Moparts

Steering coupler rebuild install

Posted By: plumcrazyb

Steering coupler rebuild install - 10/23/11 10:37 PM

Is it even possible to bend the tabs on the metal clip the holds the grease and rubber seal in with motor etc installed? I cannot get anything on it to bend the tabs, header tube also in the way.
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: Steering coupler rebuild install - 10/23/11 10:42 PM

i just tried this the other day with NO engine and a pair of large channel locks. no luck, i get one side then the other pops off
Posted By: 68_CONV_300

Re: Steering coupler rebuild install - 10/23/11 10:55 PM

I hate those caps ... never was able to get one to stay on for more than a week YMMV...

here is my suggestion

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003LVR6R0
Posted By: plumcrazyb

Re: Steering coupler rebuild install - 10/23/11 11:05 PM

I was hoping someone would post something like that. How hard to install?

If that little tab only functions to keep that seal and grease in can't one just fill the top with silicone or jb weld?
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Steering coupler rebuild install - 10/23/11 11:27 PM

Pre-bend them, just a little on each one & then start the back sides first. With a little practice you can roll them on every time & they will stay.
Posted By: Montclaire

Re: Steering coupler rebuild install - 10/24/11 03:49 PM

They are a pain. Someone sells a rubber boot that slips over the top of the coupler and replaces the metal lid. Add a zerk fitting low on the coupler body and you're set.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Steering coupler rebuild install - 10/24/11 07:53 PM

Posted By: coro500net

Re: Steering coupler rebuild install - 10/24/11 09:52 PM

Steer and Gear has the boot and it works way better than the factory setup.Little tough getting it over the pins,just fill coupler with grease and your done.
© 2024 Moparts Forums