Moparts

'72+ e-body firewall...what are those things?

Posted By: 2fast4yourBrain

'72+ e-body firewall...what are those things? - 08/30/11 06:11 AM

Always wondered what those two things on the firewall are for???

Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: '72+ e-body firewall...what are those things? - 08/30/11 11:30 AM

IIRC that's the NOX emission system, also found on some 71 Cali cars
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: '72+ e-body firewall...what are those things? - 08/30/11 12:07 PM

Quote:

IIRC that's the NOX emission system, also found on some 71 Cali cars

N-95 cars
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: '72+ e-body firewall...what are those things? - 08/30/11 02:08 PM

The device on the left is the temperature control for the EGR valve. It stops pulling exhaust gas through the intake manifold when the engine reaches operating temperature. The one on the right is Oriface Spark Advance Control (OSAC) valve. It limits advance to the distributer until the engine warms up.
Craig
Posted By: dtedler

Re: '72+ e-body firewall...what are those things? - 08/30/11 08:45 PM

Look at that photo? Was that a factory location for the coil? I've never seen one mounted that way before.
Posted By: burdar

Re: '72+ e-body firewall...what are those things? - 08/30/11 09:00 PM

Quote:

The device on the left is the temperature control for the EGR valve. It stops pulling exhaust gas through the intake manifold when the engine reaches operating temperature. The one on the right is Oriface Spark Advance Control (OSAC) valve. It limits advance to the distributer until the engine warms up.

How sure are you that this is correct?

The EGR control valve (I thought) stopped the EGR valve from opening when the engine was cold. It let the valve open once the engine was up to temp.

I thought I read that the OSAC valve delays the spark advance. Once the throttle is depressed, the spark isn't advanced for 3-5 seconds.

I believe ALL 73 and 74 cars got the OSAC (NOX)valve.(318 and 340/360) In 73 it was mounded on the firewall. In 74 it was moved to the air cleaner.

Only 318's got the EGR control valve.(in 73 at least) 340's didn't get an EGR valve in 73. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Only early 73's had the temp valve mounted on the firewall. Later cars had it moved somewhere else. Even the 340 cars didn't have that block-off plate on the firewall. That hole wasn't even punched on the later cars.
Posted By: burdar

Re: '72+ e-body firewall...what are those things? - 08/30/11 09:11 PM

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/emissions.html

It says in this link that the NOX valve delays the advance by 15 seconds...not the 3-5 seconds that I posted above.

As far as the smaller EGR control valve, 74's also used a temp valve on the radiator. The one on the firewall must not be temp sensitive but must just delay the vacume signal to the EGR valve.
© 2024 Moparts Forums