Moparts

Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine???

Posted By: TX9H6E4CUDA

Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine??? - 11/09/11 03:33 AM

Im running these slots on my bee since they have been on the car since it was almost new.

Now I watched the movie Starsky and Hutch and saw them polished and they look like this

previously I had taken some alloy wheel polish and a car buffer and got the finish in the first picture. What do I have to do to get the finish in the torino picture?
Thanks for the help again moparts
Posted By: sam64

Re: Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine??? - 11/09/11 04:01 AM

get some mothers mag wheel polish and a power ball and get after it,clean the black crud off the wheel often.
Posted By: 62440

Re: Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine??? - 11/09/11 06:53 AM

Nice wheels !!! I have the same on my car. I've never tried Zoop Seal, but I heard it's the best. http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/zoop-seal-coating-polished-aluminum-results-30516.html
Posted By: RemCharger

Re: Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine??? - 11/09/11 07:28 AM

they 14s?
Posted By: TX9H6E4CUDA

Re: Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine??? - 11/09/11 08:15 AM

Nope they are 15's
Posted By: Mr340

Re: Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine??? - 11/09/11 02:48 PM

When I had Ansens on my barracuda I used Simichrome polish. gave it an almost chrome like shine to them.
Posted By: MRHWS

Re: Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine??? - 11/09/11 02:55 PM

I used Brasso on mine back in '68.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine??? - 11/09/11 03:40 PM

This is what I would use on them, that big ole buffer would make short work out of it.

Have tried many different polishes over the years and this is what I think is best.

I do these old ugly wheels with it about once a year and can do them in minutes because the wheels are a easy design to polish. Get a wool or cotton buffer pad and get some work done. Don't fall for those chessy foam pads they sell, they are a joke compared to wool or cotton.
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine??? - 11/09/11 07:44 PM

Got any truck stops near by? The polisher guys do semi wheels for $5 a piece. They ussually use a mix of a few things/lighter fluid.

Many polish by hand, no buffer.
Posted By: azmopar

Re: Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine??? - 11/09/11 07:47 PM

Quote:

Got any truck stops near by? The polisher guys do semi wheels for $5 a piece. They ussually use a mix of a few things/lighter fluid.

Many polish by hand, no buffer.

I had a set of magnum/cordoba wheels done at a truck stop guy $5 a wheel and cam out nice!@!!!
Posted By: Ledman_70

Re: Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine??? - 11/09/11 07:56 PM

The problem with polishing old aluminum wheels is that they usually have some kind of clear on them and if you don't strip it off first, you'll never be able to get a chrome shine. You can't polish the clear off, but you can strip it off with things like easy off oven cleaner in the can with the yellow kid. Not all wheels have the clear, or the clear is still good, so they can be polished. I had this issue 2 years ago trying to polish the stainless rockers on a 68 Sport Fury. Stipped the clear with Drano crystals and heat, then they polished up better. The fumes can lay you out, so be careful.
Posted By: pishta

Re: Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine??? - 11/10/11 02:54 AM

alot has to do with the metellurgy too. Try polishing a set of M/T covers then polish a set of Cal-customs. The Cals look better with the same amount of work due to its better quality AL. I got some BAD Westerns looking half decent with a purple scotchbrite drum on a drill and some mothers, but nowhere close to that S&H Torino. Maybe professional polish and clear.
Posted By: dirt

Re: Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine??? - 11/10/11 02:38 PM

it always takes me a whole lot of work to get aluminum shined up if it wasnt allready pretty smooth. i tried one of my aluminum slot wheels and it took forever by hand!
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine??? - 11/10/11 03:55 PM

this is worth a look:

http://www.gordsaluminumpolish.com/
Posted By: toplescuda

Re: Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine??? - 11/10/11 05:00 PM

ok you may not want to hear this but i promise it will get ya what your looking for
go get some tripple 0 or 0000 steel whool your gonna have to get to good alum
just pretend that your gonna polish with the wool
it will turn black,that good cause the more black you get out of the alum the better
after some rubbing will start to see reflection next i would use some fast cutting rubbing compound it will take out the fine scratches the steel wool made again thr more black the rag or buffer wheel gets out the better
after this stage you will notice huge differance then what you started with
now you can hit it with some mothers alum polish but do small spots and get it to mirror shine before you move to next spot always try to just work a spot the size od baseball and prob go over that same spot least 3-4times before moveing on lots of junk t shirts will be your friend
you will get a shine you can read a paper in but lots of elbow grease
the powerball/drill not gonna help till you get the high luster first
remember the more black you get to come out of the alum the better
dont be stupid and try clearing the rim cause will take the high luster you just worked for out and leave the never dull where you found it
Posted By: JAMESDART

Re: Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine??? - 11/13/11 04:14 PM

to get the best possible shine from aluminum you have to sand all imperfections out of them, right down to the very fine machined finish, any pits, scratches... treat them like paint, start with a coarse paper to know everything down and go finer in steps to the point you can polish them,there are so many different way to polish once you get to this point. that is the only way you will get a real reflection out of them. if you polish the surface you have now, they will improve, but you can still get them better.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine??? - 11/13/11 04:24 PM

Quote:

dont be stupid and try clearing the rim cause will take the high luster you just worked for out and leave the never dull where you found it

Ralph clarify that for me I'm a noob at this

Re: Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine??? - 11/13/11 05:18 PM

there is a product called never dull
its cotten/whool soaked on something
its ok if your wanting to clean something ya found in the junk yard but no match for the mouthers wheel polish

Re: Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine??? - 11/13/11 05:22 PM

OK mothers only & what about clearing (cleaning) the rim?
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine??? - 11/13/11 05:46 PM

Quote:

Clearing the polished rims?

Pros: The clear protects your polish work from oxidizing

Cons: The clear is subject to damage. Easy to crack/peel from a polished surface.

The clear will often reduce the mirror shine to some degree.

I would NOT clear them. I have uncoated aluminum wheels on both my daily driver and 'Cuda and they are just fine.

Re: Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine??? - 11/13/11 05:53 PM

Quote:

I would NOT clear them.

Oh OK no spray clear should be used. Got it Thanks Pac EDIT Didn't read the whole thread, that was my prob
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine??? - 11/13/11 06:44 PM

Jeweler's Rouge with a buffing wheel is what you want to use. The red stuff will likely get you the results you want but if you really want to over do it you can follow it with green and finish with white.

You will need a buffer like this.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DEWALT-Right-Angle-Polisher-4LD98?Pid=search

Iowa80 has kits and supplies

http://www.iowa80.com/DirectionsWEB/webcart_category3.php?catid=BUFFKITS

Kevin
Posted By: G-Money1320

Re: Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine??? - 11/14/11 02:06 AM

The best polish I have used is called Purple and you can get it at truck stops or some vendors have it at the bigger shows. I have used all kinds of polish including Mothers, Blue Magic,Wenol, Never Dull and the Purple has the best after shine to where it takes a whole lot more time to oxidize back up. Now mind you im talking on big rig fuel tanks that are subjected to all kinds of weather conditions and get dirtier faster than your wheels but you want a polish that not only cleans but stays that way longer. Use some kind of buffer wheel or ball and that should save some time as well as have more effect while polishing.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine??? - 11/14/11 04:26 PM

Anyone ever try clear powder coat?
R.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine??? - 11/14/11 04:36 PM

Quote:

Jeweler's Rouge with a buffing wheel is what you want to use. The red stuff will likely get you the results you want but if you really want to over do it you can follow it with green and finish with white.

You will need a buffer like this.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DEWALT-Right-Angle-Polisher-4LD98?Pid=search

Iowa80 has kits and supplies

http://www.iowa80.com/DirectionsWEB/webcart_category3.php?catid=BUFFKITS

Kevin

had my weld done at the I-75 chrome shop,this is what they used,12 yr old untouched welds looked like the new 12s i put on the back2 days before the fronts got polished.

Re: Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine??? - 11/14/11 04:38 PM

any type of coating will dull it some and heat will make it yellow over time also you will throw them away before you ever get the powder coat off if need be
try some gibbs oil on them to keep them from oxidizing i use it on my mag. polished parts them things will corrode over night lol
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine??? - 11/14/11 06:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Clearing the polished rims?

Pros: The clear protects your polish work from oxidizing

Cons: The clear is subject to damage. Easy to crack/peel from a polished surface.

I would NOT clear them. I have uncoated aluminum wheels on both my daily driver and 'Cuda and they are just fine.

If you wish to "clear coat" the rims, 2 choices IMHO, powdercoat in clear, or yes POR-15 makes a product for polished/chromed finishes called "Glisten PC" if I recall the name correctly, stuff drys rock hard and stays clear, I did a few motorcycle parts with it.....no issues, as long as you remove all traces of wax/polish and FINGERPRINTS before coating
Posted By: dvw

Re: Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine??? - 11/15/11 03:58 AM

Quote:

to get the best possible shine from aluminum you have to sand all imperfections out of them, right down to the very fine machined finish, any pits, scratches... treat them like paint, start with a coarse paper to know everything down and go finer in steps to the point you can polish them,there are so many different way to polish once you get to this point. that is the only way you will get a real reflection out of them. if you polish the surface you have now, they will improve, but you can still get them better.

This is the true answer. You need to sand out the scratches and pits. I've restored many vintage wheels. Due to casting quality they may have pits even after sanding. Some wheels will look better do to casting quality. Newer wheels are better quality and generally look better. This is not to say older ones won't look nice. Start as fine as possible. If 400 grit doesn't get it, go coarser. You don't need to sand coarser everywhere, only the bad spots. I go to 80 grit if necessary. Finish aluminum with 1000 grit then a wool pad. Stainless can be repaired the same way. Just finish with 2000 grit. I'm doing a set of American 200S right now. Here's a pic of the results in stainless.
Doug

Attached picture 6919935-racecar698.jpg
Posted By: Johnsnow Kornar

Re: Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine??? - 08/24/17 09:01 AM

Might anyone be able to give me some contribution on what they utilized and additionally did to clean aluminum to a mirror wrap up? It was cash well spent. This stuff is truly astounding with regards to cleaning aluminum. Visit my webpage for details
http://automobiledecor.com/best-aluminum-polish-reviews/
Posted By: crlush

Re: Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine??? - 08/24/17 01:43 PM

Another recomendation for Autosol
Posted By: minivan

Re: Polishing Asen aluminum slot to a chrome shine??? - 08/24/17 08:44 PM

By the time you buy all of the items to do a really nice job, you can probably pay a pro to do it for you.. NOT some high priced shop, but a polish guy that works out of his home..

You can start with the cotton wadding cleaner, Neverdull.. If its not cleaning them, go to sand paper or steel wool with an aluminum cleaner type of polish..
Finish with a mothers or autosol type of polish...

There were two types of finish's offered on Ansen type slot wheels in the day, polished and a "turned" finish... I am sure you can polish out the "turned" finish if you want to...

Personally I would never clear coat em..

I did see a few years ago some sort of sealer ( Zoop) you apply to aluminum after you are done polishing them.. It claimed to "seal" the aluminum pores so the shine would last longer... Never have used it...

I had the wheels polished by a pro ( truck in pic) in the early 90's.. They were really sad before I had them polished and looked unbelievable when done... NEVER had to redo them in the 10 years I had that stepside truck...

First two pics are before, second two are after...

Attached picture DSCF0224.JPG
Attached picture DSCF0215.JPG
Attached picture DSCF0225.JPG
Attached picture DSCF0226.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums