Moparts

Water leaks from under a-body dash

Posted By: elmor

Water leaks from under a-body dash - 10/07/08 04:35 AM

74 a-body leaks really bad when it rains. I've used Schumacher's wiper seal kit with no results. Where is it coming from, and how do I correct it? My owner's manual floats in the glovebox, and I'm tired of wearing waders just to drive my car.
Posted By: pishta

Re: Water leaks from under a-body dash - 10/07/08 04:43 AM

I believe there are drain holes in the cowl that tend to plug up with leaves and fill with water than overflow into the cab.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Water leaks from under a-body dash - 10/07/08 04:47 AM

Cowl drains or rust holes in the windshield channel..
The picture isn't an A body but it's similar..

Attached picture 4734605-cowldrain2.jpg
Posted By: dfsmopars

Re: Water leaks from under a-body dash - 10/07/08 10:03 AM

My a-body leaked at both a-pillars. I replaced the windshield gasket and stopped the problem.
Posted By: 64Belvedere

Re: Water leaks from under a-body dash - 10/07/08 10:58 AM

Do you have windshield washer system that isn't installed? I used to have a leak on my B Body, and finally figured out that the water came in thru the holes for the (then) missing mounting screws on the cowl.
Posted By: elmor

Re: Water leaks from under a-body dash - 10/07/08 06:37 PM

This thing leaks so bad that I popped the plugs out of the floorpans, just to drain it out. We get a lot of rain in the winter here in Oregon, so I would like to seal it up. Where can I get new windshield gaskets? I just bought a 67 Valiant that has the same problem. Front floorpans have to be replaced, because they're GONE.
Posted By: Moonraker

Re: Water leaks from under a-body dash - 10/07/08 09:14 PM

Quote:

This thing leaks so bad that I popped the plugs out of the floorpans, just to drain it out. We get a lot of rain in the winter here in Oregon, so I would like to seal it up. Where can I get new windshield gaskets? I just bought a 67 Valiant that has the same problem. Front floorpans have to be replaced, because they're GONE.

All the resto places carry them(Year One, Paddock, etc) check the board vendors here first though for the best deals and customer service on restoration products.
Posted By: dlocreeb

Re: Water leaks from under a-body dash - 10/07/08 11:01 PM

usually the water gets in at the top corners and runs down. look from under your dash while someone runs a hose from the outside from bottom to top should locate leak easily. if its leaking that bad there could be a rust hole issue also. sometimes you can remove trim and use clear 100% silicone but you have to replace trim right away good luck
© 2024 Moparts Forums