Moparts

2008 Dodge 1500 slow taking fuel?

Posted By: Dodgeman67

2008 Dodge 1500 slow taking fuel? - 09/03/11 07:04 PM

I have a 2008 1500 Quad cab with a 4.7.

When I first got it the charcoal canister by the tank had water in it and I couldn't get gas to go in it, the fitting that goes to the canister was broke. I ended up removing the canister and running the vent up and it worked for a while but now I'm back to barely being able to get fuel to go in it.

Has anyone had the same problem and how can I fix it.

Thanks for any help,

Jeff

Re: 2008 Dodge 1500 slow taking fuel? - 09/03/11 10:59 PM

Has anyone had the same problem?
Posted By: ralphie361

Re: 2008 Dodge 1500 slow taking fuel? - 09/03/11 11:25 PM

Chrysler put out a TSB on that problem, it was kind of across the board. It basically says that you shoud unhook the vent tube, the evap line, the evap canister separately and try refilling until you find the cause. They said there is a filter in that sytem also that could be plugged.

Re: 2008 Dodge 1500 slow taking fuel? - 09/03/11 11:28 PM

Ok, thanks for the heads up.

Could you by pass the canister?

I run a mail route and it's mostly gavel and my truck takes a beating underneath it, the canister won't last on mine.
Posted By: ralphie361

Re: 2008 Dodge 1500 slow taking fuel? - 09/03/11 11:37 PM

Might be worth a shot, I'm not sure if it would cause a code to come up, or some drivability issues. Make sure if you bypass it to plug or loop the lines or you will definately get a code for evap leak.

Re: 2008 Dodge 1500 slow taking fuel? - 09/04/11 03:00 AM

If memory serves me correct I think I jumped the wires in the plug going to the canister or the small valve or whatever the part was that broke off on it. It's showing a code but I haven't check to see what it is.

This is my mail deliver truck and it has to go to work. I need to do a Dodge commercial with the stuff I put my trucks through.

When I last worked on it I thought the vent was good, it's a pretty big line and you can smell strong gas smell out of it. I hooked it back to the line running to the front of the truck, so it shouldn't have any issues.

It can be dead on empty and put the gas nozzle in it and it will boil out the filler neck.
Posted By: 75DART440

Re: 2008 Dodge 1500 slow taking fuel? - 09/04/11 05:07 AM

Must be a Dodge mail vehicle thing. I run a mail route with a 2005 Hemi Durango, and when refueling (every other day)gas will spit out the neck, I put in another $10, gas spits again, add another 8 or 9 bucks to finish filling it. At $3.65 per gallon, that's 5 gallons after it spits it out the first time.
By the way, we should talk about those Dodge commercials, lol. One of the spots on my route that requires me to turn around on a narrow road is best acomplished by crossing the ditch with 2 wheels, going partly up an embankment, and re-crossing the ditch with the wheels turned full lock. Lotsa fun in the winter with a foot of snow.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: 2008 Dodge 1500 slow taking fuel? - 09/04/11 09:34 AM

Quote:

Must be a Dodge mail vehicle thing. I run a mail route with a 2005 Hemi Durango, and when refueling (every other day)gas will spit out the neck, I put in another $10, gas spits again, add another 8 or 9 bucks to finish filling it. At $3.65 per gallon, that's 5 gallons after it spits it out the first time.
By the way, we should talk about those Dodge commercials, lol. One of the spots on my route that requires me to turn around on a narrow road is best acomplished by crossing the ditch with 2 wheels, going partly up an embankment, and re-crossing the ditch with the wheels turned full lock. Lotsa fun in the winter with a foot of snow.

Our 05 hemi durango did the same thing, it would fill fine but like you said, would spill all over the ground when full.
The local Dodge dealer replaced the whole gas tank under a recall even though we bought ours used with 50K miles on it. It fixed the problem, no more spilling when filling!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums