Moparts

how do I remove a burned on headgasket?

Posted By: west

how do I remove a burned on headgasket? - 08/29/11 07:51 PM

I have a 4 cyl head that the gasket is baked on and I am having a hard time scraping it off. Any suggestions or tips?
I am almost ready to put aircraft stripper on it but I am not sure about that.
Posted By: ditchdrift

Re: how do I remove a burned on headgasket? - 08/29/11 08:07 PM

i use a really sharp wood chisel, and be really careful if the block or head is aluminum. Then i hit it with some 150 grit sand paper to take off the little bit thats left. Honda's are really bad about this.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: how do I remove a burned on headgasket? - 08/29/11 08:30 PM

need one of those round green discs that chuck onto your drill, forget what they are called/havent used one in years/hardware store would immed know
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: how do I remove a burned on headgasket? - 08/29/11 08:37 PM

scotchbrite disc with the mini air angle grinder

i also like to use a stright wire brush thats about 1" round and very stiff in the mini grinder.

I use the brush to de-carbon the combustion chambers and valves before R&R them as well.

when the scotchbrite wont cut it then its to the wire brush or wire wheel.

use air to blow cyls clean or a shop vac them out.

they do make a spray gasket remover also,you can find it at napa for a few bux.

good luck and ez on the loony-um

Re: how do I remove a burned on headgasket? - 08/29/11 08:40 PM

I have scotchbrite pads and a wire wheel but was worried about keeping the surface flat.
I guess I'll just be careful. should be a fun day
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: how do I remove a burned on headgasket? - 08/29/11 08:44 PM

I would not use the wire wheel, it will take off material. What Scratchn said they are scotchbrite sanding discs & are non metallic & do work well/fast. The gasket remover spray works fairly well if you let it set/work for 5 minutes but is nasty stuff 2 deal w
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: how do I remove a burned on headgasket? - 08/29/11 08:59 PM

Is it iron or aluminum?

First thing I'll try with a cly head is to use my heated pressure washer on it out in the parking lot. You get wet but the head get's clean.

I like to use these also if need be, got to be careful.

Some guys will come on here and tell you how they will screw things up?
Moderation works for me.

Posted By: RodStRace

Re: how do I remove a burned on headgasket? - 08/29/11 09:21 PM

Ship it out to the machine shop, have them deal with it, check the surface for flatness and pressure test it all at once!

Really, how much is your time worth?

P.S. Oven cleaner for short periods of time gets tough stuff off. Do not leave overnight!
Posted By: hemi71x

Re: how do I remove a burned on headgasket? - 08/29/11 09:45 PM

Quote:

need one of those round green discs that chuck onto your drill, forget what they are called/havent used one in years/hardware store would immed know

Attached picture 6800931-3MPads.jpg
Posted By: therocks

Re: how do I remove a burned on headgasket? - 08/29/11 10:09 PM

The green ones are made for aluminum.The regular disc can remove metal quick if you arent used to them.Ive seen a few guys grind aluminum parts deep trying to clean them with the reg discs.Use some green ones and be safe.Rocky
Posted By: GwaiiEagle

Re: how do I remove a burned on headgasket? - 08/29/11 11:26 PM

Quote:

The green ones are made for aluminum.The regular disc can remove metal quick if you arent used to them.Ive seen a few guys grind aluminum parts deep trying to clean them with the reg discs.Use some green ones and be safe.Rocky

I had a thread about this a few months back.

Use the plastic bristle ones for anything to do with aluminum heads.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: how do I remove a burned on headgasket? - 08/29/11 11:38 PM

Just remember, you CAN screw the surface up when using the roloc "cookies", on iron or aluminum. Don't go nuts, and keep all the debris clear of crankcase as you grind.

Re: how do I remove a burned on headgasket? - 08/29/11 11:42 PM

Quote:

Ship it out to the machine shop, have them deal with it, check the surface for flatness and pressure test it all at once!

Really, how much is your time worth?

P.S. Oven cleaner for short periods of time gets tough stuff off. Do not leave overnight!

my discs were not cutting it,I even tried aircraft stripper to no avail. I took your advice and am going to let the machinist deal with it.Thanks to you and everyone else that offered some help.
Posted By: Commando1

Re: how do I remove a burned on headgasket? - 08/30/11 12:32 PM

Quote:

I took your advice and am going to let the machinist deal with it.Thanks to you and everyone else that offered some help.

Give it one last shot soaking it with acetone and using a real gasket scraper. Cheap enough where it's dumb not to try.
It worked for me.
© 2024 Moparts Forums