Moparts

How much HP will new Chally take?

Posted By: BobAsh

How much HP will new Chally take? - 10/02/08 12:01 AM

My friend just bought a '08 Chally and he's thinking about upgrading it with supercharger - it should make something like 570hp after that. Is it safe for the rest of the drivetrain?
Posted By: ahy

Re: How much HP will new Chally take? - 10/02/08 12:15 AM

MOPAR action did an article on power upgrades to a Charger. If the Challenger is about the same, which it probably is, hooking (slicks) with power much above stock will snap the axle shafts. Upgraded shafts are available. It would be worth getting a copy of the article.
Posted By: challenger70

Re: How much HP will new Chally take? - 10/02/08 12:19 AM

Quote:

MOPAR action did an article on power upgrades to a Charger. If the Challenger is about the same, which it probably is, hooking (slicks) with power much above stock will snap the axle shafts. Upgraded shafts are available. It would be worth getting a copy of the article.

XV claimed/claims the stock engine components (rods) are only good for 500hp. These days things are only built as strong as they need to be not much more.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: How much HP will new Chally take? - 10/02/08 12:44 AM

Quote:

XV claimed/claims the stock engine components (rods) are only good for 500hp.

That for the 5.7, the 6.1 or both?
Posted By: challenger70

Re: How much HP will new Chally take? - 10/02/08 12:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

No idea, I got the video of all their speed channel clips because I am probably going to go with there level 1 setup on my Charger, and they were talking about all the upgraded parts they are making for the new hemis, and they claimed the stock rods/bolts were "reliable" to approx 500hp, not sure if that is 6.1, 5.7 or both, do they use different rods?.
Posted By: mike s

Re: How much HP will new Chally take? - 10/02/08 01:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yep,both. No room with the pistons or con rods.
Posted By: AlexP

Re: How much HP will new Chally take? - 10/02/08 03:29 AM

I work for a company that builds 3g Hemi's.

I wouldn't use a supercharger on a stock shortblock 5.7 or 6.1.

The pistons don't have material thicknesses to handle boost, one mistake tuning or a tank of bad gas while under boost and it will pop.

PM me for more details.

Posted By: BobAsh

Re: How much HP will new Chally take? - 10/03/08 03:28 PM

Well, I talked to the guy and he's leaving it stock - I told him that if he wants a fast car, it's much better for him to buy something old and build that, than to mess with brand new '08 SRT-8 (which he probably wants to keep forever).
Thanks you all for the info!
Posted By: KMPX2

Re: How much HP will new Chally take? - 10/03/08 04:33 PM

At this time Chrysler has not shipped any Manual trans Challengers because of axles breaking
Posted By: FarDarter

Re: How much HP will new Chally take? - 10/03/08 04:38 PM

Well maybe if the damn thing didn't weigh 2 plus tons...
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: How much HP will new Chally take? - 10/03/08 05:03 PM

I tell you one thing I broke 2 rears in my 95, 5.2 5 Speed Dakota and that was only w/ about maybe 260hp. W/ all the hp and torque something would break. I think he was smart to leave it alone. I think he'd be better off upgrading the exhaust, air box and maybe monky w/ the computer to pick up a few ponies.
Posted By: Scott Carl

Re: How much HP will new Chally take? - 10/03/08 06:27 PM

What are we talkin here? 40k plus?? I wouldn't touch it at least until the warranty expired Not sure how warranties go nowadays, (haven't had anything new for years ) but it used to be, you'd void the warrenty if you put and oil additive in the didn't say MOPAR on the label.
Posted By: MikeCompTA 57

Re: How much HP will new Chally take? - 10/03/08 08:28 PM

Quote:

At this time Chrysler has not shipped any Manual trans Challengers because of axles breaking

That's not true! My local dealer has one on the show room floor.

On a side note.....my SRT8 Charger runs 11.80's on STOCK half shafts.
© 2024 Moparts Forums