Moparts

Do all 72 Charger 400s have starter relay? Mine Don't

Posted By: 70Coronet500Vert

Do all 72 Charger 400s have starter relay? Mine Don't - 11/04/11 12:20 PM

We are still having sporadic starting issues. But the biggest problem is that there is no starter relay. It shows up in the wiring diagrams, but appears optional for 60A alternator cars. That doesn't make sense
Posted By: Gabmando

Re: Do all 72 Charger 400s have starter relay? Mine Don't - 11/04/11 12:34 PM

My 72 Charger is a 400CID M code. It does have a starter relay.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Do all 72 Charger 400s have starter relay? Mine Don't - 11/04/11 02:00 PM

It has to have a starter relay if it is starting, unless someone rewired the car because the neutral safety switch also connects to the relay.

Follow the positive cable , where does it lead to ?
Posted By: MRHWS

Re: Do all 72 Charger 400s have starter relay? Mine Don't - 11/04/11 03:58 PM

Quote:

It has to have a starter relay if it is starting, unless someone rewired the car because the neutral safety switch also connects to the relay .

Follow the positive cable , where does it lead to ?

Agreed, as does all power to the rest of the car.

Re: Do all 72 Charger 400s have starter relay? Mine Don't - 11/04/11 06:28 PM

No neutral safety switch. Car definitely been rewired.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Do all 72 Charger 400s have starter relay? Mine Don't - 11/04/11 08:22 PM

Quote:

Re: Do all 72 Charger 400s have starter relay? Mine Don't - 11/04/11 10:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

LMAO! That was helpful!

I redid the main engine harness. Next is the headlight harness. Problem is still all the wires we melted under the dash. I think we melted the main junction. I will be looking into that tomorrow.
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: Do all 72 Charger 400s have starter relay? Mine Don't - 11/05/11 12:15 PM

The starter relay was there to protect those wires under the dash - to keep from running the high amperage necessary for the starter solenoid through the bulkhead, switch, wiring, etc.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Do all 72 Charger 400s have starter relay? Mine Don't - 11/05/11 03:06 PM

If it was a race/stock car and they ran a wire from the starter batt stud in to a momentary contact switch and out to the starter small solenoid stud it'd work but I dont think that's the case here. I had harness probs and I finally just bought a good used complete underdash harness from a good guy (Steve Remington) on FABO. I finally realized the time to sort it was a waste and you're in a worse spot with burnt/hacked stuff. Good luck w it. PS What is LMAO ? Only acronym I never used on here EDIT & that in/out would not be thru the bulkhead but 2 seperate firewall holes/wires
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: Do all 72 Charger 400s have starter relay? Mine Don't - 11/05/11 03:45 PM

Quote:

If it was a race/stock car and they ran a wire from the starter batt stud in to a momentary contact switch and out to the starter small solenoid stud it'd work but I dont think that's the case here. I had harness probs and I finally just bought a good used complete underdash harness from a good guy (Steve Remington) on FABO. I finally realized the time to sort it was a waste and you're in a worse spot with burnt/hacked stuff. Good luck w it. PS What is LMAO ? Only acronym I never used on here

LMAO = Laughed My A** Off
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Do all 72 Charger 400s have starter relay? Mine Don't - 11/05/11 09:51 PM

I got it now

Re: Do all 72 Charger 400s have starter relay? Mine Don't - 11/07/11 05:49 PM

Quote:

The starter relay was there to protect those wires under the dash - to keep from running the high amperage necessary for the starter solenoid through the bulkhead, switch, wiring, etc.

I think the current still went through, before the starter relay. Teh fix is to wire it directly to the starter relay, then go through the bukhead.
© 2024 Moparts Forums