Moparts

Shorties vs. Long Tube Headers

Posted By: BlakDak

Shorties vs. Long Tube Headers - 05/20/08 03:23 PM

I currently have gibson shorties on my 93 Dakota..... the exhaust from the y back needs replaced.

I saw that hooker makes a full length header for 87 to 91 trucks. I assume they will fit the later till 96... I just can't run EGR.

Is there any benefit to this?
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Shorties vs. Long Tube Headers - 05/20/08 03:35 PM

Long tube headers make more power than shorties, but how much more is a good question. I've heard some say shorties don't make much more power than manifolds. But I've never seen dyno runs on each type to confirm that. If your setup is not very serious, ie just a couple bolt-ons, you'd have to evaluate whether any possible power increase to you would be worth the price of a new set of headers.

You can lose EGR. Worst case scenario the computer stores a code saying something like 'no a/f ratio change detected when EGR solenoid activated'. Not exactly the end of the world there. But then, do you have emissions testing where you are? No EGR may cause a problem...

Re: Shorties vs. Long Tube Headers - 05/20/08 04:26 PM

no testing.... so not a problem, unless it kicks the light on, then it will annoy the chit out of me...:D

I'll probably be dropping a 5.9 in soon with a cam, 1.7 rockers, single plane intake, maybe some ally heads.

So I am kinda planning ahead.

They don't show pics of them, and I would be really po'd if they are nothing but regular truck headers.

Re: Shorties vs. Long Tube Headers - 05/21/08 03:26 AM

I was looking under the truck today.... it looks like it would be a pain to run exhaust with long tube headers.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Shorties vs. Long Tube Headers - 05/21/08 04:11 AM

Quote:

I was looking under the truck today.... it looks like it would be a pain to run exhaust with long tube headers.

Yeah, and in what vehicle is it not a pain?

Posted By: 375inStroke

Re: Shorties vs. Long Tube Headers - 05/21/08 10:29 AM

Here's a smallblock exhaust shootout: Exhaust Blowout on a Mopar 300hp Crate
Posted By: dgc333

Re: Shorties vs. Long Tube Headers - 05/21/08 10:32 AM

FWIW, here are some rules of thumb on headers.

1. tube diameter determines the rpm at which the torque peak occurs.

2. The length of the tube rocks the curve around the torque peak with longer tubes favoring rpms below the peak and shorter tubes above the peak.

3. Larger Collector diameter increases the torque above the peak, smaller below the peak.

4. longer collectors increase torque below the peak and shorter above.

In a nut shell shorty headers will be most beneficial in the higher rpm ranges and in the case of an otherwise stock engine the cam and intake are designed for low rpm torque so they have a modest benefit at best.

Re: Shorties vs. Long Tube Headers - 05/21/08 12:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, and in what vehicle is it not a pain?

the big thing is the gas tank...... if it wasn't there, it'd be a piece of cake...:P
Posted By: Clair_Davis

Re: Shorties vs. Long Tube Headers - 05/21/08 01:22 PM

Two words: Fuel Cell

Plenty of room for one in the bed, and then you can run just about whatever exhaust you want...

Clair

Re: Shorties vs. Long Tube Headers - 05/21/08 05:27 PM

I still use it as a truck.....

I want it to haul, and haul [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean]...:P
Posted By: 360view

Re: Shorties vs. Long Tube Headers - 05/22/08 12:02 PM

We would be all better off
if we stuck to using the term
"Long Tube Header"
for a sb V8 as being a header with primary pipe
over 42 inches
like MP engineer Larry Shepard says works best
and the Dulcich 'blowout' article seems to confirm.

All the rest are
"Shorties"
including the Hooker
mentioned above

A good rough rule of thumb
is that shorty 4 into 1 headers
give no more than a 3% max hp boost
while the long tubes may be good for 5%
© 2024 Moparts Forums