Moparts

hemi orange engine paint? spray can for touch up?

Posted By: meepmeep70

hemi orange engine paint? spray can for touch up? - 09/21/11 08:55 PM

hello,tried totally auto,they will not have any for a couple weeks at least,needing a can for touch up,so who else? please
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: hemi orange engine paint? spray can for touch up? - 09/21/11 09:03 PM

I think the brand was dupont...or duplicolor...whoever the local discount auto parts guys stock.

they have an entire shelf of engine paint, one of the colors was "hemi orange" and it's what I painted my big block with. to me, the color was darn near perfect...but not sure how it would actually compare if it's sitting next to REAL factory engine paint.

Re: hemi orange engine paint? spray can for touch up? - 09/21/11 09:24 PM

thanks Tom,i'll give the autozone a try if nobody chimes in with a vendor
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: hemi orange engine paint? spray can for touch up? - 09/21/11 09:59 PM

Use the same brand and color code type that it was painted with originally.

Every brand is a slightly different color.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...&PHPSESSID=
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: hemi orange engine paint? spray can for touch up? - 09/22/11 01:31 AM

I used the duplicolor hemi orange from the parts store on my junk,that way all the touch up stays the same as time goes by.

rustoleum has a single stage hemi orange if your wanting a qaurt to spray on the engine,it works very well and holds up good.

done the engine in the mud truck with some tractor paint that was a hemi orange..or close to it anyways,its tuff as nails,we went ahead and painted the whole truck with it.

the plasticoat is ok but I had better luck and had to touch up less often with the duplicolor.

remeber with any paint..result will vary.

just noticed your title also

Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: hemi orange engine paint? spray can for touch up? - 09/22/11 01:38 AM

Quote:

Use the same brand and color code type that it was painted with originally.

Every brand is a slightly different color.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...&PHPSESSID=

And along that line of thought MOST of them are "pretty" but not the 100% correct shade of orange the factory sprayed, so if you are trying to match original paint you'll likely need a special custom match made up to your original paint, a match is not very likely with an off the shelf mix.

If you are doing the entire engine the closest match to original I've seen is sold by Frank Badelson in pints and quarts, the color also varied by year, 1964-1968 was Race Hemi Orange (with some possible early 69 cars getting it as well) and 1969-1971 was Street Hemi Orange.

Posted By: JohnRR

Re: hemi orange engine paint? spray can for touch up? - 09/22/11 01:43 AM

Darren what did you use originally to paint the engine ? That is what you should use because as noted they are all different ...
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: hemi orange engine paint? spray can for touch up? - 09/22/11 02:01 AM

the colors are all over the place. mopar's paint has changed color,again; duplicolor is different, so is plasticoat. i just went thru this a couple of weeks ago. real mess!
Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: hemi orange engine paint? spray can for touch up? - 09/22/11 05:55 AM

Quote:

the colors are all over the place. mopar's paint has changed color,again; duplicolor is different, so is plasticoat. i just went thru this a couple of weeks ago. real mess!

I agree....if you do not get several cans from the same batch they do not seem to match. I have bought the same Mopar Performance paint code at different times and it is not even close to matching a previous batch. This is always a battle. Hard to believe colors can be this hard to duplicate by "professional" paint producers.

Re: hemi orange engine paint? spray can for touch up? - 09/22/11 11:59 PM

thanks guys,John used mopaints,which is now KUSTOM KOLORS can't seem to get anything but a answering maching from them,sadly it is just touch up not the whole engine,looks like i'll be playing with colors this weekend,but as always thank you guys
© 2024 Moparts Forums