Moparts

Type Of Wood For Carb Heat Shield

Posted By: YO7_A66

Type Of Wood For Carb Heat Shield - 09/27/11 11:33 AM

I am looking at making another carb heat shield and I want to make the next one out of wood. What kind of wood do I need to make this out of?
I was hoping to go by my local Loews or Menards and pick something up and just transfer my existing lexan template onto. I am looking at maybe 1/4" or 5/16" thick for the new shield.

Thanks
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Type Of Wood For Carb Heat Shield - 09/27/11 12:10 PM

do you have a local hobby store near you? if so get a piece of the plywood for models. otherwise I would use some Marine plywood. I would think that a normal board would crack..
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Type Of Wood For Carb Heat Shield - 09/27/11 12:12 PM

why? anyway I'm going to guess you'd want as hard a wood as you can find. The softer woods would (haha) take in moister and possibly soak up the gas.

Re: Type Of Wood For Carb Heat Shield - 09/27/11 12:27 PM

Why?
I am on my second polycarbonate (Lexan) heat shield and it just cracked over the weekend and I want to try making one out of wood this time. I have a good template that I can just lay over some wood and trace around it and start cutting, but I need to find out what type of wood to use.

Note: I do have a local specialty wood distributor that I have contacted and I am waiting for a reply. But they may not have a small enough piece.

Thanks for the replies.
Posted By: dOOc

Re: Type Of Wood For Carb Heat Shield - 09/27/11 01:28 PM

A GOOD QUALITY treated plywood is the ticket

Re: Type Of Wood For Carb Heat Shield - 09/27/11 01:33 PM

Quote:

Why?
I am on my second polycarbonate (Lexan) heat shield and it just cracked over the weekend and I want to try making one out of wood this time. I have a good template that I can just lay over some wood and trace around it and start cutting, but I need to find out what type of wood to use.

Note: I do have a local specialty wood distributor that I have contacted and I am waiting for a reply. But they may not have a small enough piece.

Thanks for the replies.

wow never had one crack. Had a 1/2" 4 hole for years on a Supercharged 440 and no issues. You might be able to by a wooden one pre-made. I have seen them but it's been years.

Re: Type Of Wood For Carb Heat Shield - 09/27/11 01:46 PM

This is not for a carb spacer but for a carb heat shield/carb heat deflector. You can see one of my earlier Lexan shields in this picture. I am on my fourth revision of it now and I need another material. My current one is painted with a black wrinkle finish to match my air cleaner. The paint helps protect it when gas comes out of the bowl during jet changes. The gas is probably what helped cause the cracking with the Lexan.

Thanks

Attached picture 6844536-HS107.jpg

Re: Type Of Wood For Carb Heat Shield - 09/27/11 02:28 PM

Quote:

This is not for a carb spacer but for a carb heat shield/carb heat deflector. You can see one of my earlier Lexan shields in this picture. I am on my fourth revision of it now and I need another material. My current one is painted with a black wrinkle finish to match my air cleaner. The paint helps protect it when gas comes out of the bowl during jet changes. The gas is probably what helped cause the cracking with the Lexan.

Thanks

Ohhhhh... I used the aluminum Holley unit for years. Might still have it someplace.

Attached picture 6844576-hly-108-70_w.jpg
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Type Of Wood For Carb Heat Shield - 09/27/11 02:40 PM

Quote:

What kind of wood do I need to make this out of?

there was a thread on this way back & a guy posted what to use but I dont remember what it was but it was a specific type that was the best & said that wood was much better than phenolic & solved his problem

Re: Type Of Wood For Carb Heat Shield - 09/27/11 02:45 PM

I am currently receiving emails from a local sawmill. They are helping me with the wood selection for this application. I will give an update once I have decided on a wood that they carry. So far the prices are very cheap and they ship too.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Type Of Wood For Carb Heat Shield - 09/27/11 02:51 PM

Been trying to remember & just coming with "cabinet grade" something. I'd think it'd be easy to do with a table jig saw just trace out the gasket pattern then cut the "square" out on the inside and a little deburring
Posted By: MRBELV2

Re: Type Of Wood For Carb Heat Shield - 09/27/11 03:09 PM

I think I'd use MDF plywood. MDF - medium density fiberboard. It comes in many different thicknesses. It's very dense, but easy to shape. This material looks very close to the stock one I had on a '78 Powerwagon.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Type Of Wood For Carb Heat Shield - 09/27/11 03:17 PM

The original 5/16" phenolic spacers under these carbs are 49 years old,never any cracks,with phenolic all you need is the right gaskets.

Also,if you use wood,watch out for Termites!!

Attached picture 6844659-P9280254.JPG
Posted By: 360904

Re: Type Of Wood For Carb Heat Shield - 09/27/11 03:43 PM

www.coolcarb.com
Posted By: 69sixpackbee

Re: Type Of Wood For Carb Heat Shield - 09/27/11 06:16 PM

I make mine out of Phenolic material such as sanded G10. I have also used black Delrin which, is what I currently have on my BBC.

Bud

Re: Type Of Wood For Carb Heat Shield - 09/27/11 06:32 PM

After discussing the different wood options, the best option for heat, gas, and not cracking is the Baltic Birch Plywood. I can get a 30" x 30" x 1/4" piece for a whopping $9.00 plus shipping. This will leave me plenty of material left for more changes in the future.

Note: I asked about the Marine Fir Plywood and his response was that the glues are better but the wood is not as hard and it would absorb more fuel. He suggested that I use a urethane coating on the Marine plywood.

The above "Cool Carb" parts appear to be very nice. Thank you for posting that information.

Thanks again for your replies.
© 2024 Moparts Forums