Moparts

Clutch fan spacing? how close is too close

Posted By: SanityLost

Clutch fan spacing? how close is too close - 08/13/11 09:20 PM

Rule of thumb is usually a 1/2" of clearance between the clutch on the fan and the Radiator, right?
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Clutch fan spacing? how close is too close - 08/13/11 09:25 PM

Correct, assuming the motor and trans mounts are in good shape and not letting the drivetrain move around too much...I've had closer and got away with it but I've also seen disasters reguarding the rad and fan trying to occupy the same space... The fan shroud is really the determining factor with how much/little spacing you need...Rule of thumb on that is blades half in/out the opening for optimum operation...
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Clutch fan spacing? how close is too close - 08/14/11 03:40 AM

I always thought the closer the better (within reason) till a guy (on here) awhile back made a good case 4 too close disrupting the airflow, something about close fin/fan proximity disrupting the airflow boundary. I believe a good shaped (correct one for the vehicle) shroud is a far better way 2 go (fan ~2/3 in) but yes w no shroud it needs to b fairly close EDIT iirc he suggested 3/4"
Posted By: goldmember

Re: Clutch fan spacing? how close is too close - 08/14/11 03:57 AM

1/2" from what? The tank?The core? This is very vague and not something that can be answered. 1/2" fore and aft is MUCH different from horizontal movement. Just guessing based on this info,NO you don't have enough.
Posted By: Charger VJ RB

Re: Clutch fan spacing? how close is too close - 08/14/11 08:22 AM

My stock 318 had 1.5 inch clearance. Rad core to tip of fan.

Re: Clutch fan spacing? how close is too close - 08/14/11 01:11 PM

Quote:

1/2" from what? The tank?The core? This is very vague and not something that can be answered.

Ummm, the core...
Posted By: None2Slow

Re: Clutch fan spacing? how close is too close - 08/14/11 04:04 PM

Do you have a shroud? If so, then you want the blades about halfway into the shroud. Ever see the shroud on a 70's Monte Carlo? Looks like a 50 gallon drum with the ends cut off. Your not going to put the fan 1/2" away from the core in that case. Need more info on what you have.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Clutch fan spacing? how close is too close - 08/14/11 04:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

1/2" from what? The tank?The core? This is very vague and not something that can be answered.

Ummm, the core...

I would consider 1/2" to be the MINIMUM. And you need to make sure your measuring at the closest spot--often the plane of the core isn't perfectly parallel with the plane of the fan.

A STIFF fan is better than one with a bit of flex in this case as high RPMs will try to make the blades reach forward a bit, couple that variable with chassis and engine movement and things can happen. But---if you put the car through the paces and the radiator is not contacted, you are probably ok.
Posted By: 1MYTGTX

Re: Clutch fan spacing? how close is too close - 08/14/11 05:02 PM

The MP viscous fan package put the clutch pretty much 1/2" away from the core...just enough to sneak a belt by it.

I am running a shorter clutch now from what I believe was a '72 400 with the max cool option. This still keeps the fan in the shroud pretty much half way but moves the clutch out about 1" from the core (safer distance for me)

I have heard of others running a clutch for a Jaguar with good results as well..

Attached picture 6777778-4-2-20073-26-01PM_0023.JPG

Re: Clutch fan spacing? how close is too close - 08/14/11 05:04 PM

This is the clutch I am using.
The 1" I get is with a recored 055 that is now a 3 core radiator
Using the stock '69 max cool 2863216 7 blade fan

Attached picture 6777781-3-13-20064-32-38PM_0008.jpg

Re: Clutch fan spacing? how close is too close - 08/14/11 06:28 PM

Just kicking the idea around of running a different fan in my Dart. I have a 440 in there and I'm running an aluminum HOWE rad with a modified ford shroud.
I have been running a flex fan for about 15 years now and was just thinking of possibly changing it out for something different, WHY?.... boredom I guess.
I have a 7 blade fan off a 72 440 sitting around and I thought hmmm maybe I should try this, well after measuring The fan from the mounting base to the front of the clutch its 3".
If I was to mount the assembly, the clutch would be about 1/4" away from the CORE and pretty far into the shroud.
I read somewhere about the Jaguar type setup and some guys swear by them others not. Anyone have some measurements on the Jaguar type?

Re: Clutch fan spacing? how close is too close - 08/14/11 07:24 PM

A few topics here...

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52932.0.html

Hayden 2765 or NAPA 261306

Re: Clutch fan spacing? how close is too close - 08/14/11 08:34 PM

Thanks Chris
Posted By: can.al

Re: Clutch fan spacing? how close is too close - 08/14/11 08:54 PM

...jag unit (XJ6) is about 2.6 high
.. any body try one?
..i just ordered one from summit..so i'm gonna' find out the hard way.
© 2024 Moparts Forums