Moparts

Six Pack Rocker Arms

Posted By: 440child

Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/15/11 04:25 AM

What's up, all. What I want to know is, who still sells them? TIA for any help.
Posted By: moparsquid

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/15/11 04:39 AM

crane or mopar performance.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/15/11 05:02 AM

340 6 pac rockers?

only new ones are Harland Sharp...

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/15/11 05:08 AM

Quote:

340 6 pac rockers?

only new ones are Harland Sharp...

Sorry, I forgot to say I want them for a 440.

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/15/11 05:13 AM

never knew that the 440 6 pac used anything but stock rockers from the factory....

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/15/11 05:41 AM

Quote:

never knew that the 440 6 pac used anything but stock rockers from the factory....

I don't know, I just remember that Hughes Engines used to sell a heavy duty version of the stock rockers and they were listed as six pack rockers, IIRC. What I'm really looking for is a rocker arm that'll handle around a .550 lift cam & still fit under a stock valve cover.

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/15/11 05:49 AM

http://www.monicattichrysler.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=884

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/15/11 06:12 AM

Quote:

http://www.monicattichrysler.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=884

Thanks!
Posted By: ahy

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/15/11 12:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't know, I just remember that Hughes Engines used to sell a heavy duty version of the stock rockers and they were listed as six pack rockers, IIRC. What I'm really looking for is a rocker arm that'll handle around a .550 lift cam & still fit under a stock valve cover.

Sometime in the late 60's the stamped rocker got re-inforced at the tip to make the "6 pack" rocker.

Since then Chrysler and the aftermarket standarized on the heavy duty design. Any new replacement stamped rocker should be the "6 pack" design.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/15/11 04:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sometime in the late 60's the stamped rocker got re-inforced at the tip to make the "6 pack" rocker.

Since then Chrysler and the aftermarket standarized on the heavy duty design. Any new replacement stamped rocker should be the "6 pack" design.

I bought a set of the MP rockers ,though I didn't compare them to a stock rocker, I don't think they looked any different than the rockers I took out of a 73 440 I disassembled. Maybe someone could weigh a stock run of the mill rocker and one of these to see the difference ?

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/15/11 06:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I bought a set of the MP rockers ,though I didn't compare them to a stock rocker, I don't think they looked any different than the rockers I took out of a 73 440 I disassembled. Maybe someone could weigh a stock run of the mill rocker and one of these to see the difference ?

That would be nice if someone just happenned to have them to compare. Not to change the thread, but I plan to use these w/ a hydraulic roller in the .550ish range. Does anyone see a problem with this? Thanks for all the replies so far.

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/15/11 07:38 PM

That's a lot of lift for stock rockers , I wouldn't do it after seeing them first hand, they have a ton of side clearance as delivered , the set I used was anywhere from .015 to .050 ... yes .050 ... incredibly noisy to me ...
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/15/11 08:47 PM

Since your buying a good cam and lifters why not buy a decent set of adjustable rocker arms so you can get the best performance out of your cam Any time you replace the stock cam with one with more lift you change the distant from the end of the stock rocker arm to the cup in the lifter, which makes the stock stuff not fit properly anymore Buy the good stuff, rockers, and pushrods
Posted By: imfixinmopars426

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/15/11 09:12 PM

i though i remember e-berg of a mopar mag in tech section,doing a measurement of new hd vs mid 70's rockers in the pushrod area,and others,and they were all the same?
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/15/11 09:21 PM

To get a roller cam to work with stock rockers, you're going to need custom length pushrods. Why not go with adjustable rockers while you're at it? If you were just going to run a hydraulic flat tappet cam, then I would have suggested to just run the stock type rockers.

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/16/11 01:04 AM

The spring load required for .55 lift will likely push a pushrod through the stamped rocker. Over about .5 lift, the OE stamped get real risky. You need a better rocker.
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/16/11 02:16 AM

Quote:

The spring load required for .55 lift will likely push a pushrod through the stamped rocker. Over about .5 lift, the OE stamped get real risky. You need a better rocker.

you need adjustable rockers or a can with less lift and duration.

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/16/11 02:18 AM

You guys are right on the reliability issues, it was kinda wishful thinking on my part. I wanted to run the A&A Transmissions' 440 crossram setup, but they said it would only work w/ stock valve covers. The stock-type rockers were the only ones that I knew of that would work. Anybody know of any other rocker that work in this case? Again, thanks to all for y'alls input.
Posted By: VT_Dart

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/16/11 02:31 AM

Quote:

You guys are right on the reliability issues, it was kinda wishful thinking on my part. I wanted to run the A&A Transmissions' 440 crossram setup, but they said it would only work w/ stock valve covers. The stock-type rockers were the only ones that I knew of that would work. Anybody know of any other rocker that work in this case? Aain, thanks to all for y'alls input.

I ran 440 Source rockers under a stock cover so I imagine most of the aluminum rollers would work. I did have to modify them, but it was easy. I cut the baffles out of the cover, moved the baffles up as tight as I could then tacked them back into place. Gave me enough clearance to easily run them without issues.

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/16/11 03:34 AM

A set of crane ductiles would work with only minimal clearancing for the rockers needed .

What heads are you going to run ?

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/16/11 04:12 AM

A set of Comp Pro Magnum rockers would work well in your application.

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/16/11 04:22 AM

Quote:

A set of crane ductiles would work with only minimal clearancing for the rockers needed .

Probably some 452's. Where did you have to clearance those
rockers?
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/16/11 02:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

rockers?

This works well and you don't have to move the baffels.

Attached picture 6873677-P9260410_01.JPG

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/16/11 02:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

rockers?

That's all the needs to be done, nothing needs to be done to the rockers just drill he baffles to clear the adjusters.
Posted By: GTXX

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/16/11 02:37 PM

Quote:

saw it happen with a 292/509, replaced with Crane irons and never a problem after that.

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/17/11 12:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

rockers?

That's the ticket! I always wondered what was the interference point between the rocker & the v/c.

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/17/11 02:40 PM

Anyone have a picture of the inside of an original max wedge valve cover considering they run a rocker that is very similar to the crane/isky ductiles ?

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/17/11 06:04 PM

Quote:

Anyone have a picture of the inside of an original max wedge valve cover considering they run a rocker that is very similar to the crane/isky ductiles ?

That's a great idea concerning the Max Wedge valve covers. I googled it and found that Mancini Racing sells the reproductions and the sales rep. said they would fit a 440. They don't have pictures on the website so that would really help.

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/17/11 09:14 PM

Quote:

Don't really want to take one back off,two weeks ago I could have helped.If I remember correctly there is about 1/4" difference in the height of the baffles.Also,the original Max Wedge rockers were not a true 1.5 ratio,more like 1.4,don't know if that would have any bearing on clearance.

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/18/11 02:44 PM

Thank you guys for all the help!!
Posted By: 70Sbird

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/18/11 04:30 PM

just one more note on the MP stamped rockers, I bought a set this year, MP#P4529743 for my 440 stroker, power on the dyno was low so we measured true valve lift, The rockers were actually closer to a 1.3:1 ratio, making what should have been a warm street cam act like a grain truck/RV cam, just something to be aware of and check!

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/18/11 05:15 PM

Quote:

just one more note on the MP stamped rockers, I bought a set this year, MP#P4529743 for my 440 stroker, power on the dyno was low so we measured true valve lift, The rockers were actually closer to a 1.3:1 ratio, making what should have been a warm street cam act like a grain truck/RV cam, just something to be aware of and check!

YIKES ... but then again yet another QUALITY part from MP ...
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/18/11 05:19 PM

no such thing as a six-pack rocker arm. You speaking of the heavy duty units? I'd think any speed shop or online store can get you what you want.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/18/11 05:31 PM

I have crane adjustable roller rockers under my stock '70 stamped valve covers....

Dave

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/18/11 06:04 PM

Quote:

no such thing as a six-pack rocker arm.

The rocker arms used on the 69 440 six pack were HD units and referred to ... I think ... as 6 pak rocker arms ...

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/18/11 06:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

no such thing as a six-pack rocker arm.

The rocker arms used on the 69 440 six pack were HD units and referred to ... I think ... as 6 pak rocker arms ...

You don't have to think John!

Attached picture 6877262-PA180411.JPG

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/18/11 07:00 PM

Quote:

I have crane adjustable roller rockers under my stock '70 stamped valve covers....

Dave

Dave,I have Isky rockers and I had to modify the baffles for clearance as shown above,not for the adjuster but the other end.Guess it depends on the rocker design.

Attached picture 6877276-PB300090.JPG
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/18/11 09:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Dave

Dave,I have Isky rockers and I had to modify the baffles for clearance as shown above,not for the adjuster but the other end.Guess it depends on the rocker design.

Hmmm; yeah, must be. I think mine are Crage 64750's, but my invoice is in my shop at home

Dave

Re: Six Pack Rocker Arms - 10/19/11 12:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Dave

I would have thought that clearance was for the adjuster , I learn something new from you Bill all the time ...
© 2024 Moparts Forums