Moparts

Having issues with my EZ EFI

Posted By: Slipknot440

Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/22/11 04:46 AM

I'm a little disappointed so far. After a horrible first outting where I could not get to full throttle without it falling on it's face I decided to retune it. Unfortunately it wouldn't start after a cool a night without a little help. Next I ran through the computer set up and it still won't idle at he 850 of 900 without stalling out. Crank it up to a 1000 rpm and it stays running but is rough. Good note I sat in the car for 20 mins trying to get it to operating temp and couldn't get it over 150 degrees. After 20 mins of idle in the driveway I hit the gas and it was a choppy rev. I put it in reverse for a test run and it died. So mad I closed the hood and walked away. My carb that I junked ran as well as my EFI runs now. Hopefully tomorrow it will co-operate. FYI I just a brand new wiring harness installed so there are no more electrical bugs
Posted By: Procommuter

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/22/11 01:59 PM

Sorry to hear about your struggles. I have a Holley Commander 950 on my Cuda and after it's tuned it really is worth it.
Are you sure your fuel pressure is set correctly?
Run one ground wire from the body to the computer to the ignition to the engine block and to the battery. Do this no matter how good you think your grounds are.
Use a timing light to compare the actual engine timing to what the computer thinks it is.
It sounds foolish but check that the spark plug wires are all on securly and that the firing order is correct.
I know that it can be very frustrating, but when you get it right you'll never go back.

Attached picture 6837375-100_2809(Large).JPG
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/22/11 02:06 PM

do you have a clean power source? the fuse box most likely will not work.

is the fuel pressure too high at idle making it run too rich?

why won't the car get warmer then 150*? i believe under 160* the efi will run in a rich condition because it thinks its a cold start.

make sure the plugs and O2 sensor aren't fouled now before you run it again.

have you called tech? if so what did they tell you?
Posted By: Mopar_Rich

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/22/11 02:50 PM

Log on to here:
http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/fast-product-support.html
and post your problem. This is a great place to get the best tech help for the EZ-EFI.

But I will jump ahead and suggest that you verify the main power connections (straight to the battery), and that you have a clean tach signal from your ignition.

From your note it sounds like the engine didn't run well with a carb either. Am I reading that right? Also, the engine must warm up to at least 170 for the learning to kick in. You have other issues if the engine won't warm up.

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/22/11 03:58 PM

the engine has less than 700 miles on it. I had everything professionally installed to make sure that I wasn't going to have grounding or connection issues. The timing is set the same as it was when dynoed. The car used to run extremely hot when carbed now I can't get it to 160 when it was driving. Hopefully the rain stops and I can get a chance to play with it this week(end)

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/22/11 04:00 PM

Fuel pressure is set at 43. what are good a/f number to look for. I can't keep it running long enough after I reset everything to get the AL to hit the target point
Posted By: Viol8r

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/22/11 06:18 PM

Almost guarentee your plugs are fouled. That is only issue I had upon first start up because the fuel delivery with the injectors is much more intense then with a carb. If you have not got it to learn yet then you are for sure running a little rich I would imagine.

My targets currently are 13.6 idle, 14.2 cruise and 12.8 WOT. I run a +2 ACCEL setting.

Put some paper on the radiator or something to get some heat into it until you can get it learn a little.
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/22/11 06:36 PM

Quote:

the engine has less than 700 miles on it. I had everything professionally installed to make sure that I wasn't going to have grounding or connection issues. The timing is set the same as it was when dynoed. The car used to run extremely hot when carbed now I can't get it to 160 when it was driving. Hopefully the rain stops and I can get a chance to play with it this week(end)

Was the engine dynoed with the EZ- on it? You have to set the timing to what is ez- computer is programmed to run.

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/22/11 07:16 PM

Quote:

Almost guarentee your plugs are fouled. That is only issue I had upon first start up because the fuel delivery with the injectors is much more intense then with a carb. If you have not got it to learn yet then you are for sure running a little rich I would imagine.

My targets currently are 13.6 idle, 14.2 cruise and 12.8 WOT. I run a +2 ACCEL setting.

I agree
The one fault with the EZ is that they start out really rich just to be on the safe side, until it learns. This has created enough headaches that FAST came up with a new firmware release (version 03) that tackles this problem. Check what firmware you currently have and if you need to, go to:

http://www.fuelairspark.com/Pages/296/Software.aspx

And download both the EZUpdater_03.zip and the instructions.

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/22/11 09:51 PM

Timing was set with a carb (didn't have the $$ for efi). I'll try the plug route first and see what I get. I've got less than 75 miles on this system so I'm guessing i shouldn't worry about the o2 sensor yet
Posted By: BradD

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/23/11 04:44 AM

You may have fouled out that 02 sensor if it has been way rich the entire 75 miles + idling. Would dropping the pressure to about 34-38 lbs. help?
We are putting dual EZ throttle bodies on a 426 Hemi and the tech at FAST said to start at 32lbs.

Brad

Attached picture 6838357-EngineMockup025.jpg
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/23/11 05:21 PM

It seems from reading the OPs replies that he hasn't caught on to the fact that even if he gets it running, with the low temp thermostat that's in there right now, the system will be in "cold-start" mode forever.

There is a minimum water temperature to get the system into normal mode. I'd suggest starting with a 192 degree thermostat.

R.

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/23/11 05:39 PM

I was trying to figure out how to say that without offending ...
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/23/11 07:25 PM

Quote:

I was trying to figure out how to say that without offending ...

I get the same issue as mine will not hit the min even with the fans off most days...

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/23/11 08:07 PM

well i swapped the plugs and it cold started better. after 15 mins of idle time it cut off and wouldn't start. Quick black of carb gumout and it started. Spitted, sputtered and backfired all the way around the neighborhood and almost stalled at every stop sign. At this point the car was finally running around 175-185 degrees. after 10 laps around the hood it had less issues so I took it out to the main road and ran it through the gears. Backfired like a mothertrucker. Pulled into driveway and put it into park car no idles at 1400 rpms not 850.
Posted By: CSK

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/23/11 08:20 PM

at least 180 t stat & make sure the map sensor is on manifold vacume

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/23/11 10:17 PM

Can you run us through how you did the initial set-up with the hand-held? What are your IAC numbers at idle? Where do you have your Key on source power too? These systems are not as "EZ" as it sounds, so the more info the better.

You should not see 1400rpm's unless you have somehow opened the butterfly's on the throttle body or you have some serious interference with your 12v signal.

I never had an issue with my system.....I installed it myself though, so I confidently know where to go if something is a miss. Sounds to me you need to have whomever installed the system, take another go at it.

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/24/11 03:35 AM

did the set up as the computer told me to. Pretty cut and dry. The guy who installed it has installed over 20 system before he got to mine...the problem with having him look at it again is that I moved 800 miles away from where I had it installed. I'll see what happen tomorrow when I get a chance to play with it more between the rain drops. Don't remember IAC numbers will double check tomorrow too.

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/24/11 10:02 PM

Today I checked the plugs after all the backfiring, 2 or three plugs need a little cleaning but now the car won't even start. Turns over and get one good "vroom" then dies. The coil is brand new but maybe I killed it already. This sucks the whole purpose of the efi and new wiring harness was to not pi$$ me off about owning this car
Posted By: Burkenator

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/25/11 01:49 PM

You guys are making me nervous. All I have left is plumbing the fuel system and I will be ready to go.

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/25/11 02:25 PM

let me know how it goes. I'm so frustrated right now I'm thinking of selling the car after 26 years
Posted By: forphorty

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/25/11 05:27 PM

Quote:

let me know how it goes. I'm so frustrated right now I'm thinking of selling the car after 26 years

I've never considered selling a car because of a carburator
Posted By: finadk

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/25/11 07:10 PM

From everything I have read the majority of the problems with these systems relate to power and ground issues. I would go back and confirm the basics first. Power and ground direct from the battery for both the computer and the handheld. Good chassis to motor ground. Good solid connections.

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/25/11 09:51 PM

looks like it may be something with the fuel delivery. Everything else seems in order but I spent 30 mins trying to get the thing to start and it just wouldn't turn over. I put 5 extra gallons of gas in (10 total) and jacked up the rear so it was nose down and got it to start. It ran like crap and felt like it was struggling to stay running. If i held the idle at 1200-1300 rpms it would stay running. Letting it just idle by it's self it would run down to 600 sound like it was going to die then run it's self back up to 1100 for a few seconds before it went through the cycle of winding down then up. Maybe the fuel filters are clogged up?
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/25/11 11:49 PM

you really need to start from scratch - and look at how it was installed.

Go over every nut and bolt of the installation.

Read the directions over and over till it's understood.

( you are complaining about cold starts - well they take the longest to learn ) you need to get it running warm and then the cold starts take care of themselvs

What fuel system are you using? how are you getting fuel to the tank?

what size if the supply AND return lines

are your efi boxes near the ignition at all?

what coil? if stock did you ground the noise filter correctly?

power? direct to battery?

I had mine on over a year and a half - I had a few bugs to work out in the beginning but it has been running strong for over a year and a half now with no issues
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/26/11 12:49 AM

where is the power hooked up at? numerous guys have asked and you refuse to answer this simple question for some reason...

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/26/11 02:52 AM

power is directly to battery and so is negative. 3/8 lines. Computer is mounted just above the high beam switch on the floor. I've gone over all connections and grounds 2 or 3 times. The coil is an MSD masterblaster2, and it is was wired correctly. I had the unit professionally installed to make sure that I didn't screw anything up. At this point I'm thinking of taking off the fuel pump to check the filters and check the filter in the tank to make sure it's not gummed up

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/26/11 04:28 PM

What about your 12V key on source????!!!!! This is one of, if not the most important connection on the system.

If your fuel system is having issues it would be as simple as noticing a serious fuel pressure fluctuation at NO load or under load. We lost a fuel pump early on in our first build and it simply would not run past idle....no backfires or erratic idles....just would not run.
Posted By: 69sixpackbee

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/26/11 05:35 PM

I had the EZ on my BBC in my Chevy truck. It ran decent but was never stellar. I did put it in with a lot of fore thought as I am no novice with EFI systems. After some tuning and driving it got better but I eventually went back to the carb and HEI. Simple is best.

Take heed to everyone's suggestions here as we have "been here and done that"

You will get it sorted out. But, comparing apples to oranges, simplicity will always win me over. Just my $.02
The EZ-EFI is a good system but my next iteration will be a mill and the associated OEM components that work in unison. Enough of the "bolt on" trial and tribulations crap for me.
Good luck,
Bud

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/26/11 09:44 PM

since i didn't wire I'm assuming it's keyed directly to the ignition when I turn my key. The guy who did followed the instructions to the letter
Posted By: furious70

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/26/11 09:45 PM

If you suspect the pump, hook up your battery charger to the car, unhook the return at the tank and put it in a 5 gal can and see how much it will pump in 1 minute. Make sure your battery charger is putting 14v to the battery and that you're getting 13.5v (or at least the same amt of volts you get with the car running) to the pump itself and give it a test.

I ruined my first efi pump quickly cuz of crap in the tank that got stirred up and I neglected to replace the first piece of rubber hose out of the pickup. Packed the pump full of rubber bits.

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/27/11 12:22 PM

Quote:

since i didn't wire I'm assuming it's keyed directly to the ignition when I turn my key. The guy who did followed the instructions to the letter

that didnt work for me - if it in fact is in the fuse box.

it needs to be a direct lead from the battery, via switch or relay -

when you tie the key power into the stock wiring harness, it introduces noise from the ignition system and will never run right,
there is a reading you can get for the interference on the system, its on the 4th page - i dont have it in front of me but look into that reading it will tell you if its a wiring issue.

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/28/11 06:38 PM

keyed directly to the ignition switch, and I'm not getting any error codes. I took pics of my computer at 1400 rpms and a few just at idle, 800 rpms (but set to 900). First 4 pics are at 1400 next for at at 800. do my numbers look normal?

Attached picture 6846420-2011-09-2512.32.39.jpg

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/28/11 06:39 PM

Attached picture 6846421-2011-09-2512.32.50.jpg

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/28/11 06:40 PM

Attached picture 6846423-2011-09-2512.33.00.jpg

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/28/11 06:41 PM

Attached picture 6846424-2011-09-2512.33.19.jpg

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/28/11 06:43 PM

800 rpm 1

Attached picture 6846427-2011-09-2512.37.52.jpg

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/28/11 06:46 PM

Attached picture 6846432-2011-09-2512.38.01.jpg

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/28/11 06:47 PM

Attached picture 6846433-2011-09-2512.38.13.jpg

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/28/11 06:48 PM

Attached picture 6846436-2011-09-2512.38.45.jpg

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/29/11 01:49 AM

Quote:

keyed directly to the ignition switch, and I'm not getting any error codes. I took pics of my computer at 1400 rpms and a few just at idle, 800 rpms (but set to 900). First 4 pics are at 1400 next for at at 800. do my numbers look normal?

My car would not run with it tied direct to the switch - run that direct to the battery and see if it runs - mine was night and day.

get an image of the " INFO " screen - it shows your interference - it will show you

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/29/11 04:23 PM

Quote:

Notice your TPS is at 4%......??? I am guessing this is after you have driven it. This is why you are 1400rpm's. Your throttle is either not returning to neutral position for some reason.

This should not be happening. When its running at 1400, pull the throttle(at the throttle body) back to neutral position. Maybe its hanging up or your spring is failing. If its at neutral position at 1400 then you have some electrical interference. That is dead giveaway when your TPS can't hold 0%.

After looking closer, it looks like these shots are taken while the engine is cold....none the less, the TPS is still something to check. We would like to see what it is doing at temperature.
Posted By: furious70

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/29/11 08:21 PM

depends on where his TPS is set against the stop. My 'idle' TPS position is 20% and WOT is 93%. I have a Ford 5.0 style TB with modified throttle cable arms on mine, not a carb style. My classic fast has parameters for both so it doesn't matter. Don't know how EZ handles it.

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/29/11 10:09 PM

that 1400 was me holding the pedal down so the care wouldn't stall. I pulled the fuel pump and cleaned the filters as well as the sending unit and made sure that was clean. Now if it would stop raining I could probably see if it it helped at all. Does keying it on through the ignition switch cause that much extra noise? I figured as long as it was powered directly through the battery I'd be good to go.

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/29/11 11:02 PM

Yes it does. I would directly wire it to the battery with an on/off switch for now. It's an easy check.

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 09/30/11 11:45 AM

Quote:

Yes it does. I would directly wire it to the battery with an on/off switch for now. It's an easy check.

Thats what I did and it was night and day.

FAST stated, and it was correct that all the " noise" generated from the ignition switch was causing an interference.

Pull a direct feed from the battery and see how it goes - Mine would not run right, and load up until I did that.

and post a picture of the info page - it will show how much interference there is - ( over 20 and its bad )

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 10/03/11 01:02 AM

or

which was it this weekend??

lol

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 10/07/11 11:39 AM

Quote:

or

which was it this weekend??

lol

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 10/07/11 02:33 PM

rained all weekend including monday, and tuesday. I don't have a garage until oct 31 so the car is sitting patiently waiting for a new seal for the gas tank. I pulled the sending unit and electric pump to make sure they were clean (they weren't) and found my seal to have a few little tears in which would probably explain the few drops of gas in the driveway. Hopefully I'll have time saturday to play around

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 10/08/11 09:16 PM

How would you recommend moving the "12v switched on" wire? Just connect it to the battery with an on/off toggle switch? If that's the case would I key the car on first then hit the switch?

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 10/09/11 01:54 AM

Quote:

How would you recommend moving the "12v switched on" wire? Just connect it to the battery with an on/off toggle switch? If that's the case would I key the car on first then hit the switch?

you can run a relay from the swtich, to get away from the noise, or have a toggle switch you have to use after you key power on

rig it direct to the bat, and fire it - i bet it will be night and day and will actually run
Posted By: nihil

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 10/09/11 01:58 PM

Signed up on the board just to subscribe to this thread. I've been considering EZEFI for my `68 Charger R/T with mostly stock 440 (light bore when rebuilt many years ago). Looking forward to seeing how this works out.
Posted By: Strawdawg

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 10/09/11 03:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

you can run a relay from the swtich, to get away from the noise, or have a toggle switch you have to use after you key power on

rig it direct to the bat, and fire it - i bet it will be night and day and will actually run

everything we read, including the FAST manual, say this is imperative. Try his suggestion with a direct connection. Making it switched will be easy if this works...it has to improve the reliability no matter what.

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 10/09/11 09:57 PM

I'll take of this tomorrow...hopefully i'll have my new gas tank seal and will get it fired tomorrow at well

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 10/10/11 10:02 PM

Fired it up after having to jump start it. Took my foot off the gas to unhook the cables and it died. Tried to start it again...not happening. Jumped it again, ran it for about 5 mins with my foot on the gas (1500 rpms) seemed fine until I took my foot off the gas and it died again. Tried to start it battery was dead again. Think I may need a new battery now. Battery was only registering 13.2 volts, not it's usual 14ish

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 10/11/11 12:31 AM

are you still running it through the ignition switch?

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 10/11/11 02:13 AM

put a toggle switch like you guys suggested. I had to drive the car 75 miles with no charging a few months a go and have jump started about 10 times before I got the new wiring harness in

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 10/11/11 11:16 AM

It sounds like the problem lies in the charging system not the EFI.

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 10/11/11 04:08 PM

You are now dealing with a clean 12v signal from the battery and it's telling you the battery is not charged enough for the system, thus it shuts off. You have got to get that charging system figured out before you deal with the EFI system. Watch you did not foul your plugs again holding it at 1500.

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI - 10/11/11 08:09 PM

i think i fried the battery. I had so many electrical problems that I had a whole new wiring harness installed to eliminate electrical issues.

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI (still) - 10/13/11 08:30 PM

So the battery was drained but not dead. I got a good charger on it, cleaned the plugs and it fired up perfectly.....until i took my foot off the gas and it died immediately. 2 more times it did it, so I kept my foot on the gas for about 8 minutes and kept it around 1400-1500 rpms, took my foot off the gas and died. Turned the idle on the car about 2/3 of turn, started, and idled at perfectly at about 1450 rpms. I dropped it in gear and crapped out immediately. I'm low on ideas at this point other than i'm running a stock coil since the first round of electrical issues burned up my masterblaster.

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI (still) - 10/13/11 08:38 PM

What is the battery voltage with the car off? When the car is running at idle? and then with the wipers, headlights, and blower on. If it is not 13.5 or above under all those vconditions you are gonig to have problems.

Honestly it sounds like you have charging, battery, alternator problems that are completly unrelated to the EFI. If they were so bad that you had to replace the harness you have major problems that need to be addressed. It will never run until you sort out your electrical problems. Im surprised that any reputable shop would take your money to install the EZ EFI if the charging system problem was that bad.
Posted By: nihil

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI (still) - 10/13/11 08:41 PM

Have you checked your alternator output? I could see it crapping out at lower RPM due to lack of power for the fuel pump and ignition. Might be worth using another car and breaking out the jumper cables to see if it will run at low rpm/proper idle with a known healthy electrical system behind it.

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI (still) - 10/13/11 08:54 PM

With the car running the battery goes from 13.7-13.9 (that's idling at 1400 rpm). I didn't look at it while not running or with any power options. Alternator is brand new. Kind of got stuck between a rock and hard place when the system was installed. One person installed it then found alot of teh wiring issues, we had to by pass some stuff so I could get it home because I was moving from NC to MA in 4 days and needed to put it on a truck to ship. Once up here a very reputable mechanic and chrylser specialist installed the new wiring harnesses with new alt, voltage regulator, distributor and ignition box.

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI (still) - 10/13/11 11:06 PM

Ok so I had few mins to spare and here's some other info. Battery is at 11.7v when keyed on not starting. When the radio and lights are on it ranges from 13.1-13.5. and here are some pics from the info tab not running first, then running second.

Attached picture 6869914-2011-10-1317.57.12.jpg

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI (still) - 10/13/11 11:07 PM

running

Attached picture 6869915-2011-10-1317.58.32.jpg
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI (still) - 10/14/11 12:22 AM

No personal experience with EZ efi, but, I can't help but wonder if it is related to the charging system/wiring.

Reason for thinking that, I've personally seen several late '90's TRUCKS where the alternator was fine, but the battery was weak/dead (jumped off) and the truck would NOT idle. Even if the truck did manage to start on its own, it would not idle. A fresh battery and the idle came back.

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI (still) - 10/14/11 01:44 AM

if it reads 11.7 with the engine off, then you know you have a bad battery, or a bad case of wiring, or a bad alternator, or...all of the above....

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI (still) - 10/14/11 01:58 AM

i took the battery back to the auto store and they said it's putting out enough volts that they won't replace it. I can always take the gold series out of my jeep and see if it does better. I'll see tomorrow and hopefully things will get better since it's almost time to pack the car up for the winter
Posted By: DmanSRT71

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI (still) - 10/14/11 02:15 AM

No way, get it fixed before you even consider putting it away. 13.5 with the engine running is good. 11.7 with it off is bad. do you have a slow drain with the key off? Always having a dead battery by the time you want to start.

Quote:

i took the battery back to the auto store and they said it's putting out enough volts that they won't replace it. I can always take the gold series out of my jeep and see if it does better. I'll see tomorrow and hopefully things will get better since it's almost time to pack the car up for the winter

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI (still) - 10/14/11 02:25 AM

i've run the battery down to dead a few times before I got the wiring redone. And unfortunatly the auto parts store's little machine says it checks out and won't replace it

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI (still) - 10/14/11 02:53 AM

Hope they load tested the battery properly...but, it should read over 12 with the key on, engine off...so, if the battery is truly ok, then you have wiring problems...
Posted By: patrick

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI (still) - 10/14/11 01:18 PM

Quote:

No personal experience with EZ efi, but, I can't help but wonder if it is related to the charging system/wiring.

Reason for thinking that, I've personally seen several late '90's TRUCKS where the alternator was fine, but the battery was weak/dead (jumped off) and the truck would NOT idle. Even if the truck did manage to start on its own, it would not idle. A fresh battery and the idle came back.

yep, when I had a cell go bad in my old '96 ram's battery, I could jump it and start it, but it would not idle.
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI (still) - 10/14/11 01:19 PM

Quote:

i've run the battery down to dead a few times before I got the wiring redone. And unfortunatly the auto parts store's little machine says it checks out and won't replace it

Slipknot -
I had a similar situation a few years ago with a battery from Autozone. It drained heavily a few times when it was new (I had a relay coil that was wired to be battery hot - OOPS!) and I kept recharging and using it. I fixed the relay issue but my battery trouble continued -- every few weeks, teh battery was dead. (I have a mini-starter so teh car always starts pretty easy even on low voltage).

Had the battery checked by the store a few times, it was always said to be OK. I had them check my alternator, I replaced some suspicious wiring connections, always had battery trouble every few weeks. Put new VR and alt on. Still had trouble. They pointed to teh car repeatedly because it surely couldn't be their battery, 'they hardly ever have them come back'.

Finally -
I charged teh battery fully, wiped all teh dust off of it to prevent old-wives-voltage leakage, and placed it on cardboard on my workbench. It went down below 12v within a week. Went to a different parts store chain, gave them that POS battery as a core, got a new one, and my problems went away.

Now, with all that said...
You've got 13+ volts at 1400+rpm. Even a bad battery is going to hold onto some of that and ramp down after you close the throttle, it's not going to plummet to 11.7 immediately. But the engine dies immediately. If the EZ-EFI is that sensitive to voltage fluctuation then it's a poorly-designed system (I suspect that's not the case, though). EFI designers know that they need to install voltage vs pulsewidth curves for the injectors to allow an engine to keep running for a while if the charging system fails (and also due to voltage fluctuation due to electical loads). I don't see this as your specific problem.

Can you set the idle speed up to 1400 with an adjuster screw? Get it running while holding the throttle, adjust hte screw up to that speed, then back it off slowly and see what happens.

It sounds to me like you have a fuel delivery problem. If it is due to voltage drop, then the injector PW is set so far on the lean side that the reduced voltage cuts the fuel too far. (which would mean 2 problems, really).

But yes, the easiest thing is to swap in a known-good battery for a 15-min experiment.
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI (still) - 10/14/11 02:05 PM

Quote:

The parts store tester and/or the operator there is wrong. Your battery has a bad cell. If you have another location for the chain in your area, go there and try again. If they will not replace it go somewhere else and buy a battery. The brain damage from chasing this problem is not worth the money!
Something that is often overlooked in ignition noise trouble shooting is that the battery acts as a very large filter capacitor. It takes care of the ripple on the output of the alternator diodes, some of the hash from the coil primary from firing and other voltage spikes from switches turning on and off. A bad battery will not filter this noise out.
Craig
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI (still) - 10/14/11 02:28 PM

For the late 90s Rams –
That’s an EFI system that controls spark (EZ doesn’t), probably has a PWM fuel pump and returnless fuel system, and the ECM controls the alternator. As XCraig mentioned, the battery acts as a voltage spike buffer, so I can see how a bad battery might sometimes cause an idling issue, as the ECM is trying to control fuelpump and injector control, Vreg, Idle Air Control, and spark timing on noisy voltage. That’s a more complicated animal than EZ.

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI (still) - 10/15/11 07:49 PM

Ok...I swapped out my battery out for the one in my jeep. It held voltage a lot better but kept dying every time it dropped below 1500 rpms. So I decided to just start a new tune and see what happens. I set the idle to 1000 rpms on the retune and in park it idles at 1250 and in drive it idles at 950-1050 so that's a good start. Next it actually didn't die when I put it in gear. 3rd i drove it around the neighbor hood a few times and it only stalled once at the top of a hill at a complete stop, and i only have like 7 gallons of gas in the tank..so I'll chalk that one up to low fuel. 4th I got it out to the main road and full throttle was a no go, but after the 4th trip down the main road I was able to get it closer to FT without sounding like it was bogging down. And finally my fuel pressure is only getting to about 40 lbs should i turn it up? and i actually started to hear my fuel pump for the first time could that be because i'm low on fuel?

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI (still) - 10/15/11 10:23 PM

Take the pre-pump screen out of the pump and examine it with a magnifying glass to make sure it is not full of microscopic trash...don't think your eyesm alone are good enuf to see it...

You should have 43 psi and the pump will start to make more noise and the pressure will be low if the screen is plugged up.
Posted By: 68_CONV_300

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI (still) - 10/16/11 02:59 PM

With all the trouble you mention of it having at idle it sounds lie it might have an intake leak. did you ever check for one? I think it sounds like you have gone through all of the electrical problems and corrected them. I have an EZ EFI on my car and I can tell you there is no difference in idle RPM when it is in gear compared to in neutral.

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI (still) - 10/16/11 04:07 PM

Cleaned the screens and still holding 40-41. And no intake leaks that I can find. I've got about1 or 2 more weeks before I start winter storage and at least I've got it drivable.
Posted By: Rodeok69

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI (still) - 10/17/11 04:16 AM

I was having the same problems and I got em fixed. My setup is a lot different, but the issues are identical. Your numbers for the IAC are critical. At 800 rpm, your IAC is showing 180, or fully open. So what it's doing is pulling tons of air at idle, which is skewing the AFR to show lean and consequently dumping fuel to compensate and fouling your plugs. It should read around 10 at idle. It is so critical to set your TPS correctly as well as the idle screw for your throttle blades. It will eliminate the majority of what you have going on at idle. Changing fuel pressure will do little or nothing for you. Leave it at 43psi. Don't give up on it. I almost did until I got it right. Now I like it.

Cody

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI (still) - 10/18/11 09:39 PM

got it out today. It's the most fun i've had in a car that doesn't involve sex. I hit 130 in no time at about 85% throttle. I'm going to swap out the plugs for a fresh set this weekend. Unfortunately, I've got a small gas leak somewhere around the tank, if it's not one thing it's another. But at least i've got it running just good enough to have to put it away for the winter
Posted By: Rodeok69

Re: Having issues with my EZ EFI (still) - 10/18/11 11:54 PM

Glad to hear you got it under control!
© 2024 Moparts Forums