Moparts

Temperature spike after shut off on a new motor?

Posted By: Robbins

Temperature spike after shut off on a new motor? - 08/15/11 02:35 AM

My 440 has less than 500 miles on it and I was just curious to see what's normal for temperature spike after shut off.

Thanks for your time.
Posted By: topside

Re: Temperature spike after shut off on a new motor? - 08/15/11 02:43 AM

After driving around at 180-185, and then stopping for say a cup of take-out coffee, my mech gauge will say 200-210 after about 5 minutes when I get back in the car; it'll cool down to 180 after about 20 minutes or so of sitting.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Temperature spike after shut off on a new motor? - 08/15/11 02:45 AM

they will do that.

mine is about 20*-30* increase at shut down from a 40 mile run,maybe less in the winter.

I just added a 7 blade thrmo clutch fan to my BB in the 88 truck,it would climb past 190*-200* idleing for a long time with the 5 blade,it now stays right at 180* or just under.

has about 10*-20* increase now

Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Temperature spike after shut off on a new motor? - 08/15/11 04:23 AM

Iron heads? It's normal

The cast iron will hold heat, once it's shut off, that heat soaks into the water. Aluminum heads help to reduce this as they dissipate heat into the water faster, and won't "hold heat".

As long as the temps drop again once you start it and get the water flowing, then you don't have a problem. Only way to remedy the issue is to get an electric water pump and fan to continue the cooling after the engine is shut off, but going all electric cooling isn't needed on the street
Posted By: Robbins

Re: Temperature spike after shut off on a new motor? - 08/15/11 11:15 PM

Thanks guys I appreciate the feed back. I've got the live temp and guage on the dash also that I'm looking at also using the new temp gun from Amazon........Raytek(a fluke company)AutoPro gun. I was checking things out on it too.

It crawls up towing also, and once driving also. Not real bad, just thinking of going with the help of an electric fan, maybe in the shroud like my 2002 Dakota has.

Attached picture 6779813-IMG_2289.JPG
Posted By: Tony H

Re: Temperature spike after shut off on a new motor? - 08/16/11 03:01 PM

Just was playing with Thermoststs and E- fans last night on a new engine install. I shut off the engine, I left the E fans running. As the engine spiked about 15 degrees ( about 3 minutes after shutoff) I started it back up for about 5 seconds. The much cooler fan from the radiator was pumped into the Motor. Temp came down imediatley. I think this will be my shut down ritual in the future.
© 2024 Moparts Forums