Moparts

radiator cap presure

Posted By: cmg

radiator cap presure - 10/10/11 09:31 PM

100% drag car pushes water into over flow at 200 degrees im useing at 16lb cap im thinking i should lower it to 14lb what do you think??
Posted By: stumpy

Re: radiator cap presure - 10/10/11 09:54 PM

I'd stay with the 16lp. 14 will puke quicker and won't do anything to lower the temp.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: radiator cap presure - 10/10/11 09:58 PM

Quote:

what do you think??

A 16 or any cap should not puke at 200 deg F, that's not even 212 sea level boiling temp. I'd get another 16 lb cap and if you have access to a Stant radiator pump kit I'd pressure check the block when hot to 15 lbs for a combustion leak and the current cap to 15 lbs also but to k.i.s.s. most likely cap is shot
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: radiator cap presure - 10/10/11 10:00 PM

If it pushes water out the overflow below the boiling point you have the radiator too full or something else is pressurizing the system (blown head gasket).

Do you have a "dangling disc" radiator cap?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: radiator cap presure - 10/11/11 04:29 AM

Quote:

you have the radiator too full
Do you have a "dangling disc" radiator cap?

rad too full will do it if you have a regular non recovery cap it will not be drawn back in. With the dangling disc (recovery) cap/overflow bottle you want it full to the brim and it will burp/cycle to remove as much air as possible. Check that before replacing the cap (& get the right one you need) recovery or non recovery & recovery is better as eliminating alot of the air slows rust and less air pockets give more uniform cooling (better/less hot spots)
© 2024 Moparts Forums