diesel with hydroboost, they have a remote resevoir. Tim
Posted By: RV2

Re: Anyone remote power steering pump on an older Mopar - 11/12/11 04:10 AM

Hey Andy what pulley is that on the pump in your pic?
Posted By: MoPar Jamie

Re: Anyone remote power steering pump on an older Mopar - 11/12/11 04:13 AM

Some of the mid-late 80s HD trucks with the 360-4v also had a remote resevoir. They had two smog pumps so they had to have the remote resevoir. The pump bolts to a stock bracket IIRC and you would have to find a place to mount the resevoir.

Re: Anyone remote power steering pump on an older Mopar - 11/12/11 10:57 PM

Quote:

Some of the mid-late 80s HD trucks with the 360-4v also had a remote resevoir. They had two smog pumps so they had to have the remote resevoir. The pump bolts to a stock bracket IIRC and you would have to find a place to mount the resevoir.

that is excellent information. I talked to Firm Feel, and they told me that the stock Mopar (70's era) steering box was designed to accept 800 psi (the pressure of a stock Mopar PSP), however the new pumps used on Challengers, Chargers etc are 1000 psi. they said they have seen them (the new pumps) used on vintage Mopar's without issue, however they feel 1000 psi is a bit much.

Re: Anyone remote power steering pump on an older Mopar - 11/13/11 12:19 AM

The stock mopar pumps like the one pictured above is a POS, we run them on jeeps and go through them like crazy. Get a good saginaw with brackets and never worry about them again. Tim
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Anyone remote power steering pump on an older Mopar - 11/13/11 05:26 AM

Quote:

The stock mopar pumps like the one pictured above is a POS, we run them on jeeps and go through them like crazy. Get a good saginaw with brackets and never worry about them again. Tim

I thought this was a Sagninaw pump pictured below and in AndyF's post? That pump is the same style as the ones we run on our circle track cars.

Re: Anyone remote power steering pump on an older Mopar - 11/13/11 08:08 AM

That is the same pump as a jeep cherokee with a 4.0, the 94 wrangler pump is remote resevoir and the same style. I like the older pumps, they seem to last longer, like one you would find in a 70-90's GM or Dodge truck. It helps to have a cooler too. If you want that style of pump, check out Vanco's site and PSC

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/
http://www.vancopbs.com/

Re: Anyone remote power steering pump on an older Mopar - 11/13/11 08:13 AM

This is more like what I would buy, need a pulley though and stock brackes from small block fit. TIm

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/94-02-dodg...e-feed-can.html

Re: Anyone remote power steering pump on an older Mopar - 11/13/11 08:51 AM

Quote:

This is more like what I would buy, need a pulley though and stock brackes from small block fit. TIm

That looks like the oval canned Saginaw pumps use off and on in late 60's all the way up to the 80's.

The Federal and Eaton round filler neck pump, IMHO, blow.

Attached picture 6917002-3_12_11Sm16.JPG

Re: Anyone remote power steering pump on an older Mopar - 11/13/11 09:07 AM

These are the modern remote pumps most race car use nowdays:

Here's the same type/idea with a modified bracket to work on the Hotchkis E-Max Challenger 340 motor.

Posted By: kilroy

Re: Anyone remote power steering pump on an older Mopar - 11/13/11 02:55 PM

What AN attachments are you using
1. to get the high pressure side from the pump to the sector
2. the fittings on the sector for the high pressure and low pressure sides side
Posted By: kilroy

Re: Anyone remote power steering pump on an older Mopar - 11/13/11 04:04 PM

Quote:

Never mind.

Found some here. Does this look right?

http://www.jimsautoparts.com/steering_parts.htm

FW-923 Power Steering High Pressure Hose FITTINGS Fits All Year, Make & Model $ 39.95/pr
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Anyone remote power steering pump on an older Mopar - 11/13/11 06:18 PM

Did this in my '67 and have now have one in my '74. Thinking of adding hard lines from the tank to in front of the radiator support and plumbing in a cooler next summer.

Attached picture 6917539-pump1.jpg

Re: Anyone remote power steering pump on an older Mopar - 11/13/11 07:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Never mind.

Found some here. Does this look right?

http://www.jimsautoparts.com/steering_parts.htm

FW-923 Power Steering High Pressure Hose FITTINGS Fits All Year, Make & Model $ 39.95/pr

No. That's just a right angle version of what you probably allread have on your car. It's just compression fitting, not AN.

You need a fitting that goes from that thread in the box with a o-ring to AN. I thought there was something out there. Check/call http://www.ormebrothers.com/

DO NOT buy anything from Jims Auto Parts. They have a horrible reputation in this industry for service and price. For example that Saginaw power steering pump rebuild kit Jims lists for $89 can be bought at Rock Auto or any local parts store for under $20.

Re: Anyone remote power steering pump on an older Mopar - 11/14/11 12:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That looks like the oval canned Saginaw pumps use off and on in late 60's all the way up to the 80's.

The Federal and Eaton round filler neck pump, IMHO, blow.

I agree, especially dealing with the pullys. finding the right brackets can also be a pain. These are some of the reasons I am going with a remote reservoir style. Another thing I want to do is a use a regulator inline with the pump and a pressure gauge, I am "thinking" I might be able to "dial in" the streering feel via pressure regulation. Now I just have to find the pump to use.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Anyone remote power steering pump on an older Mopar - 11/14/11 03:13 AM

Street rod or circle track places will have plenty of choices. The picture I posted above was a pump from Unisteer. I think most everyone is using a late model GM pump although I don't know who the actual mfg is. Lots of places have the fittings and tanks for a remote setup.

Re: Anyone remote power steering pump on an older Mopar - 11/15/11 06:40 AM

yea, I am seeing that. The one issue however remains the pressure. The one from SW speed runs at 1200+ and a stock Mopar steering box is designed to run at 800. that said, I am looking into a pressure regulator to allow me to adjust it. If you have this capabilty, then there are lots of pumps available.
© 2024 Moparts Forums