Moparts

hard starting when warm

Posted By: 7434 mopars

hard starting when warm - 11/08/11 02:58 AM

After driving my 70 challenger 440-6 pack, I shut it off and when I tried to start it again when the engine was warm, it wouldn't start. When I tried to start it when warm, it would just crank over and over.
I had to wait till it cooled off before it would start. Any suggestions would be apprecited.
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: hard starting when warm - 11/08/11 03:22 AM

When my dad's car had this problem, we searched for vapor lock etc., nope.

It turned out the reluctor gap in the MP distributor was too wide. We set it to spec .008" and it was fine after that.
Posted By: Moparmaniacc

Re: hard starting when warm - 11/08/11 03:25 AM

Starting ether will get anything started as long as the ignition still works!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: hard starting when warm - 11/08/11 04:57 AM

Quote:

Starting ether will get anything started as long as the ignition still works!

X2. They say it's hard on the eng but dont remem why but I use it on occaision but try to keep it to a minimum
Posted By: zrxkawboy

Re: hard starting when warm - 11/08/11 05:01 AM

Quote:

It turned out the reluctor gap in the MP distributor was too wide. We set it to spec .008" and it was fine after that.

I had this happen once, too.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: hard starting when warm - 11/08/11 05:10 AM

Do you have a vapor separator? I had this problem with mine and it turned out the return orifice of the vapor separator was too large. After a hot shut-down I guess it was returning enough fuel through the return hose to not supply enough to restart the engine until it cooled. I put a hose clamp on the rubber part of the return line right after the separator and clamped it down hard enough to block off the return completely and it fired right up and ran like a champ. I've heard from others that this can be a problem with repro vapor separators.

Quote:

Quote:

As did I. For some reason the reluctor gap only affected hot restarts.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: hard starting when warm - 11/08/11 05:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

If the gap is too wide, the ECU box will not fire..
Also the gap is even more critical of the air temperature is on the cold side, harder for the magnet to close..

Just my $0.02..
© 2024 Moparts Forums