Moparts

Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow

Posted By: tywebb2

Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 10/27/11 02:05 AM

I have Flowmaster series 40 mufflers on my '72 440 Cuda and hate the resonance at low speeds. I was thinking about switching to Dynomax Ultra Flo or Magnaflow mufflers. Also read somewhere that the Pypes mufflers were a lot like the Magnaflows but less $$$. What mufflers are you guys running and how do you like them.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 10/27/11 02:11 AM

I am currently running Magnaflows on a 70 440 'Cuda and really like them. 2.5" system though. If you're running a 3" that could be a problem.
No drone, not too loud but still a bark when you step on it.
Like them better than the Dynomax's I ran on a different 440 Cuda
Posted By: kilroy

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 10/27/11 02:20 AM

Not a big fan of my Ultra Flows. 3" exhaust with x pipe on a 73 charger. BIG time drone between 2100-2400... Just my setup I suppose. Will be going super turbos next time. But they havent rotted or broken baffles like all the chambered mufflers ive tried have.
Posted By: Strawdawg

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 10/27/11 02:22 AM

I normally run Ultraflos but I don't think there is much difference between them as they have the same basic design. Not much that has lower back pressure than the Ultraflos. I think the Magnas are similar.

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 10/27/11 02:50 AM

I have a 3" exhaust with x-pipe and tailpipes exiting through rear valance if it makes a difference.
Posted By: mjs69gts

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 10/27/11 03:20 AM

i have the hooker erouchamber muffs for my dart
Posted By: MidPenMopar

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 10/27/11 03:37 AM

Dynomax are the toughest and best sounding mufflers i have ever owned at least in my opinion!
Posted By: Darryls-Demon

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 10/27/11 04:28 AM

I have a complete 3 inch X pipe TTI system on my Challenger with Magnaflows,zero drone, sounds great but it is Not Quiet.

Attached picture 6890381-IMG_1133.JPG
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 10/27/11 04:35 AM

Hooker Aero Chambers
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 10/27/11 04:36 AM

I have a 3" X pipe system, turn downs after the axles, and 3" Magnaflows. No drone, not overly loud at idle and cruise, but barks when the pedal is down.

I made a little comparison video a few years back when I had switched from Flowtech afterburners to Magnaflows. The afterburners did have resonance, but that was gone once I installed the Magnaflows. The afterburners did have a cool classic sound though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vc2zqjSTjs
Posted By: Joshs68

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 10/27/11 05:04 AM

I Like the sound of my Magnaflows (3") I would think the Dynomax are similar, they are close in design. i like the stainless steel part...
Posted By: mosweethemi

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 10/27/11 06:36 AM

Hey Flowmaster Is the best ! I have them on all of my Mopars even my new dodge truck, 40,s with 3" x pipe 2,1/2 x pipe . New Dodge Truck 50 with stock 3" thats my
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 10/27/11 07:09 AM

I have a set of 3 inch Mganflows on my Duster mounted at the rear bumper, usea set on yours like the factory resonators
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 10/27/11 11:18 AM

I have a set of 3-1/2" ultra flows with an X-pipe. I love the sound.Dave

Posted By: VanishPt

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 10/27/11 12:33 PM

you will be able to hear my setup on video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1zMriXY5Ik&feature=email

511 hemi 3.5" X 3" x pipe with super turbo under the rear seat and Ultraflows back by the tank.
Posted By: johnscudashop

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 10/27/11 12:39 PM

Posted By: babarracuda

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 10/27/11 01:19 PM

I have TTI W2 headers and 3" through the dynomax super turbo mufflers and 2 1/2" tail pipes I have a drone at 25-35 MPH. I am think that the 1 7/8" header may be part of the problem. I am installing 2 1/2" Summit 12" glass packs in the tail pipes. I guess I am too old for that much noise. It is quiet above 35 MPH, but I can't stand the noise around town. I hope I don't lose the bark when I stand on it.
Posted By: 65rbdodge

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 10/27/11 01:24 PM

my coronet has a full 3" system w/hpipe and ultra flows. my dart had 2.5" system w/ xpipe and pypes race pros(dumps in front of the rear) both of them sound similar, no resonance and not to loud/obnoctious. both mufflers are the same in design.
Posted By: 63stabamatic

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 10/27/11 02:04 PM

I'm running Dynomax on two cars. The first is a 2.5 inch TTI system from stock 440 manifolds and H pipe. It has the dreaded drone at 45MPH or around 2200 RPMS. I get by that speed quickly but should fix it. The second is a total TTI system on a 440, 2" headers into a 2.5 inch system H pipe. This one sounds great at all speeds and have lots of people commenting on how good it sounds. I also run the OTP electric cut-outs on this one, they're a blast! I terrorize the cheby neighbor all the time!
Posted By: Pntastar69

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 10/27/11 02:10 PM

I'm runnin the Pypes Street Pro's. No drone at all.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 10/27/11 04:34 PM

I have the Dynomax Ultraflo's and love the sound, no drone BUT the big reason to run them is performance; they are THE choice of the top running cars at Pure Stock for a reason - nothing flows any better. Flowmasters flow like crap. If the Magnaflow is a similar design, it probably flows good too.

Dave
Posted By: 383man

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 10/27/11 11:54 PM

I run a complete X pipe system out to the rear bumber using the 3" Ultra-Flows and I love it. Sounds great and I race thru the pipes. Ron

Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 10/28/11 12:19 AM

I ran TTI open step headers on my race car for a few years. Installed a 3" X-pipe and the Dynomax Ultraflos and actually picked up a little ET, especially after some carb tuning. The X-pipe probably helped the most, but I'm sure the mufflers didn't hurt at all. The only downside was having to take 60lbs out to bring the car weight back to the minimum race weight.

I've gotten many compliments at the track. But the engine doesn't stay in the midrange very long so I don't know if there would be any drone at any particular rpm.

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 10/28/11 12:55 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I am leaning toward the ultra flow after reading dpellerier's comment that they are the choice of top running cars at Pure Stock. Do you think I would pick up anything in et at the track by switching from the flow masters to the ultra flows? Having it I the loud side is ok with me.......I would just like to lose the resonance.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 10/28/11 03:46 AM

Quote:

Thanks for all the responses. I am leaning toward the ultra flow after reading dpellerier's comment that they are the choice of top running cars at Pure Stock. Do you think I would pick up anything in et at the track by switching from the flow masters to the ultra flows? Having it I the loud side is ok with me.......I would just like to lose the resonance.

I can tell you this. My sons Dart has Flow Masters on it and he picks up 2 tenths when he uncaps it ! I like the Ulta-Flows because when you look inside them you can see they are straight thru so they have to be a good performance muffler. I have never uncapped my 63 so I cant really tell you if the Ultra-Flows will pick up uncapped but if it does it cant be much. Like I said about my boys Dart picking up 2 tenths when uncapping the Flow Masters as when you look inside the Flow Masters you cant see straight thru like the Ultra-Flows. Ron

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 10/28/11 04:00 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the vote of confidence. There are several flow charts floating around the internet, but the upshot is that the Ultraflows flow just as well as straight pipe (99%), whereas the Flowmasters are amongst the worst. I don't remember the actual numbers, but they were around 60% or so depending on the size, etc. Before purchasing my system, I spoke to several of the Pure Stock legends including Bob Karakashian and Jim Spetzman and a couple others.....they all advised me to use the Ultraflows and told me most of the fast cars had them.

As far as you picking up ET, it is certainly possible though it depends on your current build. Another thing most people fail to consider is that the entire exhaust system needs to be looked at as whole. I firmly believe that my HP manifolds, 2 1/2" TTI and Ultraflow setup flows better than a cheapy set of headers with the stock 2 1/4" compression bent tubing and stock mufflers.

A member here with a '70 440-6 RR picked up something like 0.4 - 0.5 seconds doing a swap to the same setup I'm using. I forget his name here (maybe he'll chime in) but he has the ex-university test car.

Dave

On edit; his name is Paul IIRC? don't remember his Moparts handle.
Posted By: Ronnman

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 10/28/11 05:36 PM

The muffler comparision chart is on the thread below about 2/3s down:
Ron

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post6604983

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 10/28/11 05:43 PM

Yeah thanks, that's one of them. I like it 'cause it has db ratings included;

Dave

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 11/24/11 02:01 PM

I finally pulled the trigger on the Dynomax Ultraflows and got them installed last weekend. They sound much better than the 40 series Flowmasters I had on the car. It seems to have a deeper tone to it and when I open it up it sounds sweet! And that annoying resonance is gone too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QNcY7RnTdM
Posted By: DennisH

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 11/24/11 02:04 PM

Good choice. Dynomax.

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 11/24/11 05:20 PM

Here's one showing more than idling; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofma0go-jJk

Dave
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 11/25/11 06:19 AM

The Magnaflows are a lower priced knockoff of the Ultra Flows, but I think the Dynomax are better built. I've heard of quite a few people running the Magnaflows where the outer skin of the mufflers starts splitting & cracking, plus lots of people complain about the Magnaflows having a wicked drone in the 1800-2300 RPM range. Flowmasters are NOT what you want to run if you want a really free-flowing muffler.

Besides the mufflers I make, I do like the Stainless Ultra Flows. I'll be running a set of prototype stainless Super Turbos we built while I worked for Dynomax 11 years ago. These are reverse flow to go on my AAR. We flow tested an NOS muffler I have for the AAR-T/A & it tested at 175 sCFM. The ones we built for my AAR flow 375 sCFM. I can't wait to hear them!
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 11/25/11 09:32 AM

Quote:"A member here with a '70 440-6 RR picked up something like 0.4 - 0.5 seconds doing a swap to the same setup I'm using. I forget his name here (maybe he'll chime in) but he has the ex-university test car.

Dave

On edit; his name is Paul IIRC? don't remember his Moparts handle."

David Hakim: a white '70 RR from Michigan...
used to work with him at Mopar Performance parts division years ago.
Posted By: Dodgeguy101

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 11/25/11 04:00 PM

That chart is great, but what are the decibels of open headers? May give an idea with sound drop between open and the ultra flows. I live in a fairly close house neighborhood, and I haven't upset anyone yet, but I can see it coming with open headers. Ultra flows sound like the way to go.
Posted By: Lee446

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 11/25/11 04:05 PM

One thing to remember is that even a 2 point decible drop is significant, the scale is not linear on dB.

Re: Which Mufflers...Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow - 11/25/11 05:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:"A member here with a '70 440-6 RR picked up something like 0.4 - 0.5 seconds doing a swap to the same setup I'm using. I forget his name here (maybe he'll chime in) but he has the ex-university test car.

Dave

On edit; his name is Paul IIRC? don't remember his Moparts handle."

David Hakim: a white '70 RR from Michigan...
used to work with him at Mopar Performance parts division years ago.

Thanks! ....I believe Paul is another '70 V code owner and I musta got them mixed up.

I saw the test they did on the Michigan state car in a magazine somewhere.....

Dave
© 2024 Moparts Forums