Moparts

WHEN WAS THE 426 CROSSRAM DISCONTINUED

Posted By: Craig61

WHEN WAS THE 426 CROSSRAM DISCONTINUED - 08/24/11 01:49 AM

The question I have is I have 1965 plymouth belvedere with a 440 in it. What would look and perform the best? The crossram with the dual quads or the Six Pack. Realizing the 1965 had no special carb setups or did they have dual quad setup. Just I always found dual quads to not be worth the money . But the crossram is cool looking .When did the crossram carb setup be discontinued by Mopar ?
Posted By: topside

Re: WHEN WAS THE 426 CROSSRAM DISCONTINUED - 08/24/11 02:38 AM

If you mean the Max Wedges, that was over with mid-model-year in the '64 model run when the Hemis were introduced.
There's an article around, maybe in the Archives here, where someone did a comparison of various intakes on an RB motor.
Posted By: 383man

Re: WHEN WAS THE 426 CROSSRAM DISCONTINUED - 08/24/11 06:27 AM

From what I have read about dyno testing the 6pk setup makes more hp then the crossram does on the wedge engines. Even a good modern single four intake will make more hp then the crossram from what I have read. The crossram is 45 year old technology and is definetly cool but it is outdated. It seems the 6pk setup will make just about as much hp as a good single plane intake with a good carb will make or close to it. But the crossram seemed to be about 50 or more hp down. In 1963 the crossram was state of the art but not today. The last year I remember it was on the 1968 Hemi Cuda's and Dart's. I really want to run the crossram on my 63 because of the cool factor but for now I run a single four since it seems to make more power. But once I get my new eng dailed in I hope to go back to a crossram setup and see how good I can get it to run. I am using the Indy dual plane intake on my street/strip 493 as it makes a good street/strip intake with good low end and good top end for a dual plane. It has Max Wedge ports and looks like an eddy RPM on steroids ! Ron

Posted By: lewtot184

Re: WHEN WAS THE 426 CROSSRAM DISCONTINUED - 08/24/11 01:30 PM

as an alternative to the cross ram or expensive 6-paks the edelbrock ch28 will flow more air than a stock cross ram. mopar performance came out with a revised cross ram that flows more air than the old one. there are options.

Attached picture 6792673-100_0087.jpg
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: WHEN WAS THE 426 CROSSRAM DISCONTINUED - 08/24/11 01:55 PM

Quote:

From what I have read about dyno testing the 6pk setup makes more hp then the crossram does on the wedge engines. Even a good modern single four intake will make more hp then the crossram from what I have read. The crossram is 45 year old technology and is definetly cool but it is outdated. It seems the 6pk setup will make just about as much hp as a good single plane intake with a good carb will make or close to it. But the crossram seemed to be about 50 or more hp down. In 1963 the crossram was state of the art but not today. The last year I remember it was on the 1968 Hemi Cuda's and Dart's. I really want to run the crossram on my 63 because of the cool factor but for now I run a single four since it seems to make more power. But once I get my new eng dailed in I hope to go back to a crossram setup and see how good I can get it to run. I am using the Indy dual plane intake on my street/strip 493 as it makes a good street/strip intake with good low end and good top end for a dual plane. It has Max Wedge ports and looks like an eddy RPM on steroids ! Ron

Ron , don't tell that to Ed Cook ...
Posted By: meathead66

Re: WHEN WAS THE 426 CROSSRAM DISCONTINUED - 08/24/11 03:06 PM

AndyF did an extensive comparison on the CH28. Very interesting article.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/1007phr_big_block_mopar_engines/index.html

Re: WHEN WAS THE 426 CROSSRAM DISCONTINUED - 08/24/11 05:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I would love for the crossram to make the most hp as I would definetly go with one. But from what I have heard it looses power over the single four and 6pk. But this is what I have read and heard it is not written in stone and I wish it was wrong. Ron
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: WHEN WAS THE 426 CROSSRAM DISCONTINUED - 08/24/11 07:32 PM

hughe's has done some manifold flow testing. i think the old cross ram can be helped by opening the interconnection between the two plenums. the new manifold flows more air.

Re: WHEN WAS THE 426 CROSSRAM DISCONTINUED - 08/24/11 08:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I would love for the crossram to make the most hp as I would definetly go with one. But from what I have heard it looses power over the single four and 6pk. But this is what I have read and heard it is not written in stone and I wish it was wrong. Ron

Ed says he is making just over 800HP , is that not enough ?
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: WHEN WAS THE 426 CROSSRAM DISCONTINUED - 08/24/11 10:15 PM

And Ed's manifold is stock and unmodified. 3800 lbs car will run 136 mph in the 1/4 with 800 Hp, Ed has been within 2 mph of that figure. Yes I would say he is very surely in that neck of the woods. The other thing is the cross rams are great torque producers which is a very good thing for a heavy car.
Posted By: HPMike

Re: WHEN WAS THE 426 CROSSRAM DISCONTINUED - 08/25/11 12:05 AM

Re: WHEN WAS THE 426 CROSSRAM DISCONTINUED - 08/25/11 12:05 AM

Quote:

And Ed's manifold is stock and unmodified.

Don't know , don't care ...

Re: WHEN WAS THE 426 CROSSRAM DISCONTINUED - 08/25/11 12:42 AM

Just wanted to make it clear you are not likely to make 800 HP with a stock unmodified cross ram as John insinuated could be done. Carry on with your crap slinging.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: WHEN WAS THE 426 CROSSRAM DISCONTINUED - 08/25/11 02:14 AM

800 hp with a crossram is very impressive. I'm willing to bet that if he took that crossram off and replaced it with an Edelbrock Super Victor + Holley Dominator combo he would pick up some power.

But having said that, I do understand the reason why people want to run the crossram. It does look cool. I had one on my 426W '65 Coronet back when I was just out of high school. I always felt pretty cool cruising around town with the hood off and those two air cleaners sitting out there in the breeze.

Re: WHEN WAS THE 426 CROSSRAM DISCONTINUED - 08/25/11 04:34 AM

Quote:

Just wanted to make it clear you are not likely to make 800 HP with a stock unmodified cross ram as John insinuated could be done. Carry on with your crap slinging.

Who is slinging crap other that yourself ?

I didn't insinuate anything , i just pointed out one engine that is making 800HP with a crap intake and cast iron manifolds ...

Re: WHEN WAS THE 426 CROSSRAM DISCONTINUED - 08/25/11 05:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

And Ed's manifold is stock and unmodified.

Don't know , don't care ...

Short........ memory.
Posted By: moparsquid

Re: WHEN WAS THE 426 CROSSRAM DISCONTINUED - 08/25/11 05:10 AM

im running the x-ram on my 62 eddy max heads crower cam holleys, i havnt relly flogged it yet but it smokes the tires real easy.

Attached picture 6793967-53004.JPG
Posted By: 52savoy

Re: WHEN WAS THE 426 CROSSRAM DISCONTINUED - 08/25/11 05:25 AM

I didn't insinuate anything , i just pointed out one engine that is making 800HP with a crap intake and cast iron manifolds ...

They're a little slow south of the Mason-Dixon line so you need to forgive their comprehension skills.
Need to move this post over to "GENERAL" where and things are always

Re: WHEN WAS THE 426 CROSSRAM DISCONTINUED - 08/25/11 01:49 PM

Quote:

They're a little slow south of the Mason-Dixon line so you need to forgive their comprehension skills.
Need to move this post over to "GENERAL" where and things are always

Re: WHEN WAS THE 426 CROSSRAM DISCONTINUED - 08/25/11 02:25 PM

Good information. http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0701_mopar_intake_manifold/viewall.html

http://moparmuscle.automotive.com/30590/mopp-0708-max-wedge-engine-build/index.html

Re: WHEN WAS THE 426 CROSSRAM DISCONTINUED - 08/25/11 05:00 PM

I love the crossram look and I know it would look great on my 63. I just knew from Andy's book that other intakes can make more power then the crossram going by his test. Andy's book has some great real dyno test info. When I can afford it I most likely will go to the crossram setup. I plan to see what I can get from the single carb and then see how the crossram compares to it. Ron

Re: WHEN WAS THE 426 CROSSRAM DISCONTINUED - 08/25/11 05:56 PM

Ron if you look at the charts in the intake comparison the indy duel plane is only slightly better than the max wedge ram. Of coarse that is out of the box I am sure. I know from some study of the information available the Indy duel plane responds well to a little clean up. The other thing to take into consideration is the intake Andy was testing was the new Mopar Performance version of the cross ram which has more plenum volume and supposedly flows more than the originals. I have seen no back to back tests which I would find interesting along with a test of the A&A reproduction.

Re: WHEN WAS THE 426 CROSSRAM DISCONTINUED - 08/25/11 06:22 PM

It costs way too much money to do those comparison articles. I spent several thousand dollars buying all of the parts needed for the one article that I wrote. After selling the parts and being paid for the article I barely broke even.

Rounding up multiple cross rams with different carbs and such would cost at least $5000. A magazine might pay $1000 for the article so then you're in the hole a bunch. The parts can be sold but people only want to pay 50 cents on the dollar for used parts.

Re: WHEN WAS THE 426 CROSSRAM DISCONTINUED - 08/25/11 07:07 PM

Andy it's a shame manufacturers will not donate the parts for the exposier. It's free advertising for them. Hughes has some interesting information on the cross rams. They are using some of their research to advertise some of their services which is smart on their part.

http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/4portedintakemanifoldsupdated08272007.php

Re: WHEN WAS THE 426 CROSSRAM DISCONTINUED - 08/25/11 10:48 PM

Comparison articles are only free advertising for the intake that ranks the best. For the other guys, it isn't such a good deal.
© 2024 Moparts Forums