Moparts

64 pushbutton trans need help!

Posted By: sixpacksteve

64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/14/11 11:11 AM

i have a 64 belvedere 440 w/pushbutton trans. Can this be switched to a racing shifter on floor? without changing trans. was told no, looking for confirmation thanks
Posted By: Savoy1964

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/14/11 01:09 PM

I was told that there was a floor shifter for racing at one time but it would be almost impossible to find. I still use the buttons on the dash and i go 9.67 and have no problems.

There is a company that has a floor shifter but it is not gated and i have seen the buttons moved to a platform on the drivers right to allow using the right hand to shift buttons.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/14/11 02:22 PM

There was a recent thread that might help you, a VB or possibly a rooster comb change may let you use a floor shifter. Google it
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/14/11 02:30 PM

I seriously doubt a valve body change would work, the old PB 727's had rear pumps the new ones don't. The problem is how it's shifted.

Best I can think of is using a floor shift from an early MoPar, such as my 65 Cuda, and modifying the action to be more race oriented.

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/14/11 03:13 PM

Google it & find that comprehensive thread, I think it can be done
Posted By: Savoy1964

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/14/11 03:47 PM

The 64 A-100's used a shifter mounted on dash but again its not gated so you could shift past where you intend and I am not sure if it has all the gear selection R N 3 2 1 that is needed park is separate.
Posted By: 383man

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/14/11 03:54 PM

I use a newer trans (1970 model) and then added the floor shifter. But I want to go back to the buttons as they are so cool. But for now I use the B & M Pro Stick and love it. Ron

Posted By: dOrk !

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/14/11 04:39 PM

There is a hemi- with a home-made floor shifter ....but HERE is one that was made back-in-the-day.....

Attached picture 6870942-ACshifter.jpg

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/14/11 07:59 PM

Doc I remember that pic in a magazine from way back and the article made a reference something to the effect that they pirated it from a space ship/starship enterprise garage sale something or other. It always stuck in my head and I'd forgotten about until now. I'd like to make one (prob should get a PB tranny 1st)
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/14/11 09:34 PM

If you can find a '64-'65 console shifter it can be used with any '62-'65 trans if the corresponding console/column shift valve body is used.

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/14/11 10:15 PM

Quote:

If you can find a '64-'65 console shifter it can be used with any '62-'65 trans if the corresponding console/column shift valve body is used.

I knew it could be done

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/15/11 12:07 AM

i spoke with jerry stein he said same thing. find a 64-65- floor shifter or dash. but said to stick with the pushbutton setup!

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/15/11 09:43 PM

The PB valve body doesn't have the extra notch for Park, if you hook a PB valve body to a console/column shifter the cable core will buckle and bend when the shifter is placed in Park....every shift after that will be off because of the bent cable core.

Also, the shift cable core retaining notch is different and a console/column cable won't properly shift a PB valve body.
Posted By: SSAAHemiFan

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/16/11 12:46 AM

Quote:

There is a hemi- with a home-made floor shifter ....but HERE is one that was made back-in-the-day.....

I had one of those.. Art Carr "Nifty Shifter" -came with a B&M ball and trunion clutchflite I bought.. sold the shifter to a guy restoring a nostalgia gasser - Art told me he just used the pushbuttons out of a Dodge pickup.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/16/11 01:43 AM

Quote:

The PB valve body doesn't have the extra notch for Park, if you hook a PB valve body to a console/column shifter the cable core will buckle and bend when the shifter is placed in Park....every shift after that will be off because of the bent cable core.

Also, the shift cable core retaining notch is different and a console/column cable won't properly shift a PB valve body.

Someone might want to tell the factory floor shifter in my Cuda this news.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/16/11 01:49 AM

Got pushbuttons ? Show your colors with a shirt !

Attached picture 6873132-6507188-Big-Dad-Dodge-Shirt-BOTH-BLACK[1].jpg

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/16/11 10:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Explain.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/17/11 01:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Explain.

I guess he didn't get the push button rfference. Just saw floor column cableshift

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/18/11 12:13 AM

OK car has been sitting since 1983 w/trans in car i put a 440 in it. just got it running. seems it is stuck in gear. i can push all of the buttons and they seem to work but won't go into neutral or any other gear.any ideas what to do next without ripping it apart?
Posted By: calrobb2000

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/18/11 12:33 AM

hin
pull the pan and watch the cable and see if it is adjusted properly and that it is moving the manuel valve !

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/18/11 01:18 AM

Will Do!

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/18/11 09:03 PM

Quote:

i can push all of the buttons and they seem to work but won't go into neutral or any other gear.

If it's not in Neutral it must be in some "other gear".

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/18/11 10:43 PM

ok, this morning, dropped pan readjusted the cable. put everything back together . hit all the gears,GREAT! then later tested it again NOTHING
it won't go into gear, stuck in neutral. i guess back to the drawing board.

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/18/11 10:49 PM

Try pulling the park-lever up-and-down a couple of times...

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/18/11 11:03 PM

tryed it! NOTHING

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/18/11 11:05 PM

when i push the buttons it seems to shift, just nothing happens doesn't go into gear.

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/18/11 11:09 PM

Do the buttons CLICK IN ? ... and stay-in ? ... Did you observe the cable action in the valve-body underneath the car?

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/19/11 01:36 AM

the buttons do click in and stay in but i doesn't go into gear

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/19/11 02:52 AM

....but did you or someoen else observe from underneath with the pan off ? .... something is jamming the cable up.

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/19/11 03:08 AM

yes,i had friend shift while i adjusted it. it was perfect. test drove it was fine.. then test drive again squat. i'm going to drop the pan again. something is not right with the cable. where would i get a new cable?

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/19/11 05:22 AM

I think it is something ON or IN the VB ... a bad cable would not act this way.
Posted By: peabodyracing

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/19/11 04:18 PM

If you've already done so my apologies for doubling up on this, but did you change the filter? I've had these plug up after sitting a long time. I'm in the middle of the same thing with a Coronet that sat for a long time. Got it running, tranny worked for a few tries and then nothing. Filter was plugged.

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/19/11 08:24 PM

no, i didn't try that. its raining but i'll change filter as i check cable position.

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/19/11 08:55 PM

If in doubt about whether the cable is moving the roostercomb, just pull the NSS and you can observe the movement of the roostercomb.

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/19/11 10:05 PM

ok john, forgive me but whats roostercable, and nss? thanks

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/19/11 11:38 PM

The roostercomb is the internal shift lever that the spring-loaded ball sits in to make shift detents, NSS is Neutral Safety Switch.
Posted By: calrobb2000

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/20/11 06:50 AM

hi
you MUST use the filter for 62-65 with 2 feed holes NOT 66 and later
Posted By: bfury

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/20/11 02:47 PM

I also had the same problem with the filter, you can cut the second hole in the filter and it will work. As far as the shift cable adjustment, I pushed the neutral pb in and then adjusted the cable so that the neutral safety switch was depressed and all worked fine.

Now where do you buy that tee shirt?

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/22/11 04:54 PM

Ok update! dropped pan,changed filter, watched as cable was shifted everything moved fine,worked fine etc.. put everything back together and nothing! buttons push in,they stay in,they change nice when you switch gears. zero zip! WHAT gives? How does it go from working one minute then nothing?

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/22/11 06:46 PM

TIME ...for a line-pressure check.

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/22/11 07:41 PM

my buddy just called he said check line pressure too! ZERO, says i have wrong convertor and killed the pump and probably the convertor too!

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/22/11 09:42 PM

When the pump drive tangs fail they rarely harm the converter.

Attached picture 6883507-Pumpgears.jpg

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/24/11 12:04 AM

just picked up a later 727, hopefully this will work.

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/24/11 12:10 AM

Later .... meaning what year ?

Re: 64 pushbutton trans need help! - 10/27/11 12:42 AM

its a 74 going with a full rebuild and a rev man valve body
, b&m shifter, this should work!
© 2024 Moparts Forums