Moparts

Leaf Spring Question:

Posted By: WyleECoyote

Leaf Spring Question: - 08/14/11 08:10 PM

Uhm.... when you take what appears to be a flat leaf spring out of a car, does it spring back to normal looking?

72 Imperial, 6,000-lbs - driver side spring was flat across and passenger side had some arch to it - giving me about a 2-inch height difference.

After getting them out - they both appear the same and as arched as the new ones.

Is it only evident that a spring is worn out when it has a full load on it?

Thanks!
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Leaf Spring Question: - 08/14/11 08:20 PM

Try putting an equal load on both springs & measure how much deflection occurs...

Or swap the springs side to side in the Imperial & see if the sag follows the spring or the car...

I know of a couple cars with frame issues that have been adjusted around to sit level but really need to go on a frame rack & be reworked...
Posted By: WyleECoyote

Re: Leaf Spring Question: - 08/15/11 03:30 AM

Quote:

Try putting an equal load on both springs & measure how much deflection occurs...

Or swap the springs side to side in the Imperial & see if the sag follows the spring or the car...

I know of a couple cars with frame issues that have been adjusted around to sit level but really need to go on a frame rack & be reworked...

Whew - that would be a LOT of work to swap the old springs side to side to see if the sag follows... I think I'd rather just install the new ones and hope that the old drivers side spring was "sprung" or had lost its "tinsel strength" and that part of the phenomena with sprung springs is that yes, they do go back to their original, arched shape with no load on them and appear "fine" when out of the car. I don't think I can return the new springs anyway even if that isn't the problem. Thanks for reading everyone!

© 2024 Moparts Forums