Moparts

Front Disk Brake Conversion not working ( UPDATE11/15)

Posted By: 1970440RT

Front Disk Brake Conversion not working ( UPDATE11/15) - 09/28/11 09:01 PM

I have a 1970 Challenger w/ power drum brakes originally.

I wanted to change over to front disk to improve my stopping ability, there was nothing wrong with the drums, just wanted to upgrade.

I bought the master cylinder from Ehrenberg ( 1 1/4" bore?) and the spindles are out of a 73 B body. The bearings, hoses, and discs are new, the calipers are rebuilt-pin type. I retained the original hard lines, power booster, and distribution block. I bought a Wilwood adjustable prop valve from Mancini to be able to adjust the rear drum lock up.

Everything went together well and the front brakes do work, just not well. No matter how I adjust the prop valve, the rears lock up first while testing. I can turn the dial on the proportionaing valve all the way to the stop at "less brake" and the rear drums still lock up before the fronts, if the fronts lock up at all.

I deduced the line pressure was not enough to operate the calipers so I bought another master cylinder, a 7/8" bore to increase the line pressure but after another test, I get the same result; the rears lock up before the fronts. The brakes pedal feels only marginally better.

I have another problem that I found out after I assembled everything, the calipers and caliper brackets are off a B body and put the caliper in a position to interfere with the lower control arm if I turn too hard either way. I guess I need M body calipers ( not sure on that either ... ) and brackets to fix this but before I buy anything else, I need to address the lack of front disc brake performance.

Anyone else experience this problem before? I did a search and found a ton of brake conversion info but nothing similar to what I'm experiencing.

Any suggestions what to look at first?
Posted By: 69sixpackbee

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/28/11 09:21 PM

Your interference problem is because you used the '73 B spindles. You need the '73-4 E or '73-6 A units. Do not use the similar, but taller, knuckles from ‘73-up B and F/J/M/R-body cars! I am using the slider-type of calipers and the fat rotors.I too use a master that is 7/8" but I also changed the rear wheel cylinders to a smaller 7/8" diameter one. I did not use the adj. prop valve but rather the "A" body unit that I got the donor spindles from. Just make sure you have a residual valve in your master for the rear brakes.
I have not had one bit of trouble.

Bud
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/28/11 09:38 PM

Quote:

Your interference problem is because you used the '73 B spindles. You need the '73-4 E or '73-6 A units. Do not use the similar, but taller, knuckles from ‘73-up B and F/J/M/R-body cars!

Bud

How does a spindle that is 3/8" taller cause the caliper to hit the LOWER control arm ?

To the OP , what exactly is hittng the lower control arm ? Did you mount the caliper to the front or the rear? Also the lower control arms on a 73 B body are the same as your 70 B body .
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/28/11 09:41 PM

Quote:

Any suggestions what to look at first?

Might "bench" bleed the M/C then (re) bleed the fronts EDIT is the clearance on the booster pushrod good (~1/8")? I'd check that 1st
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/28/11 09:46 PM

One thing that jumps out at me is you re-used the drum booster. A drum booster will not provide enough boost for discs in a heavy stop. It will work for normal use but not give enough braking whn you really need it.

I don't really think that's your problem, though, but it's something to investigate and correct.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/28/11 09:48 PM

Quote:

One thing that jumps out at me is you re-used the drum booster. A drum booster will not provide enough boost for discs in a heavy stop. It will work for normal use but not give enough braking whn you really need it.

I don't really think that's your problem, though, but it's something to investigate and correct.

I was thinking the same thing and was going to ask if the drum and disc used the same booster in a 70 up E body , I know that 66-69 B body they use a different booster.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/28/11 10:15 PM

Wow, thanks for all the quick responses.

The current calipers are mounted to the rear as factory 73 B's come standard. The caliper is hitting the lower control arm where the banjo bolt connects the rubber line. I have a "stop" I engineered to prevent the arm from crushing the fitting or caliper. My car is a 70 E body and after doing some more research, this interference is common when trying to adapt a B body setup to an E body.

I never thought the boosters would be different and my current one is a little rough so I can start there.

I have bled and re-bled the masters and lines thinking that was my problem but I still have the same issue.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/28/11 10:17 PM

Just a thought ... are your caliper bleeder screws at the top or bottom? They should be at the top - air rises.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/28/11 10:19 PM

You also need the disc brake proportioning valve, not the drum brake distribution block.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/28/11 10:27 PM

Quote:

Wow, thanks for all the quick responses.

The current calipers are mounted to the rear as factory 73 B's come standard. The caliper is hitting the lower control arm where the banjo bolt connects the rubber line. I have a "stop" I engineered to prevent the arm from crushing the fitting or caliper. My car is a 70 E body and after doing some more research, this interference is common when trying to adapt a B body setup to an E body.

I never thought the boosters would be different and my current one is a little rough so I can start there.

I have bled and re-bled the masters and lines thinking that was my problem but I still have the same issue.

So the brake line is hitting the lower control arm? Is it the hard line extension comming off the banjo. Some are like 1" long, then goes to soft line.

You should be able to front mount those calipers like 70 Challengers original had. That usually takes swapping the calipers from side to side so the bleeder is on top. But it's finding the right brake lines for them. You might be able to leave the caliper as they are and just get/find the right brake line.

This should be just like fitting a 73-76 A-body slider type caliper conversion. So you would use the same brake line those swap use. I sure though the 73 B-body shared the same caliper as the A-bodies did?? Or at least had the same brake line inlet orientation.
Posted By: hemi71x

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/28/11 10:55 PM

Quote:

Also the lower control arms on a 73 B body are the same as your 70 B body .

That's not true.
The 73 B body lower control arm is different than a 1972 - 1962 B body LCA.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/29/11 12:16 AM

Did you read Ebergs disc brake article? He is pretty clear on why the B body calipers won't work.

Get calipers that are designed to be rear hung with a rear mounted hardline. Then get some custom hoses made and that problem will be solved.
Posted By: 69sixpackbee

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/29/11 12:33 AM

Been there and done that....I had the exact same issue with another build. The PO had put on the 73-up spindles. I swapped in the A body ones and it was solved.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/29/11 12:48 AM

Rapid, I did not measure the pushrod. I just installed the masters w/o checking the pushrod length. The rod should be within an 1/8" of the depth of the master?

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/29/11 12:49 AM

Quote:

Just a thought ... are your caliper bleeder screws at the top or bottom? They should be at the top - air rises.

The bleeders are at the top.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/29/11 12:51 AM

Quote:

You also need the disc brake proportioning valve, not the drum brake distribution block.

I do have an adjustable proportioning valve but also left in the distribution block.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/29/11 01:00 AM

Quote:

Did you read Ebergs disc brake article? He is pretty clear on why the B body calipers won't work.

Get calipers that are designed to be rear hung with a rear mounted hardline. Then get some custom hoses made and that problem will be solved.

Andy, this should solve the interference problem (which I'm aware of the mistake I made now). I did read E's article but apparently mixed up some of my info.

Unfortunately, I still have the terrible brake performance issue.

Also, I checked at NAPA and they list the same part number for the drum and disc booster.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/29/11 01:20 AM

After you get the right disc brakes on your car, this is what I was talking about.
The top one is for a 71 challenger with power disc brakes.
The bottem one is the power 4 wheel drum brake distribution block. They don't funtion the same way.
I did the this swap on my 71 and used rear 11" drum brakes that were on the car and it works great. Better than my 74 with factory power disc brakes with 10" drums in back. I run a adj proportioning valve in my rear brakes line too, but that is a different deal for brake tuning, not setup.
I'm thinking 1970 is the same? Someone here will know.

71 power disc brake proportiioning valve, and the steel brakes lines are different also.I ordered all new lines from Fine Lines for a power disc brake car and everything bolted up and fit fine.Used factory correct rubber hoses, nothing custom. I used 73 E body spindles and brakes.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/29/11 02:08 AM

Thanks for the pics and info!

I will source a disc brake valve/block from somewhere and try it. I couldn't find where Ehrenberg's article mentions where this needs changed but it is obvious at this point my reading comprehension is lacking at best.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/29/11 02:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I do have an adjustable proportioning valve but also left in the distribution block.

An adjustable prop valve is NOT a replacement for the factory combination valve. A factory combination valve does more than just proportion, it does a lot of functions and as you have found out leaving it out causes problems.

Put in a factory type combination valve.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/29/11 03:16 AM

Quote:

The rod should be within an 1/8" of the depth of the master?

I'm actually not sure on the exact spec but I think .125" is probably max & probably could do with less. I would have an assistant press the pedal (eng on) & see if you can get a feel if there's excessive travel before you see fluid being disturbed in the M/C.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/29/11 11:45 AM

Typical disc brake conversion thread ...with the usual "problems" and misconceptions, a few of the responses are spot on, .....

I've done countless swaps over the decades using the 73 B body/ FMJ spindles, along with using the pin type caliper, on 66-70 B bodies, 70-4 E bodies, and the 71-2 B bodies, this family of cars are pretty much the same, with regards to sharing the same design/componets,....I've NEVER had an issue using the 73/FMJ "tall" spindle, no bumpsteer issues, or alignment problems, as some have proposed/theorize....

1st problem, sounds like you have the calipers mounted rearward, if so you can relocate them to the front upward position, by swapping the spindles left to right/drivers to pass/pass to drivers, the spindle design is symetrical in regards to the spindle angle/position, all that changes is the calipers location from rear to upper front/forward, use the 70-72 calipers/hoses (pin type)....get rid of the DISTRIBUTION DRUM block and use the correct PROPRTIONING VALVE,...get rid of the adjustable PROPORTIONING VALVE, not needed in your application....use a 1" maximum bore DISC/DRUM master cylinder 70-72 B/E application, regarding the booster, the single diaphrams, drum or disc, are all 10 3/4 diaphrams, pretty much all the same....the pushrod to bore gap for the master cylinder/booster pushrod clearance should be no less than .060 (ideal) to a max of .100

...simple guidelines, posting some pics of your current set-up, could help ID some prbplems/help

Mike

Attached picture 6847471-000000a.jpg

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/29/11 12:20 PM

Quote:

Typical disc brake conversion thread ...with the usual "problems" and misconceptions, a few of the responses are spot on, .....

I've done countless swaps over the decades using the 73 B body/ FMJ spindles, along with using the pin type caliper, on 66-70 B bodies, 70-4 E bodies, and the 71-2 B bodies, this family of cars are pretty much the same, with regards to sharing the same design/componets,....I've NEVER had an issue using the 73/FMJ "tall" spindle, no bumpsteer issues, or alignment problems, as some have proposed/theorize....

1st problem, sounds like you have the calipers mounted rearward, if so you can relocate them to the front upward position, by swapping the spindles left to right/drivers to pass/pass to drivers, the spindle design is symetrical in regards to the spindle angle/position, all that changes is the calipers location from rear to upper front/forward, use the 70-72 calipers/hoses (pin type)....get rid of the DISTRIBUTION DRUM block and use the correct PROPRTIONING VALVE,...get rid of the adjustable PROPORTIONING VALVE, not needed in your application....use a 1" maximum bore DISC/DRUM master cylinder 70-72 B/E application, regarding the booster, the single diaphrams, drum or disc, are all 10 3/4 diaphrams, pretty much all the same....the pushrod to bore gap for the master cylinder/booster pushrod clearance should be no less than .060 (ideal) to a max of .100

...simple guidelines, posting some pics of your current set-up, could help ID some prbplems/help

Mike

Thanks for the info Mike. I will get some parts in here for this weekend and report back the results.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/29/11 12:30 PM

Disc brakes line route different than drum brake lines.

Don't see this shot often, this is what your motor see's when the hood is closed. lol

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/29/11 02:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That's not true.

Didn't know that , what changed .

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/29/11 02:29 PM

Quote:

Been there and done that....I had the exact same issue with another build. The PO had put on the 73-up spindles. I swapped in the A body ones and it was solved.

Can you explain what your problem was and how it was solved? The caliper mounts in the same place on the spindle, the spindle is just 3/8" taller at the top.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/29/11 02:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's not true.

73 was the first year of the bubber isolated K member.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/29/11 06:56 PM

Well from the posts in this thread and some helpful pm's, I plan to buy a new disc brake proportioning block, lines, 70 Challenger calipers and hoses. I will retain the B spindles and switch sides so the caliper is front mounted. That should cure the interference issue and then I can tackle the lack of braking performance. Who knows, maybe by replacing all those parts, that problem may go away as well. We'll see...

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/29/11 06:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's not true.

That I know , what does the LCA look like though ?
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/29/11 07:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's not true.

Everything.

Attached picture 6847992-Kframe73-4BBB.jpg

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/29/11 07:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's not true.

Everything.

WOW not even close

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/29/11 07:24 PM

Quote:

Well from the posts in this thread and some helpful pm's, I plan to buy a new disc brake proportioning block, lines, 70 Challenger calipers and hoses. I will retain the B spindles and switch sides so the caliper is front mounted. That should cure the interference issue and then I can tackle the lack of braking performance. Who knows, maybe by replacing all those parts, that problem may go away as well. We'll see...

Look for a used one(proportioning valve), imo. I've read on here about too many problems with new one's.
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/29/11 07:39 PM

ON MY 70 challenger, originally drums, i have the 73a body set up using the stock distribution block and an adjustable valve in the rear line.
works exactly the same as my 74 cuda that has all stock disk brakes
Posted By: Rick_Ehrenberg

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/30/11 03:14 AM

Lots to wade thru here....so I'll just make a few points.

It sounds like he has the drum Tee with an adjustable valve in the rear line. That's all you need...ever. BUT, its possible he has the valve plumbed in BACKWARDS, that'd give the symptoms he describes.

I'm not much on power boosters, but the comments on drum booster runout on disc swaps (pedal pressure skyrocketing) are well taken.

Reversing the caliper mountings from OEM prevents the flex line from crossing the steering axis (unless you move the hardline and frame bracket) and can be real dangerous (hose goes taut, abrades, etc.)

Gotta run...

Rick
Posted By: BDW

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 09/30/11 12:22 PM

Quote:

ON MY 70 challenger, originally drums, i have the 73a body set up using the stock distribution block and an adjustable valve in the rear line.
works exactly the same as my 74 cuda that has all stock disk brakes

Same here, I'd look into the plumbing or booster before spending money on a new proportioning valve. I actually didn't even add the adjustable valve on the rears, just changed over to the smaller 7/8" wheel cylinders.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/01/11 06:01 AM

Quote:

No. 70 Challenger calipers are pin mounted. So to run them you need pin type caliper adapters (used only) and pin hardware kit.

Sounds like you need 73-76 A-body slider calipers because of hose orientation?? Rick?

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/01/11 06:30 AM

In the first post he says that he has pin type calipers. So given that, he should be able to front hang the calipers and use factory E body hoses. Since it is a '70 model year, the anti-sway bar mounts should be in board on the LCA.

He is using the taller late B knuckle but that doesn't change the caliper position. Even the taller 11.75 rotor setup should still work with the factory hoses.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/01/11 07:33 AM

Quote:

In the first post he says that he has pin type calipers. So given that, he should be able to front hang the calipers and use factory E body hoses. Since it is a '70 model year, the anti-sway bar mounts should be in board on the LCA.

He is using the taller late B knuckle but that doesn't change the caliper position. Even the taller 11.75 rotor setup should still work with the factory hoses.

Opps, my bad. I thought that 73 B-bodies had slider calipers and that was what he was using.

But his current situation is an easy fix with the correct banjo brake line. He needs to find the rubber one that doesn't have the 1" metal extension to it. There is an application for that. Like Aspen or Cordoba or something. Or run a custom braided line.

Here's rear mounted pin calipers with braided banjo line. The line is just routed in U shaped down from the banjo fitting and upward to the body fitting.

Attached picture 6850440-BrakeLineRearMountPinType1.JPG

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/01/11 11:52 AM

Quote:

Here's rear mounted pin calipers with braided banjo line. The line is just routed in U shaped down from the banjo fitting and upward to the body fitting.

The arrangement shown doesn't have the hose crossing the steering axis. This causes lots more twisting in the hose and mandates a very, very careful and thorough check for abrasion and "going taut" lock-to-lock, full jounce to full rebound, all combinations thereof. If the calipers must be rear hung for some reason, you are way better off moving the hardline and frame brackets to the front.

His original post led me to believe that he had pin-type calipers and they were front hung (he said LCA interference). Now he says he will move them to the front...so who knows?

Using the taller late-B knuckles may improve the camber pattern a small amount but definitely TRIPLES the bumpsteer!

Rick
Posted By: dvw

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/01/11 01:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The arrangement shown doesn't have the hose crossing the steering axis. This causes lots more twisting in the hose and mandates a very, very careful and thorough check for abrasion and "going taut" lock-to-lock, full jounce to full rebound, all combinations thereof. If the calipers must be rear hung for some reason, you are way better off moving the hardline and frame brackets to the front.

His original post led me to believe that he had pin-type calipers and they were front hung (he said LCA interference). Now he says he will move them to the front...so who knows?

Using the taller late-B knuckles may improve the camber pattern a small amount but definitely TRIPLES the bumpsteer!

Rick [/quote

My knowledge of bump steer is this. You need to form a parallelogram with these 4 points. The lower control arm pivot. The inner tie rod pivot. The lower ball joint pivot. And the outer tie rod pivot. Can you explain how raising the upper ball joint pivot affects this? I don't see it.
Doug

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/01/11 01:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Rick

So Rick which is it, the Chrysler engineers are brilliant or are they idiots?

In your articles of disc brake conversions you expound the virtues of the Chrysler engineers when it comes to the use of the taller knuckles on earlier models yet you chastise them because of the way they mounted the calipers?

You seem to forget you are dealing with Mopar owners that because the shading of reproduction hardware is off by one or 2 shades, do you really think they are going to move the brake line attachmant point and bend up their own lines ?

Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/01/11 02:22 PM

Quote:

Rick

The "legend" of using the infamous "tall" knuckle just gets "tall","taller","tallest" with each telling.....next up we'll here how factory caster specs can't be met using it....
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/01/11 02:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Rick

In your articles of disc brake conversions you expound the virtues of the Chrysler engineers when it comes to the use of the taller knuckles on earlier models yet you chastise them because of the way they mounted the calipers?

You seem to forget you are dealing with Mopar owners that because the shading of reproduction hardware is off by one or 2 shades, do you really think they are going to move the brake line attachmant point and bend up their own lines ?

I thought Dr.Diff came up with a solution to this by using GM brake hoses from a GTO Chevelle etc.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/01/11 03:09 PM

Quote:

My knowledge of bump steer is this. You need to form a parallelogram with these 4 points. The lower control arm pivot. The inner tie rod pivot. The lower ball joint pivot. And the outer tie rod pivot. Can you explain how raising the upper ball joint pivot affects this? I don't see it.
Doug

Maybe this will help you see... ;->

Rick

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/01/11 03:21 PM

Quote:

You seem to forget you are dealing with Mopar owners that because the shading of reproduction hardware is off by one or 2 shades, do you really think they are going to move the brake line attachmant <sic> point and bend up their own lines ?

Quote:

I thought Dr.Diff came up with a solution to this by using GM brake hoses from a GTO Chevelle etc.

Huh?

In 25 years, I never wrote anything positive about a "taller knuckle swap". Quite the contrary! So I'm lost re: that comment.

I see very little functional difference re: caliper mounting position, esp. for anything close to normal street driving. The important thing is that hose routing; stock setups always crossed the steering axis. When they moved the calipers to the rear, they also moved the frame bracket to the front. No hose swap can correct this, the frame bracket needs to be moved. Yes, a lot of guys won't bother do that -- that's the danger! I have seen a LOT of brake-swapped Mopars with brake hoses that are, effectively, the steering stop! Scary feces!

It isn't impossible to have a decent setup with both ends of the hose on one side or the other (of the knuckle), you just need to really take the time to be 100% sure all parameters I've outlined are met, and be cognizant that hose life will be reduced (from the twisting).

Rick

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/01/11 03:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Doug

Rick

Per your diagram the center line thru the control pivots/inner tie rod is not parallel to the center line thru the ball joints/outer tie rod. Therefore the tie rod arc versus the lower control arm arc will swing on a different radius. This would produce toe change.
Is this not correct?
Doug

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/01/11 04:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You seem to forget you are dealing with Mopar owners that because the shading of reproduction hardware is off by one or 2 shades, do you really think they are going to move the brake line attachmant <sic> point and bend up their own lines ?

Quote:

Huh?

In 25 years, I never wrote anything positive about a "taller knuckle swap". Quite the contrary! So I'm lost re: that comment.

I see very little functional difference re: caliper mounting position, esp. for anything close to normal street driving. The important thing is that hose routing; stock setups always crossed the steering axis. When they moved the calipers to the rear, they also moved the frame bracket to the front. No hose swap can correct this, the frame bracket needs to be moved. Yes, a lot of guys won't bother do that -- that's the danger! I have seen a LOT of brake-swapped Mopars with brake hoses that are, effectively, the steering stop! Scary feces!

It isn't impossible to have a decent setup with both ends of the hose on one side or the other (of the knuckle), you just need to really take the time to be 100% sure all parameters I've outlined are met, and be cognizant that hose life will be reduced (from the twisting).

Rick

Maybe I didn't say it properly above but I didn't say you were telling people to use the taller knuckles, you always were against it and if I remember correctly you said that the Chrysler engineers knew more/better than Joe shade-tree, I took what you had to say on the subject as gospel because you know more than this Joe Shade-tree. I haven't used the taller knuckles yet , I'm still over incorrectly plated hardware, but enough people have used them and haven't died that there doesn't appear to be the issue some other believe there is ???

But you are incorrect with your hose crossing the steering axis, that didn't happen till 1970 on a B body , 66-69 B bodies AND 6?-72 A bodies have the calipers mounted to the rear AND hose attachment point is also to the rear.

My spell checker doesn't see anything wrong so you won't have to worry yourself with that this time around .

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/01/11 05:19 PM

Every time this topic comes up, it seems to feed on itself, ad infinitum.

The diagram isn't a Mopar, and may not be perfect. You asked for an explanation as to why moving the ball joint affects bumpsteer, and this does make that clear.

There's an old engineering axiom: Perfection is the enemy of good. At some point, you've gotta say "uncle", and get the pig into production. Lots of Mopars were pretty far from perfect. EG: fast-ratio E-bodies with lousy Ackermann (the engineer told me, basically: "it worked OK"...and it does. Most of the '80s-'90s FWD stuff with MacPherson struts, and the horrendous linkless swaybar setup. And, worst of all, F/J/M-body front suspension. Plot that curve! But, as was pointed out, nobody got killed. The cars just could'a been better. (A few Chrysler engineers did quit over the F/J/M suspension however).

I have cut some pretty fast lap times with the FWD stuff, and, on a smooth course, even the F/J/M stuff can work. Make the asphalt bumpy or undulating, though... ;->

Generally, all the later ('60-'62-up) longitudinal T-bar suspension designs (the ones with the adjuster in the LCA) were very, very good. I have the SAE papers that compare them to contemporary competitors, which looks like F1 vs. soap box racer. My point, therefore, is why, if the design is so very good, knowingly degrade it, when the parts to do it right are pretty easy to come by?

One the hose routing issue: I stand corrected, I was thinking "single piston caliper". But the point remains unchanged, on any non-OEM swap, be sure to check for stretch and abrasion as I outlined.

Rick

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/01/11 06:56 PM

Quote:

Rick

It's not idiot proof. You've got to think things out/

I run braided hose. The hose picture had been on the car from 1993 to 2010. It's been in 4 years of Iowa salty winters. It out lived: a broken K-member, bent steel rim/dimpled up shock tower hole/bent valance, and a few off race track surface "excursions", and about 80,000 miles

I only took it off because I changed some stuff. Hose was fine.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/01/11 09:46 PM

Quote:

Every time this topic comes up, it seems to feed on itself, ad infinitum.

The diagram isn't a Mopar, and may not be perfect. You asked for an explanation as to why moving the ball joint affects bumpsteer, and this does make that clear.

There's an old engineering axiom: Perfection is the enemy of good. At some point, you've gotta say "uncle", and get the pig into production. Lots of Mopars were pretty far from perfect. EG: fast-ratio E-bodies with lousy Ackermann (the engineer told me, basically: "it worked OK"...and it does. Most of the '80s-'90s FWD stuff with MacPherson struts, and the horrendous linkless swaybar setup. And, worst of all, F/J/M-body front suspension. Plot that curve! But, as was pointed out, nobody got killed. The cars just could'a been better. (A few Chrysler engineers did quit over the F/J/M suspension however).

I have cut some pretty fast lap times with the FWD stuff, and, on a smooth course, even the F/J/M stuff can work. Make the asphalt bumpy or undulating, though... ;->

Generally, all the later ('60-'62-up) longitudinal T-bar suspension designs (the ones with the adjuster in the LCA) were very, very good. I have the SAE papers that compare them to contemporary competitors, which looks like F1 vs. soap box racer. My point, therefore, is why, if the design is so very good, knowingly degrade it, when the parts to do it right are pretty easy to come by?

One the hose routing issue: I stand corrected, I was thinking "single piston caliper". But the point remains unchanged, on any non-OEM swap, be sure to check for stretch and abrasion as I outlined.

Rick

Thanks Rick, question, is there a quality repop of the A,B,E spindle because are getting harder to come by?
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/01/11 10:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Doug

Rick

So rather than just posting the picture how about explaining what it represents.... Cause the blue lines are more of a concern in bump steer & spindle height has a minimal effect on those... In my limited background the red lines are represent a angle that effects anti-dive characteristics allot more than bumpsteer... Why not tells us the what & why not just post a picture....
Posted By: ahy

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/01/11 10:53 PM

Quote:

Thanks Rick, question, is there a quality repop of the A,B,E spindle because are getting harder to come by?

Master Power Brakes sells a good re-pop late A/E spindle.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/02/11 01:50 AM

Someone is confusing roll center with bump steer, spindle height has nothing to do with bumpsteer.

Bumpsteer http://www.i-car.com/pdf/advantage/online/2003/090203.pdf

Roll center http://www.neohio-scca.org/comp_clinic/hand_out_reprints/Vehicle%20Dynamics2007.pdf

BTW, just about anyone can join the SAE http://www.sae.org/membership/faqs/

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/02/11 04:28 AM

I'm a lousy artist so just try to visualize this:

Make the knuckle's upper section (from the spindle c/l to the UBJ) MUCH longer. Now, at rest, the UCA has a pronounced upward tilt - the angle between the steering axis and the c/l of the UBJ and UCA pivot bushings is near zero at rest. As the suspension is rebounded, watch the huge camber change as the top of the knuckle moves out. This moves the outer tie rod end a bunch, too -- there's your bumpsteer.

As I mentioned, somebody actually took the time to measure and plot this. If I can find the file or chart I will post it here. The toe change was approx. 3X on the '73-up B knuckle vs the correct one. (On a car originally equipped with the "short" knuckle).

FYI: The reason the knuckle was made taller on the '73 Bs (and F/J/J/M/R etc) was the the UCA pivot point also had to move up, since it was now on the rubber isolated K vs. on brackets welded right to the top of the rail on the earlier design.

Minimizing bumpsteer is one of the goals we should all aim for...even if the car never sees a road course or auto-x. It contributes greatly to the "pleasure to drive" factor - one of those intangibles that makes a car a keeper!

Rick

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/02/11 04:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Master Power Brakes sells a good re-pop late A/E spindle.

Be real careful. A lot of them are cast iron!

Rick

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/02/11 02:09 PM

Quote:

As I mentioned, somebody actually took the time to measure and plot this. If I can find the file or chart I will post it here. The toe change was approx. 3X on the '73-up B knuckle vs the correct one. (On a car originally equipped with the "short" knuckle).

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/spindles.shtml

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/02/11 04:37 PM

Pick up a copy of my new B body book when it comes out. I spent several chapters on brake systems.
http://www.amazon.com/B-Body-Performance-Upgrades-1962-79-Design/dp/1934709301

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/02/11 05:23 PM

The chart in the post above is the one I saw. It shows the tall spindles toe change almost identical to the short one. I do agree camber change will change toe. Camber will change unless both upper and lower control arms are the same length. That's not going to happen.
Doug

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/02/11 05:39 PM

Quote:

I looked and could not find the chart I saw. It showed the tall spindles toe change almost identical to the short one. I do agree camber change will change toe. Camber will change unless both upper and lower control arms are the same length. That's not going to happen.
Doug

Caster change in bump and rebound has a large effect on bump steer too. Looking at the side of the spindle in bump and rebound, the spindle rotates forward and back. That moves the lower tie rod end up and down and changes bump steer.

A lot of that comes from the side angle of the upper control that is made for anti dive. That's why Hotchkis relocated the upper control arms on thier B/E body arms to take some anti dive out (not fully remove) and reduce bump steer.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/04/11 03:34 AM

Quote:

The chart in the post above is the one I saw. It shows the tall spindles toe change almost identical to the short one. <snip>

Hmmm... that chart shows 0.081" total toe change for the "correct" knuckles, and 0.199" for the taller ones...that's pretty close to the 3X I remember. Far from identical!

Rick

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/05/11 08:54 PM

Well, I got the correct 1970 - 1974 calipers and hoses on the car and the spindles swapped side to side to get the calipers front mounted. This has solved the interference issues with the lower control arm. My lines and distribution block / valve won't be here for a while so I'll have to wait until this weekend when I get back from a business trip to test drive the new caliper set up.

Does anyone know where I can get the info to properly set up the booster pushrod?
Posted By: Hotchkis

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/06/11 06:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I looked and could not find the chart I saw. It showed the tall spindles toe change almost identical to the short one. I do agree camber change will change toe. Camber will change unless both upper and lower control arms are the same length. That's not going to happen.
Doug

Caster change in bump and rebound has a large effect on bump steer too. Looking at the side of the spindle in bump and rebound, the spindle rotates forward and back. That moves the lower tie rod end up and down and changes bump steer.

A lot of that comes from the side angle of the upper control that is made for anti dive. That's why Hotchkis relocated the upper control arms on thier B/E body arms to take some anti dive out (not fully remove) and reduce bump steer.

Steve’s right. We did change the location of the upper control arm pivot point for anti-dive and bump steer correction. Toe change during suspension compression and rebound makes a car less fun to drive hard and uncontrollable understeer when the toe change is severe enough.

We put this cool little video about the bump steer change with the Hotchkis TVS for the B and E bodies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzxPWrdPlt0
Posted By: CKessel

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/07/11 03:09 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the book, I have it pre-ordered. Since you have a 65 also, I'm looking forward to what you have written. Andy, you, Hotchkis, Firm Feel and Herr Ehrenberg kick butt!

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/07/11 04:29 PM

Thanks. I covered brakes inside and out in the book because the same issues keep coming up over and over on this board. Hopefully I answered everything well enough in the book to stop some of the confusion. It is a little easier in a book to cover the topic with pictures and text than it is on-line.

Attached picture 6860415-cover.jpg
Posted By: CKessel

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/09/11 06:09 AM

Not to change the subject, but since we are talking front end stuff, I was wondering when M.A. and Richard are going to update the article on the lower control arms that was run several issues ago. The suspense in waiting for the rest of the story is hard to take.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/17/11 07:01 PM

Sorry for the delay.

I am still having the front brake performance issue. The latest thing I did was install new s.s. brake lines throughout, including a new distribution block.

I rebled the master twice and the system three times, with vaccuum and pedal pressure. With the new master cylinder at a 7/8" bore, I can feel the longer stroke on the pedal but the brakes don't catch until near the bottom of the stroke. If I was new to the situation, I would guess that the system still has air in it somewhere but when I bleed, I get all fluid. Also, my bleeders are all located correctly at the top of the calipers.

At this point, I am so frustrated that I can't think straight. What the heck am I missing here? No matter how I adjust the Wilwood prop valve, the rears always lock up in a panic stop. I cant get the fronts to lock up at all.

This front brake performance issue has been the same since I first installed the conversion. I have changed the master cyl twice, lines, calipers twice, dist. block, and added a Wilwood prop valve.

The only thing I haven't touched are the rear brakes because they were done a year and a half ago.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/17/11 08:06 PM

Quote:

I can feel the longer stroke on the pedal but the brakes don't catch until near the bottom of the stroke.

I'd get (2) brass inverted flare male plugs from the "Edelman" parts bin at your parts house (they're cheap & you'll reuse em) and plug the M/C & if the mc is good and bled out with eng on the pedal will be rock hard and virtually no travel. There may be air downstream but that'd be a start and give you the satisfaction of some progress. I'd set the booster pushrod to 1/16" max or even a bit less. I'm assuming the rear drums are pretty tight. I'd say air or excessive p rod clearance. No opinion (yet) on why the fronts are not performing. I'd take care of the excessive pedal travel first.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/17/11 08:15 PM

Rapid, good idea. I will make sure master is good to go first.

The pushrod was adjusted to almost zero before I installed the master.

I also did not touch the booster but if that was bad, it should show itself as almost having manual brakes, right?

I could also block off the rear brakes completely and try operating with just the fronts to see exactly how well they perform.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/17/11 08:25 PM

Quote:

I also did not touch the booster but if that was bad, it should show itself as almost having manual brakes, right?

I could also block off the rear brakes completely and try operating with just the fronts to see exactly how well they perform.

(1) Yes I think pretty much so just like when you keep pressing them with the eng off. (2) Excellent idea to with a brass plug cap the rear brake port which'd be as you know the front port but I would cap both first. we gotta start somewhere to narrow this down
Posted By: cruzin

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/17/11 10:03 PM

I'm experiencing a similar situation with not being able to adjust-out the rear lock up after installing a Wilwood prop valve. Which valve did you install? I'm using the 11179.

What size is your rear wheel cylinders and any thought about trying smaller ones?

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/18/11 02:11 AM

just got in from the garage,

1. I isolated the master with plugs - rock hard pedal with engine running. Master cylinder and booster operating correctly.

2. blocked front brakes with a plug, had pressure to rears only. After bleeding rears, with engine on, good brake pedal. Rears OK

3. Reconnected front brake line to master, spongy pedal with engine running. Bled fronts, both calipers. Again spongy pedal with engine running. Rebled fronts, same spongy pedal.

All signs point to air in the front lines somewhere, can't find it. When bleeding calipers, get clear fuid - no bubbles. brand new brake hoses - rubber and stainless.

Did I possibly get a bad distribution block? can they trap air?

BTW: Cruzin, I got the prop valve from Mancini #WIL260-8419. I have the stock rear wheel cylinders.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/18/11 03:27 AM

Just for fun, set the emergency brake then retest the foot brake. If the pedal firms up then your rear brake adjustment need tightening up.

It's also possible the calipers are mismounted. Some calipers do not take well to being swapped side for side to mount them on the other side of the spindle. Found that out on my 65 Cuda when I added discs.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/18/11 04:33 AM

Progress . loosen the RF bleeder screw then tighten it finger tight just enough so it's shut off & have a helper jump on the pedal 4 times and with perfect timing you with your fingers open the bleeder as he's starting the 4th stomp & he holds it down till you close it. This agitates the fluid & can help get bubbles out. Repeat a number of times then do the LF the same. Ahead of time if the prop valve has an external pin valve on it pull it out & keep it out with a pair of vice grips. If this fails & I know you've checked all the front brake line fittings for tightness I'd actually take off the RF caliper and block the space in between the pads and bleed some more as you tilt it, repeat with LF. Sometimes the bleeder screw is at 12 0'clock but where this passage MEETS the bore is not at 12 0'clock so it's not the highest point and the highest point is where the air is going to rise to. OK; the M/C is bled out, the lines are tight, the prop valve usually does not hold air unless there's a high point so that only leaves the caliper. We're almost there EDIT if the pedal stomp does not help before I took a caliper(s) off I'd unscrew the front disc "out" line from the prop block & cap the block with a male plug same as you did the M/C & see if your now high and tight & if so rehook the line & continue on...

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/18/11 06:00 AM

Quote:

Did I possibly get a bad distribution block? can they trap air?

More info on this DISTRIBUTION block ? Stock/original or aftermarket ?

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/18/11 11:20 AM

Rapid,

Good points, I'll try plugging the distribution block next to try to eliminate that from being a problem, then move to the calipers.

John- the distribution block I have now is a "supposed" good used. I bought a new one also but saw some threads about the new blocks having problems. I got the new block from Inline Tube, as well as the stainless lines.

Funny thing, my original block from my 4 wheel drum car is the same as the used one I got AND the new one Inline Tube sent, both purchased blocks were supposed to be for a 70-74 Challenger front disc, rear drum. Challenger 1's pics from this thread show a different distribution block on his Challengers from the factory. I didn't think too much about it because Ehrenberg's response in this thread indicated that the drum distribution block would work with the disc conversion.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/18/11 12:31 PM

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/18/11 01:29 PM

Quote:

Rapid,

John- the distribution block I have now is a "supposed" good used. I bought a new one also but saw some threads about the new blocks having problems. I got the new block from Inline Tube, as well as the stainless lines.

I have heard (and suffered this once at a repair shop), that a prop valve, especially when old, can move/stick durign bleeding.

Those valves never see the maintenance or replacement like the MC does, and they won't perform full travel on the valve unless one section of the brakes gets opened fully, which happens only during bleeding or brake system failure.

Yeah, they see some 'maintenance' and new fluid when brakes components are replaced, but they're still an old cast-iron part with rust inside.

Just a possibility to consider.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/18/11 02:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Rapid,

I have heard (and suffered this once at a repair shop), that a prop valve, especially when old, can move/stick durign bleeding.

Those valves never see the maintenance or replacement like the MC does, and they won't perform full travel on the valve unless one section of the brakes gets opened fully, which happens only during bleeding or brake system failure.

Yeah, they see some 'maintenance' and new fluid when brakes components are replaced, but they're still an old cast-iron part with rust inside.

Just a possibility to consider.

I don't know what material the valve is made of but the block itself is Brass not cast iron, I imagine if it were iron it would rust itself stuck in no time.

RT , the distribution block is just that , a distribution block , 67 to 69 cars used the same block disc or drum with a residual valve in the line to the rear, all that changed in 1970.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 10/24/11 08:16 PM

More Progress,

I swapped the distribution block and rebled the system and still have spongy pedal. While bleeding, I noticed that the drivers side rubber brake hose has more than noticeable movement when the brake pedal is pressed. No other rubber lines move when brakes are applied.

I blocked off the passenger side front brake line, leaving the driver side attached to the distribution block, still have spongy pedal.

I then plugged the driver side line at the distribution block and hooked the passenger side up and rebled. Voila... good pedal!

The problem is looks to be the driver side caliper and/or hose. I have a new caliper and hose on order and pick it up tomorrow morning. I hope this finally does the trick...

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 11/02/11 11:36 AM

After changing the caliper and hose, the pedal still seemed spongy. I tried Rapid's advice on bleeding and even taking the calipers off the bracket to make sure the bleeder was at max 12 o'clock position and still the same ultimate result.

After all this work on the front lines, calipers, block and hoses- that all "had" to be good. I then looked to the master cylinder again. I still had the old (new from Ehrenberg) master with the large bore and figured what the heck. I had it installed in about ten minutes and bled. The pedal does not have much travel at all but with the prop valve almost completely dialing out the rear brakes, I can get the fronts to lock up first. The big bore master is making the pedal uncomfortably stiff but the system seems to finally work.

Any comments on why the small bore master didn't work? Bad master? pushrod/pedal ratios off? Should I try a different master?

Thanks to all who helped!

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 11/02/11 03:23 PM

Quote:

The big bore master is making the pedal uncomfortably stiff but the system seems to finally work.

Any comments on why the small bore master didn't work? Bad master? Should I try a different master?

Sucess! (1) You'd think bad master but I'm not grasping how it was high and tight with the one (offending) side blocked off but spongy with it hookup up then a diff master made both front sides firm as you'd logically think there was still air in the bad side (2) To confirm (or deny) I'd get a diff one with a smaller bore and bleed it out since you're getting to be a bleeding pro and can do it in no time and the smaller bore will get the pedal feel where it is more comfortable for you
Posted By: Montclaire

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 11/02/11 05:53 PM

Bottom line, use the right parts. Why would you use the 73+ spindles when the right stuff is available? There was an article in Mopar Muscle a while back, I no longer have the specs. They printed a chart with different variables between the earlier and later spindles and there were some differences, I think mostly with roll center. BUT, the test was not only skewed from the start with non-factory settings (lowered here, changed there, who knows if a stock setup would yield different results?), it also was very one dimensional - the factory ran these setups through simulations that measured everything seven ways from Sunday. One test will not find every gremlin, the same way that a standard alignment will not find issues beyond the basics.

The right parts are out there, use them.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 11/02/11 06:40 PM

"Sucess! (1) You'd think bad master but I'm not grasping how it was high and tight with the one (offending) side blocked off but spongy with it hookup up then a diff master made both front sides firm as you'd logically think there was still air in the bad side (2) To confirm (or deny) I'd get a diff one with a smaller bore and bleed it out since you're getting to be a bleeding pro and can do it in no time"

If I would block the fronts off completely, the pedal felt great. When I would add in one side of the fronts I would get a good pedal, but more travel when pressing the pedal. When I added in the other front side, the pedal would almost go to the floor. I initially interpreted it as air in the front system somewhere but now this makes me think it is a ratio problem with the levers in the pedal and booster. Too much stroke in the master? I don't know.

I will try a 15/16" or 1 1/32" bore master in the spring to try and get a better pedal feel. What I do know is this 7/8" bore does not work.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 11/02/11 06:59 PM

Quote:

When I would add in one side of the fronts I would get a good pedal, but more travel when pressing the pedal. When I added in the other front side, the pedal would almost go to the floor.

(1) that's normal as you're adding another caliper to be filled. (2) I wonder how it would act if you plugged the side of the fronts that is good and hooked up the problem corner one. EDIT Yeah if it is strickly a M/C prob & you swapped it & there is no air downstream it should be high and tight with just that (problem) side also. Not a leverage problem

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 11/02/11 07:13 PM

Quote:

One test will not find every gremlin,

I read one of the brake conversion articles in a Mopar magazine that praised the conversion kit (one of the ones that uses a bearing spacer) because they had not had a single problem and had put over 5000 miles on them.

As a test engineer, I was torn between laughing or grimacing at such a paper-thin evaluation.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 11/02/11 08:38 PM

Maybe we got the answer further up, I’ve read all the replies but not all on the same day.

Regarding the bore size vs front brakes -
From my understanding, a small bore is for manual brakes, larger bores are for power brakes (to keep pedal effort within 'normal' for a human leg). There is probably also a slightly-larger bore suited for discs then, because I suspect that the fluid volume required to move 2 pistons is greater than to move 2 front wheel cyls. Also, the late-70s caliper bores are larger than the early 70s (at least as far as C-bodies go), which supports my hunch.

Using a small bore MC requires longer pedal travel/longer MC piston travel. There are also a few orifices/ports in there that I'm not fully versed with, but I do believe that if in the event of a pressure loss in teh front brakes (which run on the rearmost MC section) that the piston travels further forward and bump-stops the rear brake piston into action.

So climbing further out on the limb:
Small-bore MC takes lots of travel, can barely push the fluid vol to activate the calipers, but then physically pushes the piston for the rear brakes – and they lock up (especially because pedal effort is so low in this configuration).

Then one front brake is capped off, reducing the fluid vol requirements, so the pedal feels better, and blocking them both off makes a rock-hard pedal – proving the MC has integrity. The difference mentioned earlier, between blocking 1 caliper vs the other, is a mystery to me, though. Different length of metal tube was my initial thought but then discarded as the fluid vol required is same for both calipers and pressure loss in longer tube would be negligible.

And as a bit of evidence –
Almost 20 years ago I converted a 65 Fury from manual drums to power discs (c-bodies use a different pedal assembly for manual brakes, and you can’t tell the difference by looking down from the driver’s seat, you have to be aware of this difference). I used a 71 PDB booster /MC with my MB pedal. Braking was great but the pedal was very soft and felt like it had air in the lines. Bled them repeatedly, over several weeks, but to no avail. Blocked off the front hoses and got a rock-hard pedal, so I knew the MC was OK. None of the brake experts I spoke with had any good ideas. I didn’t drive the car very much, and the brakes were awesome, so I accepted it. I figured it out many years later as I learned more about C-bodies.

I think this is a related situation.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 11/02/11 08:40 PM

Quote:

Bottom line, use the right parts. Why would you use the 73+ spindles when the right stuff is available? There was an article in Mopar Muscle a while back, I no longer have the specs. They printed a chart with different variables between the earlier and later spindles and there were some differences, I think mostly with roll center. BUT, the test was not only skewed from the start with non-factory settings (lowered here, changed there, who knows if a stock setup would yield different results?), it also was very one dimensional - the factory ran these setups through simulations that measured everything seven ways from Sunday. One test will not find every gremlin, the same way that a standard alignment will not find issues beyond the basics.

The right parts are out there, use them.

How does spindle height cause his soft pedal issue ?
Posted By: Montclaire

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 11/02/11 11:23 PM

It doesn't, but that didn't stop anyone else from discussing it.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 11/03/11 12:09 PM

Sorry, should have clarified,

If I blocked one side of the front brake system ( didn't matter which side - after further tests ) I would have a decent pedal. When I hooked both sides into the distribution block is when I would get the overly long pedal travel.

I can't explain the results as fluid can't be compressed. How would the isolated rear brake system produce a great pedal, while adding the front lines would give me excessive travel? The signs point to trapped air but after switching masters, that theory is disproven.

I don't recall the actual bore size of the Ehrenberg Master but it is at least 1 1/8", possibly 1 1/4". ( Not 1 15/16" as I originally posted ). The Eberg master is what I have on the car now and is working but with an unnaturally hard pedal with only a little bit of travel.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 11/03/11 02:24 PM

Quote:

Sorry, should have clarified,

If I blocked one side of the front brake system ( didn't matter which side - after further tests ) I would have a decent pedal. When I hooked both sides into the distribution block is when I would get the overly long pedal travel.

I can't explain the results as fluid can't be compressed. How would the isolated rear brake system produce a great pedal, while adding the front lines would give me excessive travel? The signs point to trapped air but after switching masters, that theory is disproven.

I don't recall the actual bore size of the Ehrenberg Master but it is at least 1 1/8", possibly 1 1/4". ( Not 1 15/16" as I originally posted ). The Eberg master is what I have on the car now and is working but with an unnaturally hard pedal with only a little bit of travel.

The long pedal is caused by the small bore of the master and the large piston area of the 2 front discs , the more piston area the longer the travel to move the fluid to push the pistons , when you block off the front of the rear lines , as you know the fluid can't be compressed if there is no air you greatly shorten the amount of pedal travel , the problem is the master cylinder you are using , and make sure you have the rod from your power booster set correctly .

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 11/03/11 06:33 PM

UNBELIEVABLE!

The "system" is not working. Apparently my test drive the other night wasn't long enough. I was half way to work today when I noticed the car started feeling sluggish, parking brake not on, [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean]?
Seemed like every stop, it got worse and worse car didn't want to move as if the brakes were being applied. Unmistakeable scent of overheated brake material and the pedal travel got really short as well. I had to pull over and I loosened the fittings at the master for the front and rear lines and the car will roll freely. The front wheels were very hot, the rears seemed normal.

Apparently, I'm the poster child for what not to do in a disc brake swap.
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 11/03/11 06:59 PM

Thats a symptom of a master cylinder push rod adjusted to far and its not letting the master cylinder plunger come back far enough....Fluid can only return to the master when it's all the way back.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 11/03/11 07:11 PM

I will check that before I leave for home. I thought I adjusted it even with the recess in the master but in the haste to mount the new master, the clearance may have been overlooked.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 11/03/11 08:11 PM

Do you have the brakelines swapped at the MC perhaps aswell?
The rear port is usually for the front brakes and viceversa.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 11/03/11 08:16 PM

And the port for the rear brakes might have a residual pressure valve in it, which would make the front brakes drag if F-R circuits are reversed.

MCs used to have the valve at the outlet seat, but supposedly they no longer need/have it due to expander cups in the wheel cylinder seals.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 11/03/11 08:32 PM

yes check the booster pushrod free play from the round nub to the bottom of the piston recess & want ~.060" or a bit less and take off the lines from the M/C and stick a drill bit deep into each cone and you'll feel the RPV if it has one as it's just a piece of neoprene on a spring & you'll feel the springiness. Cant have a OE type RPV on the disc side they hold too much pressure

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected - 11/03/11 10:52 PM

Seems as though Hemirick was right. I adjusted the pushrod in a little and had no problems on the way home besides the usual stiff pedal.

Wow, did not know a sixteenth or eighth of an inch would make that much difference!

I do have a couple different masters coming in tomorrow to experiment with over the weekend to try and get a better pedal feel.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working ( UPDATE11/15) - 11/15/11 12:43 PM

Looks like I finally hit on a master that gave me the results I was looking for. I tried a master from an 85 Diplomat with a vastly improved feel. The pedal travel seems natural and I can finally get the front tires to lock up before the rears.

Thanks to all for helping... so glad it is finally fixed. Now I get to put the car away for the winter
© 2024 Moparts Forums