Moparts

Anyone use SEAFOAM?

Posted By: MidPenMopar

Anyone use SEAFOAM? - 10/16/11 11:07 PM

I just tried a can of Seaform in my 69 roadrunner and 2003 Hemi Ram truck. I put a can in the oil and fuel tanks. So far i have not noticed anything much different though.

Now I was mentioning this to a buddy who uses it and he said i need to change the oil right after putting it in as it's just a cleaner. The can's instructions say nothing about not leaving it in untill the next change which for me would be next year.

Any opinions on this??

Thanks
Stu
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Anyone use SEAFOAM? - 10/16/11 11:52 PM

I've used seafoam as a combustion chamber cleaner, IE pour it down the carb while the engine's running to clean out the carbon deposits. I've also used it in the fuel tank of my boat. I'm not a firm believer in putting anything special in the oil, because a well maintained engine with regular oil changes will stay very clean inside. My stock unopened 76 440 was super clean inside when I cracked it open for the first time.

The seafoam is a cleaner, however I don't think one small bottle of seafoam in the oil will hurt anything if run in there long-term.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Anyone use SEAFOAM? - 10/16/11 11:56 PM

I make my own Seafoam----50% Naptha and 50% Marvel Mystery oil. Seriously! Google it and you will find that its actually VERY close to whats in Seafoam.

Re: Anyone use SEAFOAM? - 10/17/11 12:10 AM

Quote:

I make my own Seafoam----50% Naptha and 50% Marvel Mystery oil. Seriously! Google it and you will find that its actually VERY close to whats in Seafoam.

I kinda had a feeling it was pretty much Marvel Mystery oil just not as thick.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Anyone use SEAFOAM? - 10/17/11 12:40 AM

I use it as a gasoline stabilizer. Had much better luck than with Sta-Bil.
Posted By: Pool Fixer

Re: Anyone use SEAFOAM? - 10/17/11 12:48 AM

Quote:

I just tried a can of Seaform in my 69 roadrunner and 2003 Hemi Ram truck. I put a can in the oil and fuel tanks. So far i have not noticed anything much different though.

Now I was mentioning this to a buddy who uses it and he said i need to change the oil right after putting it in as it's just a cleaner. The can's instructions say nothing about not leaving it in untill the next change which for me would be next year.

Any opinions on this??

Thanks
Stu

I've also used it as a combustion chamber cleaner. I got the idea from a tahoe z71 forum I go to sometimes. A lot of guys over there saying to change oil after a few hundred miles if you add it to the oil. I would just to be safe.

Walmart sells it by me so its real cheap too.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Anyone use SEAFOAM? - 10/17/11 02:41 AM

I think it'd be good dribbled into the carb at a fast idle then drowning the eng with the last ounce of it then letting it sit overnight then taking it out for a blast (plugs may need cleaned to start it) to clean the combustion chamber . Into the gas itself I think it's snake oil and in the crankcase I wouldn't want to dilute my oil with it
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Anyone use SEAFOAM? - 10/17/11 03:22 AM

Quote:

What was wrong with your car?

What were you trying to fix with the seafoam?
Posted By: eightlitermopar

Re: Anyone use SEAFOAM? - 10/17/11 03:34 AM

It helps pass emissions, which is why I use it (Well, before I changed ignition and cleaned up the emissions)

Also down the carb to clean out the carbon deposits.

eight
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Anyone use SEAFOAM? - 10/17/11 04:04 AM

The most frequently asked question about using Sea FoamŪ is as follows: “After using Sea FoamŪ in my oil, fuel, or through the vacuum line (to clean carbon from the combustion chamber) do I need to change my oil?” The short answer is: No you don’t have to change your oil after using Sea FoamŪ in any application.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/gasoline-engine-faqs.html

Re: Anyone use SEAFOAM? - 10/17/11 04:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What was wrong with your car?

What were you trying to fix with the seafoam?

The engine had a slight lifter tick upon start up when sitting unstarted for more than a month so i was hoping the Seafoam would help. So far no more lifter noise but it has not been that long since it sat.

One thing i did notice the oil presssue comes up way faster than before i added it if that means anything other than the oil is more diluted.
Posted By: GTXX

Re: Anyone use SEAFOAM? - 10/17/11 04:39 AM

it's a very strong solvent, smells like full strength alcohol. IMO it's most likely hurting lubrication and would be about like pouring a pint of lacquer thinner in your oil. I would change it......
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Anyone use SEAFOAM? - 10/17/11 04:46 AM

Sorry Stu, but Seafoam has an interesting ring to it; like Snake Oil.

Posted By: hooziewhatsit

Re: Anyone use SEAFOAM? - 10/17/11 06:23 AM

I've used it for a few hundred miles before doing a regular oil change. Also used it in the gas tank as a fuel system cleaner.

It works awesome with small engines. Really cleans out deposits in the carbs and helps them run better, assuming there aren't other issues with the engine.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Anyone use SEAFOAM? - 10/17/11 12:35 PM

I just dumped a can of it in my 74 gas tank last night right before I parked it at my MIL garage. It might be the last time I drive it this year? Hope not but I can't be sure with Cincy weather. I think last year I used stabil?
This past month I rebuilt my 25 year old eddie carb, it didn't even need it. My car sat with race gas in it for 16 years, so I know race gas is a good storage fuel.
But since I'm driving it a lot nowadays and race gas has gone up in price I rarely use race gas anymore except for my small engines.

BTW I get my prem gas from work and it has no ethanol in it. If I had to use ethanol gas I would store my car with race gas. No way I would store it with ethanol gas.

I have never put anything in my oil.

Re: Anyone use SEAFOAM? - 10/17/11 01:09 PM

Seems there are varing ideas as to the legitimacy of Seaform and it's powers. Guess it's like most things that promise amazing claims..... individual results may vary!

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Anyone use SEAFOAM? - 10/17/11 02:07 PM

Ingesting it through the brake booster on my /6 Duster helped out very much. It actually stopped smoking (assumed to be a valve seal at the time, was sitting for 17 years or something).

I need to run some through the intake of my Wrangler and my Wife's Caliber. It does help clean carbon out.
Posted By: Commando1

Re: Anyone use SEAFOAM? - 10/17/11 02:57 PM

Quote:

Where can one find naptha?
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: Anyone use SEAFOAM? - 10/17/11 03:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You should find Naptha with the rest of the solvents in a Home Depot or Lowes.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Anyone use SEAFOAM? - 10/17/11 03:20 PM

Quote:

I think it'd be good dribbled into the carb at a fast idle then drowning the eng with the last ounce of it then letting it sit overnight then taking it out for a blast (plugs may need cleaned to start it) to clean the combustion chamber . Into the gas itself I think it's snake oil and in the crankcase I wouldn't want to dilute my oil with it

Do the same thing with the same results with a soup can of diesel fuel. It doesn't have a catchy mane though like 'Seafoam'
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Anyone use SEAFOAM? - 10/17/11 03:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Do the same thing with the same results with a soup can of diesel fuel. It doesn't have a catchy mane though like 'Seafoam'

I totally agree. I'd only use the Seafoam for this if I was offered a can of it for free & it's the only practical app for it imo. EDIT there used to be a commercial where they ran a can of something directly to the carb fuel inlet suspended like a bag of plasma and I think that'd be an excellent use for a powerful solvent to clean the carb passages and that'd be the only time I'd spend the money on Seafoam
Posted By: 68FuryIIIColo

Re: Anyone use SEAFOAM? - 10/17/11 04:03 PM

The Mopar combustion chamber cleaner PN 04318001AB is far better than Seafoam. I have used both and the Mopar just works very well. It's about $7 a can from your dealer. I use it sucked into the carburetor or throttle body through a vacuum port and directly into the plug holes, after which you should change the oil. There are directions for both methods.
I have never dumped Seafoam into my oil though. I know back a few years ago they used to have a motor flush for slugged up motors and it was basically kerosene. You had to change the oil after running it through a couple full heat up and cool down cycles and it did pull some dirt and sludge out of the motor but thinning the oil like that just does not seem like a good thing but some times it is needed.
Posted By: 73rrak

Re: Anyone use SEAFOAM? - 10/17/11 04:18 PM

I'm a Seafoam fan.... I put in my cars to keep the fuel fresh because they hardly get driven but when I drive them they get driven "hardly" . The car I'm building now sat in a field for 15 years and must have had a full tank of fuel. The fuel turned into something that resembled tar. The tank was trash but I wanted to save the fuel lines that were also filled with the tar stuff. I tried to blow it out with compressed air but it wouldn't move. I capped off the low end of the fuel line and filled it with seafoam. The next day the tar ran out like water. So it does a good job of cleaning. I put it in the vehicles I drive all the time about every 5,000 miles to clean the fuel system and so far so good. Just my opinion.
Posted By: Commando1

Re: Anyone use SEAFOAM? - 10/17/11 04:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You should find Naptha with the rest of the solvents in a Home Depot or Lowes.

Why not just a qt. of acetone in the tank.
What we always used to do...
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Anyone use SEAFOAM? - 10/17/11 04:28 PM

As for mixing into the oil - get good results cleaning the internal engine with a quart of atf in the oil for the last 5o miles before a oil change. ATF is high in detergency. Also works on dirty hands as well as gojo.
Posted By: b54406barrel

Re: Anyone use SEAFOAM? - 10/17/11 05:10 PM

I've used it for fuel stabilizer/moisture for many years, started with boats. For carbon, I just use water down the carb & for gummed up engines I use kerosene but, do not drive it/leave it in.
© 2024 Moparts Forums