Moparts

Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada?

Posted By: triple_green

Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/21/11 09:11 PM

I have recently become interested in the Dodge Mirada. But they seem to be few and far between. I especially like the t-top option, as I had two t-top cars growing up (GMs)and I really like that option.

I understand that they are a fairly light car. How easily can the 318/360s be hot rodded to get a little more horsepower.

Mark
Posted By: 440newport

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/21/11 09:41 PM

I have an '80, and there are a few other members with Miradas as well.

Mine "feels" pretty light to me, but I've never weighed it. People on the race forum say they are 3600lb+, but I'm not sure I believe that. Underneath the skin they are basically the same car as a 1976-89 Aspen/Volare/Diplomat/5th Ave.

Only 1980's came with the 360, 81-83 will either have a slant 6 or 318. The usual hot rod parts apply like they do to any other engine. A 4 barrel intake and carb (if it's a 2bbl) and headers are a good start. Hedman headers part #78050 meant for an A body fit perfectly, that's what I have on mine.

Mine was originally a slant 6, I built a mild 360 for it and swapped the weak 7 1/4 rear for a 8 3/4.

Attached picture 6836485-mirada3.jpg
Posted By: QuickDodge

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/21/11 09:59 PM

I like the Mirada, but prefer the Cordoba. They are a decent car in many respects. It's growing more difficult to find these cars. They did not sell real well, so decent examples are becoming less numerous. Many parts needed for these cars can be found on other Chrysler models of that era. The Mirada specific parts will probably be a little harder to locate.

The chassis is shared with the Diplomat, Grand Fury and Fifth Ave. Suspension pieces off a Diplomat or Grand Fury Cop car will significantly improve handling.

These cars were NOT noted for performance from the factory. I think the slant six was the standard engine. The standard 318 in that time period only had around 140 horsepower. The 360 was only available for 1 or 2 years in the Mirada. It's rare to even see a factory 360 car. Besides the weak engines, the next biggest problem is that most of them had 2.2 or 2.4 ratio rear axles.

If you like the body style, the cars can be significantly improved with a little effort. I'd swap in a stronger 8 1/4 rear axle with better gears. Installing an A500 or 518 Transmission will provide overdrive and retain good highway cruising manners with the new gears. Modifying the engine will depend on your local emission control laws. In many areas it is possible to swap in a magnum 318 or 360. The Magnum engines are fuel injected and often have around 230 horsepower.

When this is all completed, the car should be a great driver with acceptable performance and fuel economy.
Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/21/11 10:57 PM

I have an 80 Cordoba LS. It is a J-body Cordoba, like a Mirada, but no chrome grill, a plastic nose. It looks better that way to me.

A 68-70 B-body 8&3/4 rear axle is a bolt-in upgrade. Schumacher makes mounts for any engine (small block or big block wedge)

Mine feels like a 3400 lb vehicle. If you get underneath and REALLY look at the framerails, they aren't very beefy. It's basically a stretched F-body (Volare/Aspen) floorpan.

Nice styling/bodylines. The last 2 dr rear wheel drive Mopar.

Springs & Things sell HD rear leaf springs that eliminate the "ISO" style sloppy suspension bushings.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/21/11 11:40 PM

I believe there is or was a white one in cars for sale here on moparts recently. Is a white one with the 10 spoke alum rims which is the only cool factory choice of rims on them. Really cool cars. Had an 81 slant mirada with limited options, one of which was the somewhat rare cornering lights, which are nice to have, if you're still one of us that still use signals.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/21/11 11:46 PM

I like them, done up correctly they can be very nice cars. I would probably redo the whole drivetrain. You can stroke a 318 to 390 or a 360 to a 408, so a donor magnum junkyard engine could be a good start. You can put in a 4-speed setup out of a volare/aspen I think. A rear end with some decent gears, a 4-sp F-body od trans with a couple mods and an engine swap and you could have a nice performing, reliable and driveable combo that knocks down some reasonable mpg.
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/22/11 12:28 AM

I like 'em!
Posted By: wingcar

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/22/11 01:17 AM

Check out www.forfmjbodiesonly.com.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/22/11 01:54 AM

I have never owned one, like the looks.
A 392 stroker 318 with a decent set of heads and 4-barrel would do the trick. With a mild cam it'd drive like a regular car until you stood on the gas. Yes, the rear would have to be upgraded.
R.,
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/22/11 03:02 AM

I am a big fan of Miradas. I have owned a few of them. I had an 80 with a 340/727/8 3/4. Ran great and was a very well recieved car locally.

Attached picture 6836959-340mirada.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/22/11 03:05 AM

Also had this 81 T top car with a 318 4 bbl and a 904 out of a 71 Satellite. This car had the stock axle, so it was a pig out of the hole, but ran well after that. This was a 3 year project car that I painted one piece at a time when I worked for the local dodge dealer.

Attached picture 6836964-mirada.jpg
Posted By: sixpack4spd

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/22/11 03:07 AM

My buddy had a Mirada CMX. He rebuilt the 340 from his 70 Duster and stuck it in the Mirada to break it in while he was restoring the Duster. We had a lot of fun in that car.
Posted By: 440child

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/22/11 03:29 AM

I've got a '83 318/904 Mirada, it stands out 'cause there aren't many atound here. The only downer to them is if your quarter panel extensions are busted up there aren't many replacement options for them that I know of. These guys http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/site.htm makes a complete rear fiberglass clip for them, but I don't have any idea how it fits. They're fairly easy to put a big-block in. This article tells about a big-block Diplomat swap, but it'll work in a J or F-body as well. http://www.dippy.org/forum2/index.php/topic,173.0.html Oops, just found out this link will only take you to the forum homepage, but if you'll click on the fourth topic down (The Library) then on Engines: Swaps: Big Block Swaps it'll get you there.
Posted By: newem

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/22/11 03:56 AM

Quote:

I like 'em!

Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/22/11 02:32 PM

Posted By: DaveKanofsky

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/22/11 06:52 PM

I like 'em, we've had a few Miradas and Cordobas.

As you can see from some of the above pics, it looks good with the rear wing from a similar year Trans Am mounted to the trunklid.
Posted By: 440farmer

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/22/11 07:24 PM

I've got an '80 with 440- used the shoemauker(SP) mounts and used c body exaust manifolds that are simalar to the RR ones.
Also had to slightly lower the pass inner fender just above the A-arm cam bolts for exaust manifold.
The only other thing that I can remember is I clearanced the K frame where the filter is (could have gotten by but gave it about 3/8 clearance.
Put a 68 imperial motor in w/50k on it runs REAL good --wife likes it
Kept all A/C hooked up and works great!
We really like the car,still got some more tweeking to do but too busy bailin hay!
Posted By: burdar

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/23/11 03:34 PM

I had an 82 Cordoba I drag raced. I scaled it one day. It was stripped down with one light weight racing seat in it. With no cage it weighed 3400 lbs.
Posted By: patrick

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/23/11 05:17 PM

Quote:

I have an '80, and there are a few other members with Miradas as well.

Mine "feels" pretty light to me, but I've never weighed it. People on the race forum say they are 3600lb+, but I'm not sure I believe that. Underneath the skin they are basically the same car as a 1976-89 Aspen/Volare/Diplomat/5th Ave.

Only 1980's came with the 360, 81-83 will either have a slant 6 or 318. The usual hot rod parts apply like they do to any other engine. A 4 barrel intake and carb (if it's a 2bbl) and headers are a good start. Hedman headers part #78050 meant for an A body fit perfectly, that's what I have on mine.

Mine was originally a slant 6, I built a mild 360 for it and swapped the weak 7 1/4 rear for a 8 3/4.

they are the same chassis and 112.7" wheelbase as the 4 door/wagon F&M bodies, and pre '80 M body 2 doors.

FWIW, my hot rodded M body 5th ave is 3900 lbs without me. of course, the 5 leaf rear springs, bigger front and adding a rear sway bar, A500 OD tranny, and 8 3/4" axle add a bit to it, but the aluminum intake, & ditching the air pump removed a little bit.
Posted By: Magnumguy

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/23/11 07:58 PM

I've had 3 J bodies. 1 Mirada /6 no air, and 2 LS's

Nice cars, but I like the late B bodies better. Great 2nd choice.

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/23/11 11:07 PM

Quote:

I had an 82 Cordoba I drag raced. I scaled it one day. It was stripped down with one light weight racing seat in it. With no cage it weighed 3400 lbs.

Any more info on this one????

Big or small block?
8&3/4" or Dana?
Aluminum wheels, intake or heads??
Posted By: 72N96RR

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/23/11 11:48 PM

I have a cousin that has a 1980 Mirada with the 318...I think it puts out like 150hp...He calls it his muscle car which always makes me chuckle a bit...Heck Corvettes only had 200hp in those days..Buy anyways his car is a beautiful metallic blue with white interior and t tops..Only 35K original miles..He is ruining it as it has not been started in like 8 years..Nor moved an inch... Its garaged on concrete but its still needs to be driven obviously..He wont ever sell it cus he still has the money he got when he was baptized but I might make an effort to get it..

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/24/11 12:26 AM

It would be ruined much faster though, if it sat outside on a nice grassy area, or gravely crappy driveway.. At least being indoors, the quarter extensions have a chance of survival.

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/26/11 06:05 PM

what do you guys think of this car?

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Dodge/Mirada/GORRIE/Ontario/5_11000995_ON20080310093132968/

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/27/11 12:23 AM

Quote:

what do you guys think of this car?

What's the price???

Don't care for T-tops myself. Prone to leakage, squeaks and rattles. It takes some structure out of uni-body cars too.

What is 43k equal to in miles??

Those cars are cool but hard to sell. Buy real at low $$ with the assumption that you will keep it or take a hit.
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/27/11 07:15 AM

My 1980 Cordoba LS weighed 3350 with a 360 and 3550 with a 440.

440 required a K car PB booster. The 727 swap and 1966/1967 B body 8 3/4 rear allowed the rear of a two piece driveshaft out of a late 1970s ClubCab longbox Dodge pickups to slide right in.
The gas tank straps can be loosened and the tank shifted one "indent" to the passenger's side to allow more clearance for dual exhaust.
I ran big block Hedman hedders with the rear tube on the driver's side rerouted.
Spool engine mounts from a big block car worked. So did a Moroso deep pan.

My 8 3/4" rear didn't just bolt in, I had to enlarge the rear locating holes in the pads, took about 5 minutes.

If I could find a local Cordoba LS in good shape I would snap it up! I love them!!

Posted By: goldmember

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? *DELETED* - 09/27/11 07:39 AM

Post deleted by goldmember

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/27/11 10:14 AM

Quote:

LOL! No! I used to kill them on the street with some weak crap. How about a 318 powered 5th Ave? LOL yes my grand father had one and it sucked too! Yes, in that era lots of garbage that I don't miss at all.

Nice! Lots of class.

There are also those of us that wouldn't be caught dead in a formal roof styled 4 dr, even if you gave it to us, and we don't pollute a 5th Ave. thread IF there ever is one.

Obviously not a fan....OK. But it was Chryslers last rwd 2dr sport coupe.
Posted By: burdar

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/27/11 02:32 PM

Quote:

Any more info on this one????

Big or small block?
8&3/4" or Dana?
Aluminum wheels, intake or heads??

360/904
8&3/4 rear 4.10 gears
aluminum intake with stock ported heads
Cheap 14" wheels from summit on the front...15" on the rear. 29x10.5 Hoosiers
Posted By: IronWolf

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/27/11 05:30 PM

I had an '80 Dodge Mirada I purchased in '84. I sold it in '91 (bought a Chrysler LeBaron GTS turbo)

I had the Slant Six which I converted to "Super Six" status within a year. I blew up the 7 1/4 rear - so avoid those. I also "modded" the trans to delay the torque converter engagement. That made an improvement in performance.

It was a comfortable, safe car. There were pretty dismal wiring and quality issues, though. Also, the rear "rubber bumpers" get destroyed in hot climates. I had to replace mine, but they were cheap back then.

It's a comfortable car, too, and I never heard complaints from the rear passengers. Another thing - with the Slant 6, I got pretty decent gas mileage even with the Super 6 2 barrel (I specified '68 318 carb)
Posted By: Diplomat360

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/29/11 04:22 AM

What??? Mopar crowd recognizing a F/J/M body???

LOL

Alright...stop wielding your torque wrenches at me all you hard-core old-style Mopar guys...I like the old stuff to...hey, come to think of it, anything in the late '70s and early '80s is OLD stuff as well.

As others have mentioned, these cars share the same uni-body platform. If you want drag racing, you can make a nice stroker engine work well in these cars...change some suspension pieces (most get rid of the soft ISO rear leaf setups). If you want handling in a street car, well, you can go looking for some of the bigger/HD parts that used to come on the fleet cars (taxi, cop, etc). They are out there...

I am an M-body guy myself, but the J-body always looked good to me...sort of actually a 'mean' look to these things...mean, but meaning business...so a well done ride could really hold some promise!
Posted By: mcmopars

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/29/11 10:10 PM

does anyone else think they look like monte carlos?

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/29/11 11:43 PM

I dunno, they had like a late seventies T bird look to them. The roofline maybe.
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/30/11 06:19 AM

Quote:

does anyone else think they look like monte carlos?

I raced allll the time in my Cordoba LS, lots of people thought my car was a Monte Carlo, but the vast majority of people called it a "Grand National".

Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/30/11 01:58 PM

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/30/11 04:56 PM

1982 was the year I bought my first and only new car. I was 23 yo. It is interesting back then that I never even considered a Mirada. I was focused on the new Firebird body style. Much more modern looking than the Mirada at that time.

But now I see the Mirada as a decent looking, light weight, car that you don't see a lot of (unlike the firebirds and camaros). It is also relatively inexpensive as collector cars go. Also I really want a t-top car.

I will be forced to sell my convertible project, and one of these might just be in my future..

Thanks for the input....
Posted By: Commando1

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 09/30/11 06:07 PM

Quote:

I am an M-body guy myself

I LOVE this car.

Posted By: Remy-Z

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 01/16/12 10:37 PM

[IMGhttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/Remy-Z/DSC01282.jpg[/IMG]

Yeah, I like 'em ok.
Posted By: MiradaBill

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 07/21/17 02:18 PM

I have a 1982 Mirada with 360 installed for sale. Very nice car lot of good work done A/C blows cold new compreser new condenser expansion valve dryer filter. Rebuilt steering box 8 1/4 rear Mickey Thompson tires Crager 500's
Posted By: 71charger

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 07/21/17 03:21 PM

I tried to buy one new in '80. Every V8 car on the local lots had that terrible fake convertible top and all the ones that looked the way I liked were slant six cars. I was only 22, so the salesmen weren't taking me seriously. I wound up buying a '68 Barracuda convertible from a used car dealer instead. I quickly realized I liked the idea of owning a convertible a lot more than actually owning a convertible and wound up with an '80 LeBaron Medallion coupe. Still like the Miradas though.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 07/21/17 07:48 PM

I think they look sharp if dressed in the right color. Performance? We don't need no stinkin' performance! Seriously, my Hyundai Elantra DD would beat a stock Mirada easily.

R.
Posted By: Joe12459

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 07/22/17 12:12 AM

That's why you have to put a Gen 3 Hemi in one. Makes a real fun car to drive, and most people don't even know what it is!
Originally Posted By dogdays
I think they look sharp if dressed in the right color. Performance? We don't need no stinkin' performance! Seriously, my Hyundai Elantra DD would beat a stock Mirada easily.

R.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Any Fans of the Dodge Mirada? - 07/22/17 12:23 AM

Yes, I always liked the looks of the Mirada. Cool car. Then again I like the Volare/Aspen too.
© 2024 Moparts Forums