Moparts

Vac advance tuning

Posted By: larrymopar360

Vac advance tuning - 10/22/11 09:21 PM

I have read a bunch of info on tuning vac advance.One day I am going to change the springs in my vac advance distributor, because it doesn't idle good right now with it connected. My questions is this; will disconnecting the vacuum advance on my MP elec ignition that is connected to my MP 360/300hp crate motor require that I change initial timing or idle setting? It seems like it would to me, but then I don't really know. Secondly, on my all stock '80 E58 Aspen, should it not even be connected at all? It has the same ignition, and I thought maybe this ignition with vac advance connected is more than this engine really needs.

One day I am going to be able to answer some questions instead of just asking them! Thanks. larry
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: Vac advance tuning - 10/22/11 10:38 PM

on the 360 - have you tried unplugging it and did it make a difference if you did? you say it's running bad - what does that mean? have you timed this yourself? on the stock Aspen - why do you want to unhook it? you keep referring to your electronic ign with both engines, i'm not sure what the relationship is? are you thinking because you have electronic ign you don't need your vac advance?
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: Vac advance tuning - 10/22/11 10:46 PM

read through these. may give you a better understanding of it..

Posted By: mcmopars

Re: Vac advance tuning - 10/23/11 12:30 AM

Quote:

I have read a bunch of info on tuning vac advance.One day I am going to change the springs in my vac advance distributor, because it doesn't idle good right now with it connected. My questions is this; will disconnecting the vacuum advance on my MP elec ignition that is connected to my MP 360/300hp crate motor require that I change initial timing or idle setting? It seems like it would to me, but then I don't really know. Secondly, on my all stock '80 E58 Aspen, should it not even be connected at all? It has the same ignition, and I thought maybe this ignition with vac advance connected is more than this engine really needs.

One day I am going to be able to answer some questions instead of just asking them! Thanks. larry

on the crate ,plug that up.set total @ 38,and let her rip

Re: Vac advance tuning - 10/23/11 03:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

on the crate ,plug that up.set total @ 38,and let her rip

The mechanic who installed the motor wanted to leave the vac advance disconnected, but I didn't. The idle is rough, so I know why he wanted to leave it off. I am going to disconnect it and check timing. Thanks.

Re: Vac advance tuning - 10/23/11 03:49 AM

Quote:

on the 360 - have you tried unplugging it and did it make a difference if you did? you say it's running bad - what does that mean? have you timed this yourself? on the stock Aspen - why do you want to unhook it? you keep referring to your electronic ign with both engines, i'm not sure what the relationship is? are you thinking because you have electronic ign you don't need your vac advance?

Both are 360's. Rough idle on crate motor. I have not timed it because the mechanic who installed it is way more knowledgable and experienced than I am. I mention the MP ignitions because I thought the advance curve may be too aggressive for one or both of these motors. I don't know what springs these MP ignitions come with and if they are too aggressive for either motor, especially the stock E58. The E58 runs and idles fine but I am always looking to optimize performance on anything. I just wondered if I needed to be prepared to change timing and idle or could I just unplug them and see how they run.I am not at all knowledgable in tuning.I do have a timing light but no vacuum gauge.

Thanks for the articles Joe, I will def read them! Larry
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Vac advance tuning - 11/06/11 10:30 AM

If it's hooked up to the right spot vacuum advance shouldn't do anything at idle. The springs don't have anything to do with vacuum advance, they are part of the mechanical advance of the distributor and doing their job whether vacuum is hooked up or not.
© 2024 Moparts Forums