Moparts

buffing glass (scratches/sandblast)

Posted By: RebelDart

buffing glass (scratches/sandblast) - 09/17/11 04:32 PM

I got a few spots of "overspray" while sand blasting areas of the car - can these areas be sanded/buffed ? Any advise in the process ?
Posted By: GLR

Re: buffing glass (scratches/sandblast) - 09/17/11 04:37 PM

It is very hard to remove scratches , and when the glas has been etched by a sandblaster, Well..I would replace the glass.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: buffing glass (scratches/sandblast) - 09/17/11 04:43 PM

Windshields buff "easier" than other glass because they are not tempered (they are laminated). I say easier, but its not easy.

Tempered glass is extremely difficult.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: buffing glass (scratches/sandblast) - 09/17/11 05:36 PM

Quote:

It is very hard to remove scratches , and when the glas has been etched by a sandblaster, Well..I would replace the glass.

this , you pretty much ruined the glass
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: buffing glass (scratches/sandblast) - 09/18/11 01:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

yup...
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: buffing glass (scratches/sandblast) - 09/18/11 02:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Agreed,
live with it or toss it and find another one.

BTW, don't bother with the Eastwood glass polishing kits.
I bought one and it's a complete waste of $50
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: buffing glass (scratches/sandblast) - 09/18/11 02:55 PM

It sounds like you have to take it out anyway to clean the glass tracks, they are full of sand.
Real bad move blasting anything other than completely bare car/shell.
Posted By: MLR426

Re: buffing glass (scratches/sandblast) - 09/19/11 03:54 PM

I just had the door glasses in my 71 cuda convertible surface finished by a professional in Michigan. I had all the surface imperfections /scratches removed and Dave Walden reapplied the date code marking in the corners. Although very expensive to have done I now have perfect glass in my convertible and will no longer receive a points deduction during professional judging. Real nice original glass is impossible to find especially for an e-body convertible. In order to remove the scratches correctly with out causing ripples in the glass the entire surface of the glass has to be worked and this requires a lot of hours cutting. My door glass took 6 hours and my passenger side took 17 hours.

logan426
© 2024 Moparts Forums