Nitto NT555R Tires

Posted By: 6bblFLASH

Nitto NT555R Tires - 09/01/11 12:45 PM

Anyone use them?
How fast?
Would you buy them again?
Posted By: 471Magnum

Re: Nitto NT555R Tires - 09/01/11 06:49 PM

I ran them on my 69 Charger for quite a while. Great dual purpose tire that prioritizes street performance over strip.

If you're wanting to go as quick as possible on a drag radial, it's not your best choice. But if you want to run a lot of highway miles, in some respects, it's you're only choice. They have speed (V or Z) and treadwear (100) ratings whereas other drag radials do not.

I drove an entire Hot Rod Power Tour on a set, much of it in the rain, and was very pleased with the performance. Took the car to the strip on several occasions and they hook WAY better than BFG T/As. (T/A's suck in the rain too).
Posted By: ademon

Re: Nitto NT555R Tires - 09/01/11 07:43 PM

I love mine, my BFG T/A's were toast at about 8K, so if these last the same with way better traction I'll be happy, I'm running a 360 with about 400hp and a dynamic 9.5" TC, 4,400rpm flash, Demon ran a 12.22 first and only time out with a 1.66 60' on slicks, haven't run the Nittos at the track but on the street leaning on the converter i get very minimal spin maybe 2 or 3 revolutions.

Attached picture 6805741-demonnew003(1280x853).jpg
Posted By: ademon

Re: Nitto NT555R Tires - 09/01/11 07:45 PM

2nd

Attached picture 6805742-demonnew010(640x427).jpg
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Nitto NT555R Tires - 09/01/11 09:52 PM

Excellent street manners with incredible street traction. No track time on them yet.

Attached picture 6805946-IMG_1538(Large).JPG
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Nitto NT555R Tires - 09/03/11 06:32 PM

Quote:

I ran them on my 69 Charger for quite a while. Great dual purpose tire that prioritizes street performance over strip.

If you're wanting to go as quick as possible on a drag radial, it's not your best choice. But if you want to run a lot of highway miles, in some respects, it's you're only choice. They have speed (V or Z) and treadwear (100) ratings whereas other drag radials do not.

I drove an entire Hot Rod Power Tour on a set, much of it in the rain, and was very pleased with the performance. Took the car to the strip on several occasions and they hook WAY better than BFG T/As. (T/A's suck in the rain too).

I would have to go the opposite way on this. I ran some 555rs on my mustang while they worked great on the street they were scary in the rain. I went to a BFG Radial TA in the same size(275/50/15) and they worked much better on the track and had good wet weather perofmance and I needed that because it was my DD. They didn't hook near as good as the nittos on the street though. And I loved the look of the 555rs smooth sidewall when it was shined up.

I ended up with a 1.85 60ft on the radial TAs with a 5-speed mustang, about a tenth better than I could do with the 555rs and only a 10th slower than slicks. The little 306 bogged pretty bad on the slicks though so its not a real good comparison.
Posted By: 471Magnum

Re: Nitto NT555R Tires - 09/03/11 07:35 PM

Quote:

I ended up with a 1.85 60ft on the radial TAs with a 5-speed mustang, about a tenth better than I could do with the 555rs and only a 10th slower than slicks. The little 306 bogged pretty bad on the slicks though so its not a real good comparison.

I could see a stick car potentially doing better with the T/As. A little tire spin is better than slipping the clutch or a bog.

For grip though, Nittos were WAY better on my Charger with the auto. No 60 ft times to compare, but I always had to walk it out of the hole with the T/As. Full throttle just resulted in blowing the tires off. Nittos could handle full throttle with minimal spin.

Once I converted the car to a stick, I never really did get it to launch well. With the Nittos, I had more traction than clutch. Installed a Slide-A-Link to control the wheel hop, and then I started having clutch problems. Sold the car before I got sorted out completely.

Mustangs are pretty scary in the rain no matter what tire you've got on them. I've owned a couple.
Posted By: deansrr

Re: Nitto NT555R Tires - 09/04/11 01:35 AM

look into a General G-Max AS, not for sure what you want them for, but my customers have been very happy with them
© 2024 Moparts Forums