Moparts

Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ???

Posted By: 62440

Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 02:17 AM

Recently I posted about having problems installing my distributor. Turned out the shaft wouldn't engage the oil pump. I pulled the pump and the dist. drive shaft and the shaft looks fine, but it will not go into the pump. I looked at everything with a 10x magnifying glass and it looks fine I had a new Melling's M-63HV pump sitting on the shelf and tried that and the dist. shaft fits fine Is there any reasons why a high volume pump shouldn't be used on a relatively stock 440
Posted By: fox

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 02:33 AM

I look at the time spent at high RPM vs the pan capacity.

Stock pan at a lot of running at 5,000rpm, be careful!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 02:39 AM

Quote:

Is there any reasons why a high volume pump shouldn't be used on a relatively stock 440

Drag, windage, sucking the pan dry.

You can always put a different spring or put the adjustable setup on a stock pump and have more than enough oiling for a mild 440. Heck, even the bone stock setup ain't bad!

http://store.440source.com/Adjustable-Oil-Pressure-Regulator/productinfo/200-1093/
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 02:40 AM

The slot wont engage into the pump???????????????
Yes--there are several reasons why an HV pump isn't a good idea on a stock build, but the distributor shaft/intermediate shaft/pump should all engage---unless the intermediate shaft is starting to twist...
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 02:43 AM

sucking the pan dry, lol.

Yet another chevyish
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 02:49 AM

If you are running tight bearing clearances, all a HV pump does is pump more oil through the pump relief valve. That additional oil flow has to go somewhere.
Posted By: JoesMopar

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 03:32 AM

Why does everyone want a HV oil pump?
Posted By: mosweethemi

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 03:41 AM

Hello Over 26 years of engine building I have aways put HV pumps on all engine ! not any trouble with any of them! On the street or on the track.I have them on my Hemi and our SixPack and they get run hard all of the time .Thanks

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 03:44 AM

Quote:

Hello Over 26 years of engine building I have aways put HV pumps on all engine ! not any trouble with any of them! On the street or on the track.I have them on my Hemi and our SixPack and they get run hard all of the time .Thanks

Really? You've used them with stock pans and never had any oil pressure issues under acceleration? Maybe with the 5 quart Hemi pan it isn't an issue
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 03:54 AM

in your case none. Take it apart & clean it & check its' clearances & run it. eats a slight bit of HP/slightly stressed the hex but that's a non issue. If you had EXTENSIVE oiling mods starting with 1/8" under the pickup to all the way thru the system/loose clearances/high rpm then you'd wanna purchase a hi vol/hi psi or add a high psi spring or shim the regular spring in a hi vol pump & if not a regular sealed power pump is cheap/adwquate but you have the hi vol in hand so I'd say go ahead & finish & get the pan buttoned up & you'll be ready to move on to the next issue. EDIT I feel that a pan cannot get sucked dry and reports of that (low psi/fried journals} are due to especially inadequate pickup/pan clearance/lack of oiling passage mods/inadequate journal clearances
Posted By: mosweethemi

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 04:03 AM

Hey Back in the day I never had money to buy the deep pans.All of the 440s and the 383 had stock pans. Just in the last few years I have put some deep pans on by owners request.We even had some two mile runs on the interstate with them chevys and fords and the oil pans never ran dry . I have always ran Melling pumps(M63HV) on Big Blocks and clevite 77 full groove Bearings.

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 04:05 AM

I guess if you're using stock heads the oil would drain back easier with the huge openings in the heads. The aftermarket Stealth and Edelbrock heads don't have that, so it's easy to suck the pan dry when running it hard with an HV oil pump.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 04:51 AM

Got a 73 Duster 340..HV pump..stock oil pan...Eddy heads...been driving it for 6 yrs...been down the drag strip about 20 times...

never sucked the pan dry....

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 05:00 AM

I have a Moroso 7 quart deep pan, so running out of oil won't be a problem. The high volume pump that I had on the shelf is a Mellings M-63HV It's body/impeller is 1/4" taller than a stock pump. I suppose the HV pump will rob a bit of power, but I was wondering if it would cause any other problem
Posted By: 69L78Nova

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 05:17 AM

I have always run an HV pump on everything, SB and BB, all with stock pans. Even ran one on a 360 that turned 7500rpm with a stock pan, and ran 10.60s. Never a problem with sucking the pan dry
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 10:50 AM

Quote:

I guess if you're using stock heads the oil would drain back easier with the huge openings in the heads. The aftermarket Stealth and Edelbrock heads don't have that, so it's easy to suck the pan dry when running it hard with an HV oil pump.

Once you are at the pressure of the relief spring, the high volume pump does not put any more oil to the motor. It just recirculates more oil from the pump relief valve back to the pan.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 01:43 PM

With the HV pump an improved oil pump driveshaft is recommended for the higher load. The hex is hardened, the taper to the hex is radiused and the gear is pinned. Though nor common, the HV pump can fail the standard shaft.

As long as you have the correct shaft the only drawback is you loose one or two HP. I use one on a B engine with full groove bearings and performance clearances. It helps keep the hot oil pressure at idle reasonable with that setup.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 02:40 PM

Here is another user of HV pumps for many years, street, strip, stock or deep pans and never had a problem with pans being sucked out of oil. If it happens there is more than likely other problems not allowing proper oil drain back.
Posted By: 440forPOWER

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 02:42 PM

Is it safe to run a bronze distributor drive with a HV pump? This will be a full groove main, roller cam setup. Thanks
Posted By: joelson6

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 02:58 PM

i've always used a high volume oil pump on my 440s. i also use the Milodon 7qt low profile oil pan. never had any issues. to take it one step further. i had the pickup tube hole drilled and tapped for the 1/2" hemi pickup tube. there is always plenty of oil getting to where it needs to be

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 03:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Once you are at the pressure of the relief spring, the high volume pump does not put any more oil to the motor. It just recirculates more oil from the pump relief valve back to the pan.

Well this is all news to me, after sucking the pan dry everytime I would accelerate enthusiastically with my stock 383/Stealth Head/HV oil pump. My gauge would read ~75psi (mechanical) and drop/flutter/etc when I got on it due to lack of available oil (oil was full). Also noticed that the oil would stay hung up in the heads because there was so much of it. Ended up pulling the valve covers, no blockage, swapped to a standard oil pump and haven't had a single problem since. Alot of the theories behind the HV oil pump sound good, but reality is a different story. And for a stock build, or any build where the passages aren't opened up, there is no point that I can see in using an HV oil pump. Look at what everyone says about the pressure relief spring "recirculating the oil"....that means it's not getting used efficiently....so why have it?
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 03:17 PM

If you have ever used a factory oil cooler, such as the one I added to my Diplomat, it's essentially an internal leak. It taps off the port where the sending unit goes, feeds thru the cooler and dumps back into the crankcase thru a rifle drilled fuel pump bolt. My oil pressure never hit the relief spring rating, I added a good oil pressure gauge, too. The HV pump had no problems keeping everything lubed. Used the stock drive too and never had an issue, till it sucked up a bit of cast iron and locked the pump up, my fault there I modified the screen to "open it up" and it sure did open up.

As for fitting an HV pump on a smallblock, I usually test fit the pump and pan without gaskets, use a torch to spot heat the pan and a hammer to clearance it, then the gasket will space the pan up enough so that there is no rubbing. works for me.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 03:24 PM

Quote:

Is it safe to run a bronze distributor drive with a HV pump? This will be a full groove main, roller cam setup. Thanks

You could use 1/2 groove mains. I had the Mopar Performance Bronze drive in my old 451 Stroker with a HV pump and Ultradyne solid roller cam for over 10,000 miles and it looked fine when I pulled the engine apart.
Never had a problem with the HV pumps. The main think I have noticed is the HV pump makes alot more pressure at idle and low RPM compared to a stock pump.
If a stock pump and HV pump had the same maximum pressure at high RPM they should be flowing the same amount of oil through the engine, so "sucking the pan dry" is about as likely as with a stock pump.
The HV pump does take a bit more power to spin, but it's not a issue unless doing some dyno shootout stuff.
The HV pump is deeper so you would need longer oil pump bolts.

The oil pump shaft should fit both style pumps the same. Make sure the oil pump shaft tip is not broken off and the bushing is seated all the way down.

One last note: Make sure to have the "O" ring on the pump body where it fits inside the block because that is on the suction side of the pump gasket.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 03:41 PM

Quote:

For the same reason they want 440 heads on their 383's

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 03:42 PM

Quote:

Are you running 4qt sump pans on those engines ?

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 03:46 PM

Quote:

I have a Moroso 7 quart deep pan, so running out of oil won't be a problem. The high volume pump that I had on the shelf is a Mellings M-63HV It's body/impeller is 1/4" taller than a stock pump. I suppose the HV pump will rob a bit of power, but I was wondering if it would cause any other problem

With a 7qt sump pan you'll be fine , run it BUT open the pump up and make sure it is ok inside , clean , the o ring that seals the cover tot he pump body is ok and doesn't look like it was machined wit ha ROCK . The last melling pump I bought , hi pressure not high volume , leaked between the cover and the body , the o ring was nicked and the cover had a lot of scratches. A half hour or so of lapping it on a surface plate by hand took care of the scratches, a new o-ring and no more leaks .
Posted By: d-150

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 03:52 PM

i read an article that the hv pumps only pump more oil under 2500rpm.i think it was a mopar muscle article.
Posted By: 440forPOWER

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 04:00 PM

I was planning on using the HV pump on my 470 street combo. The hydraulic roller has an oiling groove in a few of the cam journals and I have full groove bearings. I also bought an adjustable valve so I can adjust the pressure to what is needed for my combo. (Around 65 psi) Hopefully putting less stress on the bronze drive. Right now I have a 6qt pan but I'm thinking about going to a 7 qt. This motor will only see 6200 rpm. Does this sound ok?
Posted By: dodgeboy11

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 05:05 PM

The HV pump moves more oil with every turn regardless of rpm. It has to, the rotors are taller. And don't let anyone tell you it recirculates whatever oil isn't going into the oil passages back to the pan. It doesn't. It simply sends the oil not needed back to the suction side of the pump to be recirculated through the pump again.
If you're running bearing clearances at the upper end of the clearance spectrum (.0028-.0032 mains- .0022-.0026 rods) then I think a HV pump is a good idea. I also think a larger capacity pan is a good idea. All this talk of sucking the pan dry. If that's the case, you need a larger pan. People tend to look at the results and not the cause. If the pump can move that much oil, then it's doing its job, if the pan can't supply enough.... Get a larger pan.

Better yet, start with the larger pan and don't worry about it at all. Oil does more than lubricate, it also cools. The more of it you have, the better it is for the engine.

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 05:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 06:24 PM

I would actually love to see a back to back dyno run to see if a hv pump costs hp over a stock pump as some claim. I'd be really interested in seeing the real-world difference on a 440 with stock type bearings.

I ran 440source heads with a hv pump and never had a problem with oil drainback or oil pressure, however I did have a 7 quart pan, which IMO is a good idea on any engine that will see some rpm. Extra oil capacity is never a bad thing, aside from the pan clearance issues anyway!

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 06:34 PM

Quote:

i read an article that the hv pumps only pump more oil under 2500rpm.i think it was a mopar muscle article.

Technically thats impossible, as oil pumps are "positive displacment" pumps in that they move a specific amount of oil per revolution. HV pumps are taller to accomplish this additional displacement.
The motor itself might not RECIEVE that additional oil due to the relief valve coming into play above a certain RPM however.

I had a 440 with an HV pump, loose bearing clearances, 4 quart unbaffeled pan that would EASILY suck it self dry (ever wish you could do that?).
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 06:39 PM

Pac on yours that emptied the pan. what symptoms was it showing? low PSI? bearing probs?

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 10:13 PM

Quote:

With the HV pump an improved oil pump driveshaft is recommended for the higher load. The hex is hardened, the taper to the hex is radiused and the gear is pinned. Though nor common, the HV pump can fail the standard shaft.

As long as you have the correct shaft the only drawback is you loose one or two HP. I use one on a B engine with full groove bearings and performance clearances. It helps keep the hot oil pressure at idle reasonable with that setup.

I think the stock distributor shaft would be the main problem with the HV pump. Where would be the cheapest place to pick one up ? I just can't figure why the stock shaft won't fit into the stock pump. It fits fine in the HV pump. Everything Looks good. Nothing seems to be nicked or galled. just Very Very tight. Would a light clearance job inside with a small fine file make any sense
Posted By: ahy

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 10:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think the stock distributor shaft would be the main problem with the HV pump. Where would be the cheapest place to pick one up ? I just can't figure why the stock shaft won't fit into the stock pump. It fits fine in the HV pump. Everything Looks good. Nothing seems to be nicked or galled. just Very Very tight. Would a light clearance job inside with a small fine file make any sense

Mancini will have both types of shaft. 440 source also. An auto parts store may be able to order the standard type as well.

Can you do a close inspection of the stock pump? Is there a burr or poorly machined area? I would feel comfortable removing a localized problem with a file or such but wouldn't want to file the whole hex area.

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 10:43 PM

Quote:

Pac on yours that emptied the pan. what symptoms was it showing? low PSI? bearing probs?

From a dead stop if I accelerated hard I could watch the autometer oil pressure gauge start to rise and then rapidly return to zero as I acceleration from maybe 10 to 20 mph! Not something you want to see.
Happened many times and was much easier to do if I was on an incline of course.
No windage tray either.
I got by with running 20-50 oil and ALWAYS having a quart over (maybe even a little more) in the pan.
Eventually I replaced the rod bearings, installed a baffled pan and a tray. STILL had to overfill the pan by a quart though.

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/22/11 11:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Can you do a close inspection of the stock pump? Is there a burr or poorly machined area? I would feel comfortable removing a localized problem with a file or such but wouldn't want to file the whole hex area.

I think I'll try to smooth the inside a bit. The shaft seems to only ride on every other surface. If I can't get the shaft to fit the stock pump, I will most likely use the HV pump for the time being and try and pick up a hardened shaft sometime.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/23/11 12:46 AM

Quote:

It simply sends the oil not needed back to the suction side of the pump to be recirculated through the pump again.

Correct. The effect is that it does not remove any more oil out of the pan. Chances are if the internal clearances are loose enough to suck the pan dry with a HV pump, it will also suck dry with a standard rotor pump and the same relief spring. I've never had a problem maintaining pressure with a std rotor in a loose motor at speed. Idle is another story.

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/23/11 12:56 AM

I was just looking at 440Source for the distributor driveshaft and found something Disturbing. They are selling in Their own words "Heavy Duty pinned Intermediate shaft - Steel gear (needs slight grinding of hex flats to fit pump) $25" "Needs Slight Grinding of the Hex Flats to fit the Pump" That doesn't sound right to me !!! Wouldn't the shaft be case hardened and would not grinding ruin the hardening ???

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/23/11 01:17 AM

Check out where is imported from. You may have your answer.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/23/11 07:39 AM

The nice thing about the aftermarket and "Hemi" oil pans (besides holding more oil) is they have baffles to reduce the oil sloshing around which can uncover the oil pickup.
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/23/11 02:09 PM

Ran alots of HV pumps since the mid 70's. Never a problem.

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/23/11 03:36 PM

Quote:

I was just looking at 440Source for the distributor driveshaft and found something Disturbing. They are selling in Their own words "Heavy Duty pinned Intermediate shaft - Steel gear (needs slight grinding of hex flats to fit pump) $25" "Needs Slight Grinding of the Hex Flats to fit the Pump" That doesn't sound right to me !!! Wouldn't the shaft be case hardened and would not grinding ruin the hardening ???

another QUALITY PRODUCT brought to you by .... ...

If you are going to run the HV pump it would be a good idea to install an HD drive, and one you don't have to grind to fit ....

that's too funny , you can't make s.... like that up ...
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/23/11 03:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Same deal with 1.6 and 1.7 rocker arms!

IMO I have discovered like many other builders that a HV oil pump isn't needed in most cases, especially if all your clearances are within tolerance.

HV pumps take a HD drive like has been mentioned and takes extra horsepower to turn it.
Those who say they have never ran out of oil with one and a stock 4-5 QT pan has never run there car for a extended periods of hi RPM to know.
My

My current 340 with a 7 qt pan has a used standard oil pump in it. I ran it hard and long at 4500-5000 rpm for over 5 miles at time on the salt flats. It held up and the gauge held steady oil pressure the whole time. With a used standard oil pump when I put it togeather in 2007.
Posted By: NTOLERANCE

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/23/11 03:59 PM

Quote:

Or what if too much is "ground"??

Ever grind on an allen wrench to get it to fit a worn out, stuck in socket head bolt? Yeah hardly ever works. Take out too much and you lose the shaft and the pump.

440 source has plenty of machining capabilities now, why not fix it?

Must be "metric sized"

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/23/11 04:29 PM

Some good points made. My use of them has been on daily street driven cars with mild motor mods, cams, headers ect. Not cars that see the upper RPM's all time time. My reasons for using them was for more low rpm,s such as idling for 15 min in a drive through. Not WOT all the time. Sure they see a few burnouts and WOT for a few sec on the highway but not for a living.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/23/11 06:16 PM

Not much PSI is needed at low RPMs and especially not at idle where there is no load on the engine.

I would tend to think that extra PSI would increase bearing wear.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/23/11 07:51 PM

Quote:

Never heard that before, care to explain?

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/23/11 09:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/23/11 09:23 PM

Quote:

Those who say they have never ran out of oil with one and a stock 4-5 QT pan has never run there car for a extended periods of hi RPM to know.
My

I'll have to be the one I guess.
I've had tons of vehicles with HV pumps. No deep pans.

10W30 oil, windage tray and a quart over full. Did it for 30 years, ain't gonna change now either.

My Jensen is a stock pan, windage tray and runs a quart over full of 10W30. I beat it senseless all the time.
My Charger is a stock depth pan, windage tray and a quart over full of 10W30 weight.

Running 20w50, no windage tray and stock oil level isn't MY idea of "an ounce of prevention"....

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/23/11 09:58 PM

Quote:

Not much PSI is needed at low RPMs and especially not at idle where there is no load on the engine.

Long idle can starv the cam and valve train so I've heard. Isn't that why cam break in requires 1500 rpm?

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/24/11 12:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

My

I'll have to be the one I guess.
I've had tons of vehicles with HV pumps. No deep pans.

10W30 oil, windage tray and a quart over full. Did it for 30 years, ain't gonna change now either.

My Jensen is a stock pan, windage tray and runs a quart over full of 10W30. I beat it senseless all the time.
My Charger is a stock depth pan, windage tray and a quart over full of 10W30 weight.

Running 20w50, no windage tray and stock oil level isn't MY idea of "an ounce of prevention"....

In fact when the windage trays were made available service reps advised running an extra quart. I seem to remember that it was also in a FSM but wouldn't swear to that. Not to prevent the pan from being pumped dry but to prevent oil from being pulled away during launch or hard braking.
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/24/11 03:42 AM

Quote:

Not to prevent the pan from being pumped dry but to prevent oil from being pulled away during launch or hard braking.

My 383 Valiant 4-speed with stock pan and pump would lose oil pressure momentarily (idiot light would come on) whenever I launched at 3000 rpm or higher... A deep pan and windage tray fixed that

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/24/11 03:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just thinking about more pressure and how that might erode the bearings over time. Just a thought.

Re: Any reasons why not to use a HV Oil Pump ??? - 10/24/11 03:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Long idle can starv the cam and valve train so I've heard. Isn't that why cam break in requires 1500 rpm?

Cams get splash oiled, not pressure. Valves, you may have something, but who is idling their engine that long on a regular basis? In a hobby car I'd guess not near as much as your DD.
© 2024 Moparts Forums